584,846 active members*
4,579 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > RM1610 Ballscrews, are they CW or CCW?

RM1610 Ballscrews, are they CW or CCW?

I have bought many of these ballscrews in the past but I didn’t care about their rotation since they all were for CNC application where you can change the rotation thru a software.

But I want to buy some for a manual lathe project I’m working on now. I have one left over from my CNC projects but when I turn it CW the ballscrew moves towards me which is the wrong way.

Can you order these screws in CW or CCW rotation and how do you specify it. I don’t know if the Chinese know the difference of CW / CCW and I want to make sure I will get what I order.
    Nicolas

Re: RM1610 Ballscrews, are they CW or CCW?

CW/CCW is relative to the end you are referencing.
    i.e. Driving/Operating on.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by kolias View Post
    I have bought many of these ballscrews in the past but I didn’t care about their rotation since they all were for CNC application where you can change the rotation thru a software.

But I want to buy some for a manual lathe project I’m working on now. I have one left over from my CNC projects but when I turn it CW the ballscrew moves towards me which is the wrong way.

Can you order these screws in CW or CCW rotation and how do you specify it. I don’t know if the Chinese know the difference of CW / CCW and I want to make sure I will get what I order.
    Yes you can buy LH and RH pitch Ballscrews in your case it does not matter what way it turns as you can control that in software if it is for a manual machine then yes you can buy what you need
    Mactec54

You are right Al, in the attached picture at the right it should be the driving end (I will assume) since that’s the end where the motor normally will connect.

I’m referring at that end and asking if the ballscrew is considered CW/CCW looking at it from that end.
    In any case, can you order these ballscrews CW or CCW and how you specify it? Just ask for CW or CCW?

To me when I turn the ballscrew CW from the driving end the center mounting block should move away from you, but I could be wrong
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ball screwA.JPG  
    Nicolas

You are right Al, in the attached picture at the right it should be the driving end (I will assume) since that’s the end where the motor normally will connect.

I’m referring at that end and asking if the ballscrew is considered CW/CCW looking at it from that end.
    In any case, can you order these ballscrews CW or CCW and how you specify it? Just ask for CW or CCW?

To me when I turn the ballscrew CW from the driving end the center mounting block should move away from you, but I could be wrong
    No they way the Nut and Screw is it should move towards you ( the drive end ) when you turn it CW
    Mactec54

Here is one from Hiwin they are all different in how there spec's are this is just (1 ) example this is showing Right Hand
    Mactec54

Thank you mastec54 for the heads up. I forgot that we also call the rotation LH / RH but would LH = CCW and RH=CW? This way I can make sure the Chinese understand what I want.
    Nicolas

Screws are not spec'd as CW or CCW. They are either RH or LH.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Screws are not spec'd as CW or CCW. They are either RH or LH.
    Thank you ger21, now I know.
    Nicolas

Thank you mastec54 for the heads up. I forgot that we also call the rotation LH / RH but would LH = CCW and RH=CW? This way I can make sure the Chinese understand what I want.
    If you where ordering it from China I would write it out in the spec's as Left Hand Thread ( Pitch ) and Right Hand Thread ( Pitch )
    Mactec54

I will do so mastec54, thanks again
    Nicolas

In the past I have obtained mine from HiWin, they are excellent quality, out of Taiwan.
    They come with a thread quality resolution test chart
    A machinist I knew machined the ends for me, he had to use ceramic tooling they were so hard.
    Al.

Albert E.

I used to buy mine from Mr. Chai at eBay.com (linearmotionbearings) who has good reviews in this forum. Mr. Chai used to send them out for machining the ends to my specs and I was getting them ready to use.
    Do you have the link for HiWin?
    Nicolas

That was a while ago, someone on ebay used to bring them in by the dozen at a time and sell individually, I don't have the link any more.
    Al.

Albert E.