584,841 active members*
4,437 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Opus CNC ?

Question Opus CNC ?

Hi,

I stumbled across this forum whilst looking for a new laser machine. So far I've read some very informative posts :P

I'm was hopefully looking for to purchase a western machine primarily for spares availability and technical / service assistance, and have been flicking between Trotec, Epilog and Opuscnc. I have found loads of information on Trotec and Epilog ( great history and reviews and at the very top stretch of my budget for a 6090) however OpusCNC seems quite elusive - Companies house does however show a reasonable turnover for a fairly new (3 year) company.

Does anyone have experience / first hand reviews / comments of Opuscnc machines, I see their machines are designed in the UK however I suspect constructed in the East ?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Re: Opus CNC ?

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

Trotec and Epilog are manufacturers. They research, design and produce machines using their own technology.

Opuscnc is a reseller. They buy cheap low-quality machines from China and resell them with a markup in the UK. Their machines are not designed in the UK. If they claim that, they are lying. There are hundreds of similar retail companies.

Besides
    Trotec and Epilog there are 3 other companies producing similar quality machines - ULS, Gravograph and GCC.
    All 5 are big companies and most likely have representatives in the UK.

If I have to pick between the 5, Trotec would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Storen View Post
    Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

Trotec and Epilog are manufacturers. They research, design and produce machines using their own technology.

Opuscnc is a reseller. They buy cheap low-quality machines from China and resell them with a markup in the UK. Their machines are not designed in the UK. If they claim that, they are lying. There are hundreds of similar retail companies.

Besides
    Trotec and Epilog there are 3 other companies producing similar quality machines - ULS, Gravograph and GCC.
    All 5 are big companies and most likely have representatives in the UK.

If I have to pick between the 5, Trotec would be my choice.

Hi Storen,

Thank you and thanks for your feedback its much appreciated.

I double checked the Opuscnc website and this is the quote from their about page:

"Our goal is to continue to provide high-quality machinery and exceptional aftercare support.
    Opus machines were designed in the UK by our team of expert engineers after many years of research and testing."

It would seem a little worrying if that statement wasn't true. Would it be possible to point me in the direction you looked to clarify there just cheap Chinese imports?, I feel that would need reporting to the ASA.

I was also leaning towards the Trotec prior to stumbling across Opuscnc, I must admit the reviews are very impressive for Trotec and the availability of spares and customer service seems second to none. Taking into account the quality of the Trotec machines do you / would you ever think of purchasing as a second user? If I decided to go this route it appears I could possibly have a larger format machine for my budget enabling to step up production / move into different areas sooner.

I will look into the other brands you have suggested

Many Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craftingkaz View Post
    Opus machines were designed in the UK by our team of expert engineers after many years of research and testing.
    Ha ha they are shameless aren't they ))

From the very few pictures on their website I can see that their housing (metal cabinet), drive system, controller and software, laser head are typical, generic, low-cost Chinese components.
    In such cases the right question is - What exactly their "team of expert engineers" contributed with? The selection of colors? Even in that regard I feel they need help

There is an easy way to distinguish real manufacturers with R&D departments - they all have proprietary controllers and software. Of course they have other unique, patented technologies, but this is the easiest thing to see without even opening the machine.

Opuscnc are not alone in what they do. There are many other similar companies preying on less informed buyers. My impression is there are more such companies in the UK than it the USA (where I am) for some reason. I don't know what is ASA but it seams they aren't doing very good job regulating them.

BTW if you are curious about Chinese machines go to alibaba.com and search for "laser engraving machine".
    When ordering from China anyone can request slight modifications to the housing like vent. holes, location of switches, colors, add your own logo, etc. and become a "manufacturer" as Opuscnc overnight

Its such a shame that one has to read so far between the lines to understand what a company is really saying.

Thanks for the outsider with knowledge opinion, its very appreciated.

Onto Trotec !

Hi, the benefit of using resellers is that they provide back up/support etc so their mark up will cover that. Also If OPUS, MANTECH etc are resellers are not recommended for CNC routers, which companies would you recommend in the UK? Regarding Proprietry controllers, is this a bad thing? My current machine has the machine manufacturers controller etc and for servicing, spare parts etc only the manufacturer can help at large costs...
    Thanks