584,841 active members*
4,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Chinese G Penny Spindle - anyone tried one?
Page 1 of 2 12

Chinese G Penny Spindle - anyone tried one?

I have had a 2.2kw Chinese Spindle with a Huanyang Inverter for YEARS! Ages without any issues at all. Awesome little cheap spindle. I am going to upgrade to something, need to do it quickly. Only cutting alloy and timber.

Has anyone tried out the 3.5kw G-Penny spindle? There is a choice of Huanyang 4.0Kw Inverter or a 3.7Kw Fuling Inverter. I just cant decide on which one..... really..... I cant. Care to add to my thoughts friends?

1) Tempted to go for the Huanyang. Its a larger inverter, will have to do less work, and is tried and tested model.

2) Also, I have 3ph in my shed already. Is it a good assumption that putting 3P into an inverter to just change the frequency for speed control, is a lot better than the inverter having to change 1P to 3P - THEN alter the frequency? Know what I mean? The 3P is a better bet huh?

3) Or, back to inverters, do Fuling make better inverters than Huanyang. The 3.7Kw is superior?

4) Or, is a G-Penny spindle a piece of poo and I should stay away from it.

Be great to hear your thoughts. This forum is great!

Oh. Links to what I think looks good for not much money. Also - I dont have time to build anything. Just need the setup.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283...4fe51ec7WSZ1D6

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283...3ad64489feOFbJ

Boydage

Re: Chinese G Penny Spindle - anyone tried one?

Quote Originally Posted by boydage View Post
    I have had a 2.2kw Chinese Spindle with a Huanyang Inverter for YEARS! Ages without any issues at all. Awesome little cheap spindle. I am going to upgrade to something, need to do it quickly. Only cutting alloy and timber.

Has anyone tried out the 3.5kw G-Penny spindle? There is a choice of Huanyang 4.0Kw Inverter or a 3.7Kw Fuling Inverter. I just cant decide on which one..... really..... I cant. Care to add to my thoughts friends?

1) Tempted to go for the Huanyang. Its a larger inverter, will have to do less work, and is tried and tested model.

2) Also, I have 3ph in my shed already. Is it a good assumption that putting 3P into an inverter to just change the frequency for speed control, is a lot better than the inverter having to change 1P to 3P - THEN alter the frequency? Know what I mean? The 3P is a better bet huh?

3) Or, back to inverters, do Fuling make better inverters than Huanyang. The 3.7Kw is superior?

4) Or, is a G-Penny spindle a piece of poo and I should stay away from it.

Be great to hear your thoughts. This forum is great!

Oh. Links to what I think looks good for not much money. Also - I dont have time to build anything. Just need the setup.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283...4fe51ec7WSZ1D6

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283...3ad64489feOFbJ

Boydage
    The G-Penny make a good spindle I have used them they are more robust than the regular spindles they normally have a larger rotor and can pull more amps and run at a lower speed so over all they are one of the best for the price I have not run an air cooled one only there water cooled

Huanyang make a good VFD Drive which is best Fuling or Huanyang I would go with the 4Kw which is always going to be better, it is your choice both are good VFD Drives, Programing is key as to how well the VFD Drive and spindle last, the spindle you have a link to has ceramic bearings that is a plus for a longer life and smoother running

If you are using a tool setter you have to use the switch type as you won't have Grounding through the tool because of the ceramic bearings this can be corrected by adding a Grounding brush to the rotor if needed

3Ph is good better performance and less amps on the input supply required, you still need an EMI Power filter and all correct Grounding of the VFD Drive and Spindle
    Mactec54

Hi. Great. I ordered it today.

I am quite particular about grounding - especially when Mach 3 uses the frame as one leg of the probing. My whole setup is bonded. I did wonder about the probe operation with ceramic bearings, curious how to install a grounding brush to the rotor do you have an example?

Also the EMI Power Filter. This is for the input to the inverter?

Hi. Great. I ordered it today.

I am quite particular about grounding - especially when Mach 3 uses the frame as one leg of the probing. My whole setup is bonded. I did wonder about the probe operation with ceramic bearings, curious how to install a grounding brush to the rotor do you have an example?

Also the EMI Power Filter. This is for the input to the inverter?
    Yes you mount the power EMI Filter close to the VFD Drive this is a good Filter to get TDK Lambda this is for your 3Ph Power
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mactec54

Hey so I have still not completed my deal with G Penny. Trying to get an inverter to accept 3ph input which here in NZ is 460v. Weird they said the 380v Fuling was unable to accept the higher input voltage. And also with the HY inverter.

What I am doing now is looking at changing up to a 4.5Kw spindle which would come with a HY5.5Kw inverter. I see also the HY inverter is a 380VAC 3P input +/-15. Thats Max 437v.

