584,879 active members*
5,305 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma VMC Model MB56VBR

Okuma VMC Model MB56VBR

Dear Experts
    Good Morning
    Yesterday component loading hoist hit the operator panel after loading component and after that CNC was not booting , but after pressing Reset, booted up
    Today it is not at all booting
    Request your advice
    Regards

Re: Okuma VMC Model MB56VBR

Hi Rishi
    Which OSP on the machine
    You can take a photo of the screen during download.

Check for E-stop circuit plug connection. If unplugged by jarring, CNC will not boot. Of course look for any other visible damage to control panel by impact.
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-20200523-WA0029.jpg  

Thanks to you all for response, please refer to details in attached image, sorry that i did not mention OSP details before
    Actually we found dust on CPU, cleaned and then booted up
    As u r aware, OS is windows Xp with I think 40GB Laptop Hard disk
    In Siemens 840D, we used to take clone of such Hard disk using Norton Ghost or Acronis Software and load the clone to fresh harddisk
    Then we used to connect fresh hard disk on the machine and keep machine hard disk as spare
    Please let us know if the same is possible in Okuma controller because local engineers are not very sure about and they are saying few files might get lost in the process of Imaging
    Regards

Hi Rishi
    OSR P200 works from under Windows XP
    The standard image Hard disk creation procedure
    You can use the Norton Ghost or Acronis Software
    But first you need to backup the machine parameters

Starting Windows XP Only
    If you are using the Maintenance Tools or Windows Explorer, it is necessary to start Windows XP
    only. [Outline Procedure]
    (1) Press the Power button from the Off state.
    (2) If the pointer such as is displayed on the Windows XP start screen , hold down the left side
    SHIFT key. (Immediately after cursor's being displayed)
    The Logon screen will be displayed. The defaults are as follows.
    User Name : Administrator
    Password : okuma + osp (all small letters).
    Press "OK" while holding down the SHIFT key to log on.
    (Push "SHIFT" at the same time as pushing "OK".)
    (3) Windows XP will start up without the NC equipment starting
    Double click on the following file in the Explorer screen and start the Maintenance Tool.
    C:\OSP-P\TOOLS\MaintenanceTool.exe
    The Maintenance Tool Menu screen will be displayed
    A shortcut will appear on the desktop MaintenanceTool

Thanks for detailed steps, we have already backed up Machine Parameters as per procedure shared by Okuma
    Regarding hard disk image, can we take out Hard disk of the machine, connect in stand alone PC and then clone Machine Hard disk using Norton or Acronis & finally restore this image to fresh hard disk and connect newly loaded Hard disk on the machine?
    Regards

Hi Rishi
    Question: Regarding hard disk image, can we take out Hard disk of the machine, connect in stand alone PC and then clone Machine Hard disk using Norton or Acronis & finally restore this image to fresh hard disk and connect newly loaded Hard disk on the machine?
    Answer: Yes, you can perform this procedure.
    Usually there are three discs with the new machine
    Disc 1 Windows XP
    Disk 2 OSP
    Disk 3 Model of the machine, if CAS is installed on the machine
    These three discs are enough to restore the machine to working position.

I would recommend against imaging the hard disk. The machine is constantly updating registers for things such as tool changes, pallet indexes, timers, counters, offsets, Zero sets, etc. so when you take the "snapshot" you are almost guaranteeing that your backup will be no good. Like Sergeyrusa said, the machine comes with recovery disks. User them as primary recovery tool. If you are going to do an update to the system, first do a backup, then update, then restore. That will give you the best chance of a flawless recovery. In the event of a hard disk failure, use the 3 disks and then your last backup. Yes it's a good idea to backup regularly. The machine also has a "DATA PIP" function for capturing settings. This can also allow you to capture setup information for each job, so you may want to read up on it. It can save tons of time when changing between jobs. It creates an editable text file for you that can save nearly every setting in the machine. I keep a copy of this TOP file on my computer as a regular snapshot as well. That way you can always look up a setting in the text file to see over time if anything changed from it's original settings. TOP stands for Tools, Offsets, and Parameters. It can be your good friend once you get to know it.

