584,826 active members*
5,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Guidance please

Hello

I’m Mike. I own True North Marine Electronics based out of NIANTIC, CT. I have been researching CNC routers that I would be using to cut custom dash panels for boats that we work on. The materials we use are typically acrylic and a material called Starboard (similar to cutting board). Thicknesses are typically 1/8” to 1”. Our sizes are usually longer than they are tall. A sample size is about 38” and 18”. But many run longer and taller. I’ve been thinking about starting with a 4x4’ machine. I’m not ready to got to a 8x4‘ yet. But could be persuaded to a 24x36” if it makes sense. Any input you guys would have on brands would be great. I need high quality precision cuts. Not afraid to spend some money and am basically looking in the used market. I’d like to keep things at $10k-ish or under for my first router

Thank you
    Mike

Re: Guidance please

Hi,
    accurate cuts requires, amongst other things a rigid machine. Many improvements to machine accuracy simply involve slightly better components, say
    C5 ballscrews verses C7 or square rails verses round rails, all that is required is that you pay the extra required.

Machine rigidity is not something you can add....the machine is designed and built a certain way and short of a complete rebuild and/or redesign its rigidity
    is fixed. Rigid machines tend to have heavy to very heavy steel frames and I would suggest thats the type of machine you want.

You can often improve a basic machine by adding better parts but the frame of the machine will ultimately determine whats possible.
    Rigid does not come cheap.

Craig

Re: Guidance please

Starboard machines beautifully.Acrylic is a bit trickier to get a nice cut with.What the OP doesn't seem to go into is the means of holding the material in place.Will you be looking at a vacuum holding system or are you thinking of screwing -or bolting an oversize piece in place and then machining the outline with a few holding tags to secure the panel?One other thing to keep in mind is that the cost doesn't end with the machine,there are matters such as cutters,extraction,software and maybe a vacuum system to factor in.As far as size is concerned,you can probably work with a smaller machine than the width of your panels if you think ahead and break the job into sections that fit the machine.Some jigging from edges or apertures will almost certainly allow you to reposition the panel a bit further along and you may have to support the overhang for all parts of the various operations.