Hi everyone. It’s been a while since I’ve posted on the forums, for the past few years I’ve been busy working, overtime every week, etc. But now, like so many other people, I now find myself with some spare time on my hands, and a new project to work on.

And I need some help!

I bought a couple of surplus linear stages for an industrial quality 3d printer build. Now I am trying to decide how I should power them.

The stages came with AC servos.

Tamagawa Seiki
TBL-S
TS4073N9E31
300W
200V

I tried to find some more info on these from the Tamagawa Seiki website, but was unsuccessful. It looks like the “TBL-S” series is a legacy product, and I could only find info for their current line of servos. Does anyone know where I can find a manual or product catalog for these?

They are quite large, almost the size of a Nema 34. Much larger than the new series from Tamagawa Seiki that replaced them. There are 4 wires for the motor and about 15 wires for the encoder.

It would be nice to figure out a way to use them. They are absolutely brand new, never been used.

For the control board, I’m heavily leaning towards either a Duet 2 or a Duet 3 running an expansion board. These boards are specifically made for 3d printers and have great support and software options geared towards 3d printing. To do this I would need a servo driver that can accept step / dir inputs. Any suggestions, preferably something I can find surplus on EBay? Something that has a single phase 110VAC input would be ideal.

I am considering running them at a lower voltage. The link below is an old thread some of this was discussed previously. I'm also looking to find a Kv rating for these servos, which is explained by jfong in post #11 in the thread below. Like I mentioned, these servos have been replaced by newer versions and I can't seem to find any literature on them.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/servo...33064-cnc.html

I was thinking of using the Leadshine ACS806, which is an AC servo driver, but has a max input of 80VDC, which I assume translates into about 80 VAC after the driver.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

A couple of concerns I have….

1. I have no idea if the servo encoder on the Tamagawa Seiki servos is compatible with these drivers.

2. I don’t know how using lower voltage will affect the performance.

For stepper motors, running at a higher voltage effects the torque available at higher RPM’s, and running at higher current affects the torque available at low RPM. For example, you can have the exact same holding torque on a stepper motor that is running at a lower voltage.

But for these AC servo motors I'm not sure what will happen.

Does it reduce the torque at low RPM or does it only affect the performance at higher RPM’s? I don’t need to be able to run these servos at 3000 RPM.

Another option is to run these linear stages using Nema 23 stepper motors, but for a 3d printer, it would be really nice to be able to use servos.

Any input is appreciated.