584,841 active members*
4,840 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > New spindle won't run

New spindle won't run

Initial setup on my CNC router build. I have a Huanyang GT series VFD powering my 2.2kw 220V spindle. The spindle "sputters" a half revolution on start up and that's it. It will not spin. I've triple checked VFD settings, factory reset, wiring checks and cannot get the motor to spin. Full transparency, I'm a complete novice on the VFD setup but I'm pretty confident on the wiring aspect. Any suggestions??

Re: New spindle won't run

Hi,
    as the VFD comes from the factory and certainly after you have done a factory reset the drive parameters will be set for a motor
    that has rated voltage (220VAC) applied at 60Hz.

Your sindle requires rated voltage at 400Hz and you are just causing a huge over-current fault with your spindle and risk blowing
    it and/or your VFD up. STOP!!!

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/spind...z-spindle.html

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by wmcrinc View Post
    Initial setup on my CNC router build. I have a Huanyang GT series VFD powering my 2.2kw 220V spindle. The spindle "sputters" a half revolution on start up and that's it. It will not spin. I've triple checked VFD settings, factory reset, wiring checks and cannot get the motor to spin. Full transparency, I'm a complete novice on the VFD setup but I'm pretty confident on the wiring aspect. Any suggestions??
    Don't keep running it until you have set the correct Parameter's or you will damage the spindle and VFD Drive

What are the spec's of your spindle and VFD Drive I most likely have the correct Parameters for you to set
    Mactec54

HY GT series, 220v 2.2kw VFD
    Spindle: 220v 8A 400Hz max speed 24000

Thank you for your help. I did immediately shut down thinking of possible damage.

HY GT series, 220v 2.2kw VFD
    Spindle: 220v 8A 400Hz max speed 24000

Thank you for your help. I did immediately shut down thinking of possible damage.
    This is what you will need to get you going there may be some adjustments once you have it running

If you have set anything else then you will need to do a Parameter ReSet
    GT 400Hz 220v 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle Settings
    P0.00=1

P0.01=0

P0.02=3

P0.03=400

P0.04=400

P0.05=120 ( 100 Minimum )

P0.06=400

P0.11=8 ( adjustable Acceleration )

P0.12=8 ( adjustable Deceleration )

P0.14= 6 ( 6 to 8 )

P0.17= ( 1 to Restore Factory Defaults ) ( 2 clears all Faults )

P1.01=10

P1.02=0

P2.01=2.2 ( Motor Kw Rating )

P2.02=400

P2.03=24000

P2.04=220

P2.05=8.5

P7.14= ?? ( VFD Rated KW )

P7.15= ?? ( VFD Rated output Amps )

Once these Parameters are set, you can then do a Autotune, you set Parameter P016=1 and Press Run, ( The Spindle Must Be Clear To Run )

For main wiring connect R Hot T Hot and Ground to the Ground Terminal, this is your connection for NA 240v single Phase
    Mactec54

Yes, those are the numbers that I was using. I have double checked the spindle cable for continuity as well as my power connections. Can I measure VFD output voltage with a standard DMM or isn't that the direction I should be looking? Wondering too if the spindle is defective. Don't really know how to determine if there is a VFD or spindle defect but I am familiar with basic electronic troubleshooting. These were all new parts and this is the initial startup test.

Kevin C.

Here is a little more info. Attached is a GIF showing the VFD display. The numbers fluctuate after I hit run. Same effect when I have the spindle attached HOWEVER, I noticed that the spindle tries to turn when the numbers are changing. Hoping there is an answer for this problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD-Readout.jpg  

Sorry, I tried to upload a GIF but it gets converted to a JPEG... not helpful. Basically, VFD in idle state shows "400.00". When I hit run the display shows 0000 for a few seconds and then some numbers flash, increasing in value and dropping, all very quickly and random numbers. The numbers fluctuate for maybe 1 or 2 seconds and then 0000's. This repeats every 4 or 5 seconds. Happens the same with the spindle attached except that's when the motor tries to start to move... maybe a quarter turn. When the display 0000's the spindle movement stops.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD-Readout.jpg  

The VFD could have been burned out.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Yes, those are the numbers that I was using. I have double checked the spindle cable for continuity as well as my power connections. Can I measure VFD output voltage with a standard DMM or isn't that the direction I should be looking? Wondering too if the spindle is defective. Don't really know how to determine if there is a VFD or spindle defect but I am familiar with basic electronic troubleshooting. These were all new parts and this is the initial startup test.

Kevin C.
    No you can not measure the output with a standard DMM

Post a photo of the wiring RST and UVW Terminals
    Mactec54

Sorry, I tried to upload a GIF but it gets converted to a JPEG... not helpful. Basically, VFD in idle state shows "400.00". When I hit run the display shows 0000 for a few seconds and then some numbers flash, increasing in value and dropping, all very quickly and random numbers. The numbers fluctuate for maybe 1 or 2 seconds and then 0000's. This repeats every 4 or 5 seconds. Happens the same with the spindle attached except that's when the motor tries to start to move... maybe a quarter turn. When the display 0000's the spindle movement stops.
    Remove / disconnect the spindle and see what happens
    Mactec54

PROBLEM SOLVED Per Huanyang instructions I did a factory reset and entered only the following values.

P0.00 = 0
    P0.03 = 400
    P0.04 = 400
    P0.06 = 400
    P2.02 = 400

Motor spun up like it should. I made the following additional entries:

P0.05 = 50 (for testing purpose only. will change to 100 later)
    P0.07 = 1 for some reason this enabled the variable speed control knob

I'll probably allow the spindle to run at 1/4 speed for 20 min. as an initial break in and then do an auto tune.

Hi,
    air cooled spindles overheat badly if you run them slowly, they are best run at 1/2 to full rpm.

Craig

PROBLEM SOLVED Per Huanyang instructions I did a factory reset and entered only the following values.

P0.00 = 0
    P0.03 = 400
    P0.04 = 400
    P0.06 = 400
    P2.02 = 400

I'll probably allow the spindle to run at 1/4 speed for 20 min. as an initial break in and then do an auto tune.
    That is not a good idea to use P0.05=50 unless the spindle manufacture has that in there spec's

So it would not run in Vector mode that is strange P0.00=0 is for V/F mode you can not auto tune in this mode for auto tune it has to be in Vector Mode P0.00=1 I know they have had a problem with there so called Vector Mode and mostly it does not work for 400Hz spindles it may work at 300Hz but after using auto tune at 300Hz parameter settings you would have to set the parameters back to 400Hz
    Mactec54

P0.00 = 0
    P0.03 = 400
    P0.04 = 400
    P0.06 = 400
    P2.02 = 400

You need all the other Parameters in the list I posted
    Mactec54