584,842 active members*
4,683 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CHEAP CERMARK.

Hi everybody.

I´m Giaccomo Alvarez. I have been researching about stainless steel black-engraving materials for about 6 years, and for about 3 years I have been using a self-made concotion to engrave stainless steel (3 years without buying a single can of Cermark!). Everybody knows the formula involves Molybdenum.

One big drawback of my formula is that you have to stir the container and use it immediatly, because it sediments quicly to the bottom.

About 6 weeks ago I was researching on a solar panel forum (molybdenum is used on solar panels) and found a way to vastly improve the properties of the formula. Now it behaves exactly and BEYOND the commercial Cermark formula. It even engraves darker than original Cermark.

Anyone would be interested if I shared the formula? Maybe on a kickstarter pledge. Suggestions are welcome.

Re: CHEAP CERMARK.

I would be interested!

Cermark is way too expensive. I don't use too much of it, but it would sure be nice to have an alternative I could make myself.

Thanks for your interest, Derekja,

I would definitely be glad to share this little discovery.
    May you tell me a little more about you? How much do you use Cermark m your work line? Are you in the USA? How much do you pay for a bottle of Cernark?

Best regards!

Re: CHEAP CERMARK.

I'm in Canada, actually. I run a makerspace in Victoria, BC (https://makerspace.ca/). So most of the users of the laser cutter are hobbyists, small business folks, etc. I usually get my cermark from ebay or amazon and it's about $50 CAD for 25g of paste. I usually go through a couple bottles per year is all, but would probably use it more if it were not so expensive. Part of my job (well, volunteer job) is to help the makerspace members get their product ideas off the ground, so I'm sure if price were less of a concern it would find more use in their products. Thanks!

Derek