585,728 active members*
4,291 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Milling > Looking to buy Starter Mill.. Does it exist?

Looking to buy Starter Mill.. Does it exist?

Looking to a mill.. does not HAVE to have a ATC right off the bat, since ATC are usually 86.6% of the mill's base price.. but I would like to have the option to add it on later,, such as the tormach.. I have a budget of about 6000 - 7000usd I have the Tormach currently as my only option.. Perhaps someone else out there can provide some suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Looking to buy Starter Mill.. Does it exist?

I guess I would buy a used machine that has an ATC. A lot of them available on your price range.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I guess the next question would be is are you looking to make parts the first day or are you working your way into learning a new skill? I am ready to part with the machine I bought as a learning platform. Someone can get the whole thing including clamping, TTS tool holders, collets, a 4 inch double vise and some other odds and ends well under your budget. I have moved on to a larger machine now that I understand the processses so my BF20L is sitting wiating for a new home.

Obviously if you are looking to go into production of parts pretty quickly there would be better used options possibly available.

You'll probably regret not getting a more substantial machine you can "grow into" as opposed to getting something underwhelming now that will just limit you later. I'd imagine there will be a number of good machines up for auction with the economy in turmoil and people retiring and liquidating their shops.

Edit: If you just need to mill something, get a used bridgeport with digital readouts and power feed and you'll have a great piece to add to your shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Pski3018 View Post
    Looking to a mill.. does not HAVE to have a ATC right off the bat, since ATC are usually 86.6% of the mill's base price.. but I would like to have the option to add it on later,, such as the tormach.. I have a budget of about 6000 - 7000usd I have the Tormach currently as my only option.. Perhaps someone else out there can provide some suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
    Where did you get that number? :stickpoke

I would buy a used real machine. Bare minimum a Haas or Fadal.

Start with a makerplace or somewhere where you rent their machine. Learn programming first. work in a cnc shop operating.
    Been doing this too long