584,833 active members*
5,695 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal vmc 4020 computer problems! Help!

Fadal vmc 4020 computer problems! Help!

Hi everyone. We have a late 80’s vmc 4020 that has had its brains updated to the early 2000’s cpu and axis cards.

We fried our cpu a few months back and ordered a new one. After installing the new cpu and loading up our previous settings - the machine worked great..... for about 30 minutes. Even if I load a simple program that fits in the machines memory it will freeze at random points during the tool path. Sometimes it will freeze for 2 seconds. Sometimes for 15 minutes and then carry on like nothing happens. If you try to adjust anything or hit any buttons when it is frozen it is completely un responsive to key input. Except for emergency stop and coolant on and off.

We sent the cpu back having thought it was the culprit. Having installed the new one we have the exact same problem. We often don’t even have the ability to load a program now as the screen just cycles (hit the jog key to reset emergency stop) over and over until we are forced to shut the machine down.

Any suggestions? We’ve spent thousands to get this machine back up and with no luck!

Help!

Re: Fadal vmc 4020 computer problems! Help!

Have you run a diagnostic of the memory? Are you able to manually program the machine? Does MDI work?

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    Have you run a diagnostic of the memory? Are you able to manually program the machine? Does MDI work?
    Hi! Thank you so much for the reply. I am the operator but was born in 1994 so have no real experience with these machines.

Any program manual or not will freeze. However I am no sure how to run a diagnostic on the memory. Could you explain how to do this? I am the only employee who knows this machine and I only really know what I have taught myself.

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    How do I run a diagnostic on the memory? And no I have not tried to program machine manually.

We only use with rs232

Re: Fadal vmc 4020 computer problems! Help!

If machine has diagnostics.

from ENTER NEXT COMAND type DI (enter)
    G (space) 0 (space) 3000 (enter)

To exit go to 2nd page number 2 Start CNC

Or just turn off machine and then back on