585,581 active members*
3,767 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Scm record1 with Num720B

Hi guys I’m new to this and just got myself a scm record 1 and I’m wondering if it is possible to use some computer cad program that works with it or if I have to rebuild it to use it with Cad, just ask if u need to know anything else.

//lars

Re: Scm record1 with Num720B

Hello.

Mostly out of curiosity. What drives is your machine using?

A client of mine has one old SCM 912 router where due to damage to the Bosch controller had to replace it. The drives are VICKERS AZSE PSP2S for DC BRUSHED SERVOMOTORS.The picture shows the drive system. One drive is missing as it was being repaired at that time.

If your machine runs under steppers or servos that require DIR & PULSE inputs it may prove useful and probably more economic to replace the control panel. One advantage of a new system is that you can do many things both at the machine or in an offline PC.

There are many PC based CNC controller. Many are virtually free as you can download the software but you still need to buy or make the interface (breakout) card but their cost is usually negligible. There are many posts in this forum about them.

By the way, I use AUTOCAD to do my contouring programs. Then I use DXF2GCODE (free program) to convert into an NGC program. After that I use a postprocessor to adequate the NGC code to the language of my machines.

I hope this gives you an idea in the right path.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMNet View Post
    Hello.

Mostly out of curiosity. What drives is your machine using?

A client of mine has one old SCM 912 router where due to damage to the Bosch controller had to replace it. The drives are VICKERS AZSE PSP2S for DC BRUSHED SERVOMOTORS.The picture shows the drive system. One drive is missing as it was being repaired at that time.

If your machine runs under steppers or servos that require DIR & PULSE inputs it may prove useful and probably more economic to replace the control panel. One advantage of a new system is that you can do many things both at the machine or in an offline PC.

There are many PC based CNC controller. Many are virtually free as you can download the software but you still need to buy or make the interface (breakout) card but their cost is usually negligible. There are many posts in this forum about them.

By the way, I use AUTOCAD to do my contouring programs. Then I use DXF2GCODE (free program) to convert into an NGC program. After that I use a postprocessor to adequate the NGC code to the language of my machines.

I hope this gives you an idea in the right path.

Regards.
    Vant answear the question yet since the machine is still at the seller posting a picture as soon as I can.

I know so little about Cnc yet so it’s hard for me to tell what is best, I know the machine is working as it is now but If its not to expensive I’d like to rebuild it to PC based since I’m more used to that.
    Have used autocad a bit myself and I got access to it by school.

Re: Scm record1 with Num720B

Quote Originally Posted by mullemeck View Post
    Vant answear the question yet since the machine is still at the seller posting a picture as soon as I can.

I know so little about Cnc yet so it’s hard for me to tell what is best, I know the machine is working as it is now but If its not to expensive I’d like to rebuild it to PC based since I’m more used to that.
    Have used autocad a bit myself and I got access to it by school.
    Hello again.

If you haven´t bought it yet, may I suggest that you check the current availability of spare parts? While servicing and retrofitting is my main business and I should not complain on that, at least down here in Mexico it is very difficult to get replacements in the electronics area. That´s what has led to major retrofitting replacing the controllers.

But mechanical spares, well that´s quite another problem. I have seen machines scrapped due to the lack of spare parts.

My intention is not to alarm you. It is simply to prevent you from buying an apparent bargain that in the long run means extra expenses.

One question I tell my clients to formulate is this. Why is this particular machine being sold? Many industrialists sell their machines while they can still be sold as such. That is while they still work. Yet either they were replaced by newer more productive machines or in many instances due the fact that the operating costs have been rising namely the maintenance procedures and availabily of spare parts producing long down times.

I hope this does not discourage you. Just try to find someone probably a teacher who can help you decide on what machine to buy.

Please let me know what you end up with.

Regards.

Hello.

Mostly out of curiosity. What drives is youre machine
    Regards.
    Hi again! Now I’ve been and seen it and everything looks good so far.
    I’m attacking pictures of my drives.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 835EAAC5-B749-40C0-9F7A-E7287102E930.jpg  

Hello again.

If you haven´t bought it yet, may I suggest that you check the current availability of spare parts? While servicing and retrofitting is my main business and I should not complain on that, at least down here in Mexico it is very difficult to get replacements in the electronics area. That´s what has led to major retrofitting replacing the controllers.

But mechanical spares, well that´s quite another problem. I have seen machines scrapped due to the lack of spare parts.

My intention is not to alarm you. It is simply to prevent you from buying an apparent bargain that in the long run means extra expenses.

One question I tell my clients to formulate is this. Why is this particular machine being sold? Many industrialists sell their machines while they can still be sold as such. That is while they still work. Yet either they were replaced by newer more productive machines or in many instances due the fact that the operating costs have been rising namely the maintenance procedures and availabily of spare parts producing long down times.

I hope this does not discourage you. Just try to find someone probably a teacher who can help you decide on what machine to buy.

Please let me know what you end up with.

Regards.
    I had already bought it so it was kind of to late, hopefully it will work out for me thanks for the heads up thought.
    It was sold from a woodworking shop who’s closing down.