Question - what do you guys think about putting 460v into an inverter with 380v +/-15v input specs? We are talking 23 volts. I know what the supplier is going to say. Keen to hear what you think. I would MUCH rather feed 3P into this piece of kit, whats 4.5Kw in single phase 230v...... umm... not much under 20A.

Thoughts? Regards Boydage

Are you sure that it's 460v?

I can only find 400v listed as three phase for NZ.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Hey so I have still not completed my deal with G Penny. Trying to get an inverter to accept 3ph input which here in NZ is 460v. Weird they said the 380v Fuling was unable to accept the higher input voltage. And also with the HY inverter.

What I am doing now is looking at changing up to a 4.5Kw spindle which would come with a HY5.5Kw inverter. I see also the HY inverter is a 380VAC 3P input +/-15. Thats Max 437v.

Question - what do you guys think about putting 460v into an inverter with 380v +/-15v input specs? We are talking 23 volts. I know what the supplier is going to say. Keen to hear what you think. I would MUCH rather feed 3P into this piece of kit, whats 4.5Kw in single phase 230v...... umm... not much under 20A.

Thoughts? Regards Boydage
    NZ power supply is normally referred to as 400v for there 3ph supply, if your voltage is to high then you would need a Transformer to make the corrected output you need, but I don't see a problem with a normal 400v rated VFD Drive having a problem

You can't use single phase if you want your spindle of that size to perform at it's best

Your VFD Drive is always better if it has a larger capacity than the spindle, this is the normal way to buy them

Your normal supply should not be over 415v
    Mactec54

Both of you brought me back to my senses! Completely lost in the project, thinking the three phase is at absolute opposites of the 230v 1p we have here. I was wrong its not 460 here its 400-415vac 3p.

Yes. Yes correct. I will be going for the 380VAC 3P 5.5Kw Inverter and 4.5KW spindle

Hi there me again. Couple questions I am not sure about.

I just wired in a LC1D32 contactor I had in my box of bits. This to control the input side of the 3 phase HY5.5 VFD. Reading in the book I it says not to use an electromagnetic contactor as the on/off of power supply for the inverter. This I dont understand. The LC1D32 is a decent size motor start contactor - I can only think of inrush current is there something else I need to consider and use other means to turn the VFD on/off? Do I pull out the contactor I just put in. Confused.

Also. What do you guys use to control your VFD speed using Mach 3 and a Chinese BOB? I am thinking I will use the pwm output of the board, run that through a converter I have here to get 0-10vdc and do it that way. Is that the best?

Parameter settings. Anyone know the best setup for the HY5.5kw / 4.5kw Spindle to get maximum performance and not smoke it?

Lastly - I am unsure the minimum speed of this spindle. Someone said 6000rpm was pretty safe.

Would be good to hear from those that know more than I (most ha)

regards

Hi there me again. Couple questions I am not sure about.

I just wired in a LC1D32 contactor I had in my box of bits. This to control the input side of the 3 phase HY5.5 VFD. Reading in the book I it says not to use an electromagnetic contactor as the on/off of power supply for the inverter. This I dont understand. The LC1D32 is a decent size motor start contactor - I can only think of inrush current is there something else I need to consider and use other means to turn the VFD on/off? Do I pull out the contactor I just put in. Confused.

Also. What do you guys use to control your VFD speed using Mach 3 and a Chinese BOB? I am thinking I will use the pwm output of the board, run that through a converter I have here to get 0-10vdc and do it that way. Is that the best?

Parameter settings. Anyone know the best setup for the HY5.5kw / 4.5kw Spindle to get maximum performance and not smoke it?

Lastly - I am unsure the minimum speed of this spindle. Someone said 6000rpm was pretty safe.

Would be good to hear from those that know more than I (most ha)

regards
    Solid state Relay work the best, but what you have can be Ok if you add a Reactor and EMI Power Filter before the Drive, Contactors / Starters can be nasty not only from the inrush just from the switching that is why any well planed wiring of AC motors should always have a Filter of some kind

First we have to figure out which VFD copy you brought it is not a HY VFD by the look of it, but a copy it looks like it is Ask Power VFD which is one that a lot get cought out with, it's Ok and will work for your machine I have all the Parameters that would get you going, most in your case would be the VFD Drives Default

6,000 RPM is only safe if the mechanics of your machine can handle 6,000 which in normal state can not be run at 6,000RPM
    Mactec54

Thanks. I am installing an EMI filter although not sure about a reactor to use?

It was an interesting sale with Best who are the agents for G-Penny. When I was looking at purchasing the smaller 3.5kw setup they well and truly steered me away from the 4.0kw HY inverter saying it was unstable, that the Fuling was much better. But now I have gone for the 5.5kw VSD they are saying the HY is better - well better price - its on special. I have told them I will be setting up more machinery and that this one needs to perform well. I dont know if its fake or not how do I know? This is their page https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3222...7b67725cklt5zY

Noted on the speed. Are you talking about the rigidity of my gantry etc? A lot of the preset feeds and speeds inside Fusion 360 have spindle speeds at 5000rpm. Is this for a CNC mill with a super solid and rigid mill.

