585,737 active members*
4,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal Hobby Machine Rebuild

Fadal Hobby Machine Rebuild

Well, I got my Fadal "online auction special" placed in my workshop and I've started going through the machine. Unfortunately, the machine is a little more worn out than I had hoped for and will need a bit more work (and money) than anticipated. That said, I've seen some amazing work by guys here on this forum and elsewhere bringing life back to these older Fadals.

While to get power to the machine, I've started to clean and go through the machine as best as I can without power. Right now there are some obvious things I'm seeing that I'll have to replace, but I came across this rust/pitting on the Z axis after manually lifting the head which makes me wonder if I should just turn this into a part/donor machine or minimize how much I spend trying to fix up this one.

The Z-Axis has pitting/staining near the home position (wrapping around all three sides) which looks like coolant/fluid getting trapped behind the way wiper(s). I already tried a few things to try and remove it, but unfortunately it's too late. I can definitely still feel the spots when rubbing my finger / nail over it.

Re: Fadal Hobby Machine Rebuild

Get the high spots off and down't worry about it. Small pits hold oil and as long it's not a huge crater it will be fine.
    How's the rest of the ways? Mine were stained from nasty lube oil and I used scrotch brite and cleaned them up and its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    Get the high spots off and down't worry about it. Small pits hold oil and as long it's not a huge crater it will be fine.
    How's the rest of the ways? Mine were stained from nasty lube oil and I used scrotch brite and cleaned them up and its fine.
    Yes exactly just knock off the high spots, sand the sharp edges a little, then wetsand the whole area you were working on and you will be fine. Looks bad but wont cause any problem at all.

Yeah Don't worry about the Pits and Stains. The bad thing is if the turcite (the green bronze filled type material that rides on the Ways) comes loose