584,842 active members*
4,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Mesa

Post Mesa

Hi all,

Looking for mesa boards in Australia. Im after a 7i76e for my current router build and a 7i96 + Thcad for when I upgrade the plasma.
    Im not in a great hurry and will order from the US if needed.

TIA

Re: Mesa

I can probably help. I have the 7i96 and THCADS in stock. The 7i76e I have was a freeby from Mesa so untested... So I'd rather not sell it. The others are all new. so send me a PM.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    I have THCADS in stock.
    Rod,

are you a distributor of these. I'm currently using THCAD-300 with my DIY torch height control, but may later use the low voltage one with a resistor to get better resolution.

I don't think I need much above 150 volts and can scale the low voltage THCAD to suit me.

Keith

Keith, Eventually I think I will be but you need a bit of volume re MOQ's to offer a decent price. It is possible to convert your THCAD-300 to a THCAD-10 by swapping out the 10 through hole resistors for ones of a different value. PCW from Mesa has mentioned it but I'm sure if you asked on the Linuxcnc forum, he would tell you exactly what to do.

And yes its quite valid to use a reduced range for greater accuracy becasue the THCAD is able to handle overvoltage to 500 volts indefinitely. I use a THCAD-10 with no scaling resistors to give me 300 volts full scale and I have seen it go off the chart. But you don't care about that as the THC is not active. ON my old plasma, I had 240V full scale.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Thanks for that info Rod.

10 resistors is a lot cheaper than a new board so I might do that at some point.

Keith

Rod,

I will be needing some more Mesa boards in the future and would be happy to support an Aus seller.

Won't have a firm idea of what I need for a while, but will be something for a ~4 axis servo machine with encoder feedback.

Keep us updated if you end up stocking a range.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Rod,

I will be needing some more Mesa boards in the future and would be happy to support an Aus seller.

Won't have a firm idea of what I need for a while, but will be something for a ~4 axis servo machine with encoder feedback.

Keep us updated if you end up stocking a range.
    Pippin, no worries, the plan is to bring a Mesa based plasma controller to market here an in the US so when that gets a bit further down the track I'll probably end up stocking a bit more.

Sounds like a 7i77 or a 7i95 would work for you. I don't know your plans, but I'd be tempted to try the 80ST servos out of China.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Likely to be step/dir signal to the servos as that seems to be the standard for new servos.

Encoder input will be for linear scales.

Thinking Delta servos.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

It depends where your controller PC is located.
    Motherbopard In the control box 5i25 or 6i25 + Mesa 7i76 (5 axis step and dir + spindle encoder) + 7i85s (4 encoders)
    PC via Ethernet 7i76e + 7i85s or the new 7i95 step/dir + encoders - which might not be in stock)
    If you have some controls you want to keep also consider the 7i73 which connects via smart serial.
    Also their DIN rail standoffs. make life easy.
    Mesa also have a very neat common block with 2 x 12 blocks commoned which I think would be great for field power in a very compact footprint. Shown below to the right of the 7i96
    ( mocked up for basic plasma setup)
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

not to birng up an old post, i have a bridgerport vmc 1000 with a 22 tool changer, i was considering the Messa G3 but it doesnt support analogue drivers/servos's, wondering if the Mesa + LCNC would do the trick, and how hard it is to wire and setup?

Quote Originally Posted by oz_eight6 View Post
    not to birng up an old post, i have a bridgerport vmc 1000 with a 22 tool changer, i was considering the Messa G3 but it doesnt support analogue drivers/servos's, wondering if the Mesa + LCNC would do the trick, and how hard it is to wire and setup?
    It can certainly be done. It depends a bit on if you can reuse the existing servos or replace them which way you go.

The Mesa 7i77 supports 6 x 0-10 volt servos and connects to a PCI/PCIe with a 5i25/6i25 depending on your PC bus. The 7i85 is often added to this to provide more I/O
    There is an ethernet version of this, the 7i97
    the ethernet 7i95 has 6 step/dir interfaces with 6 encoder inputs.
    So it depends on if you want to embed the PC in the machine or have it remotely which way you go..

I've got no experience with Toolchangers but there have been many retrofits that provide full support using Linuxcnc and mesa hardware.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Also, its a bit long winded but I did a video of setting up a mesa 7i76e here that covers all the basics of using IO.It was plasma oriented so no spindle..
    https://youtu.be/75tAJ4tdBgs
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au