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    I would recommend against imaging the hard disk. The machine is constantly updating registers for things such as tool changes, pallet indexes, timers, counters, offsets, Zero sets, etc. so when you take the "snapshot" you are almost guaranteeing that your backup will be no good. Like Sergeyrusa said, the machine comes with recovery disks. User them as primary recovery tool. If you are going to do an update to the system, first do a backup, then update, then restore. That will give you the best chance of a flawless recovery. In the event of a hard disk failure, use the 3 disks and then your last backup. Yes it's a good idea to backup regularly. The machine also has a "DATA PIP" function for capturing settings. This can also allow you to capture setup information for each job, so you may want to read up on it. It can save tons of time when changing between jobs. It creates an editable text file for you that can save nearly every setting in the machine. I keep a copy of this TOP file on my computer as a regular snapshot as well. That way you can always look up a setting in the text file to see over time if anything changed from it's original settings. TOP stands for Tools, Offsets, and Parameters. It can be your good friend once you get to know it.

Best regards,
    Yes, back up before you do any modification, it is very important.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

hy rishikesh, you may remove the hdd for external backup, you may also put another inside the machine ... do whatever you wish, but don't edit data on the original hdd

i tried a while ago to replace the hdd with a ssd, but i could not succed in installing the windows, because the service team did not had enough time, and they were the only ones to have the operating system disk ... after a while, i was told that is not possible to install on any other random hdd ( okuma uses some kind of securities, i don't know )

did you succed with clonning ? kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Thank you so much to all for valuable suggestions, we are familiar with cloning but never done in Okuma hence sought expert opinion of u all - thanks for all the details
    Please find below our plan
    1. Two CDs viz Windows OS and OSP received with the machine
    2. Take out existing HDD and keep it safe
    3. Insert new blank HDD procured from local PC vendor'
    4. Insert external USB DVD drive to run Windows OS thro CD - by setting to Boot from CD (In BIOS)
    5. Switch off and take out Windows OS CD from DVD drive and replace it with OSP CD
    6. Switch ON machine and set booting to default (ie thro HDD) in BIOS
    7. In case OSP CD starts getting executed fine, else we will run .exe of OSP thro My Computer by locating USB DVD
    8. We will get into option of Restore and restore latest System and User backup thro USB stick

Please confirm if above steps are ok

Regards

hello rishikesh so far you were talking about clonning, now you are talking about installing osp to another hdd

Two CDs viz Windows OS and OSP received with the machine
    i have arround 6-10 cds / cnc, and i did not received the windows cd

however, most critical cds are OSP and Machine Model Data

... during windows installation, if i remember right, you will be asked to switch something inside the electrical cabinet
    ... at an external PC, create archives a.rar and b.rar ( filename is one char ), with contents of OSP and Machine Model Data cds
    ... after windows installation, copy inside D those 2 archives and extract their content to folder "a" and "b" ( paths will be D:\a and D:\b thus very short strings, in order to avoid issues with long path/filenames ... at least this is what i was told )
    ... 1st install osp, then machine model data

We will get into option of Restore and restore latest System and User backup thro USB stick
    i don't remember now, also i can't find my file with infos, but before windows installing, the service team did back-ups that i was not aware before ... there was something extra, but i can't remember what it was : so please doublecheck all required back-ups before anything else; it may be possible that the service team did a back-up that was not critical, but it was required by the procedure

also, i advice to run the restore procedure for all those back-ups before begining to install windows, thus do a repetition of backup&restore before removing your original HDD, writing down all required steps

i am not sure what involves that procedure with the switch inside the electrical cabinet, and i hope that you will be able to return to your original hdd, just in case something happens with your current instalation; i said this because i imagine that it does some kind of pair ( hdd-board in electrical cabinet ), i don't know / kindly

Thanks for your time and suggestions
    we dont have CD on Machine Model Data, is it because ours is older version of CNC?

hy, far as i know, the model data will deliver the base machine solids ( spindle, table/turret, tool senzor/tailstock, etc ) for the 3dmodel, which is futher used by cas, at least on osp300

by the way, did you considered testing how cloning works, before installing os+osp ? clonning should be risk-free, machine should work with it's original hdd, even if cloning process or cloned hdd will fail / kindly

Thanks again
    Instead of cloning, we plan to proceed as per following

Please find below our plan
    1. Two CDs viz Windows OS and OSP received with the machine
    2. Take out existing HDD and keep it safe
    3. Insert new blank HDD procured from local PC vendor'
    4. Insert external USB DVD drive to run Windows OS thro CD - by setting to Boot from CD (In BIOS)
    5. Switch off and take out Windows OS CD from DVD drive and replace it with OSP CD
    6. Switch ON machine and set booting to default (ie thro HDD) in BIOS
    7. In case OSP CD starts getting executed fine, else we will run .exe of OSP thro My Computer by locating USB DVD
    8. We will get into option of Restore and restore latest System and User backup thro USB stick

Please confirm if above steps are ok

Regards

OK
    The plan is right

Thanks for your confirmation, it helps building confidence