Thanks. I am installing an EMI filter although not sure about a reactor to use?

It was an interesting sale with Best who are the agents for G-Penny. When I was looking at purchasing the smaller 3.5kw setup they well and truly steered me away from the 4.0kw HY inverter saying it was unstable, that the Fuling was much better. But now I have gone for the 5.5kw VSD they are saying the HY is better - well better price - its on special. I have told them I will be setting up more machinery and that this one needs to perform well. I dont know if its fake or not how do I know? This is their page https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3222...7b67725cklt5zY

Noted on the speed. Are you talking about the rigidity of my gantry etc? A lot of the preset feeds and speeds inside Fusion 360 have spindle speeds at 5000rpm. Is this for a CNC mill with a super solid and rigid mill.
    Do you have the manual this will tell you, the Parameters for the HY start with a PD for there regular VFD Drive they are not fake they are similar don't have all the bells and whistle's just a little different to program, they are made buy different manufactures using a similar platform

Best is one of the copies Ask Power is another which are both very similar they work ok there are many of them being used

On the speeds my mistake with your spindle I think 6000 RPM and above will be fine but you will have to watch the temperature at 6,000 RPM as you have air cooled, normally they have to run at higher RPM's to keep them cool

Yes you only need the EMI Power Filter mounted close to the VFD Drive's input power
    Mactec54

The awesome feeling of unwrapping new spindles and inverters arrived today. Just wondering, the Spindle is a 300Hz 18000rpm model do I need to change the main frequency setting of the inverter to match? I am going to check what the factory will have set the inverter up. But is it a "demand" kind of thing or a "delivery" kind of thing with these motors? What would happen if I try to wack 400hz into a max 300hz motor? Overspeed?

Any assistance will be good It is a few more kw than my baby 2.2

The awesome feeling of unwrapping new spindles and inverters arrived today. Just wondering, the Spindle is a 300Hz 18000rpm model do I need to change the main frequency setting of the inverter to match? I am going to check what the factory will have set the inverter up. But is it a "demand" kind of thing or a "delivery" kind of thing with these motors? What would happen if I try to wack 400hz into a max 300hz motor? Overspeed?

Any assistance will be good It is a few more kw than my baby 2.2
    You have to use the correct Parameters to suit your spindle spec's or you will smoke your spindle, all VFD Drive will have to have the Parameters set they are not set at the factory they are by default 50Hz or 60Hz this is standard across all manufactures
    Mactec54

Hey so I had the strangest thing happen today. I am in the middle of upgrading my control box, and am also manufacturing a new Z axis. So my router is kind of in a bit of a shambles really - I still have my old VFD installed because I need to use it to make the Z that will take the new spindle.

So. Anyway. The control box is open the caps are off, it looks untidy etc etc. But I am a tight arse when it comes to building a DIY CNC machine. I have used bits and pieces here and there. Out of this I have used a 230v 1P contactor and a 110v 3P contactor that needed a small transformer to pull the 230v down so I could use it.

Heres the thing, with the 3 wire 110V transformer running inside my control box, it threw the coordinates of my machine out. It was weird - the machine thought the workpiece was somewhere else. I spent a while with Fusion thinking I had done something wrong. Like, it took a while to work that out, only going to what was the last piece of maintenance I did. Clipping the input to that transformer sorted my WCS out. I am not quite sure what to do, do I go out and buy a new transformer? I have a filter on its way for my new VFD, but that wont fix this. Is it because its a 3 wire transformer that it would have an effect on my machine? The one I am talking about is at the top LH of the box.

Oh, and the box and everything else is earthed to the maximum. Thoughts?

I cant wait to run this new spindle. But without 110v the contactor is how we say - shut. ha

hello for every one hear in forum i have a on cnc rout mahine and i have a on problem can any one help mee about a on problem with nc studio

when i start the nc studio mising comunication betwen machine and pc so i will try to find the solutions now the solution is when pc is power on i will disconect the comunication card conect again after that i will go in device menager install device open nc studio and start machin .
    second problem is when i will start spindle in machine in manual mode pc is blocked for few seconds or mor the same problem is an automatik mode when i want to stop job of machine pc blocked and machine stoped after som seconds pleas any ideas who have experinece with that problem machine is chines brand dosnt have a name!

Hey so I had the strangest thing happen today. I am in the middle of upgrading my control box, and am also manufacturing a new Z axis. So my router is kind of in a bit of a shambles really - I still have my old VFD installed because I need to use it to make the Z that will take the new spindle.

So. Anyway. The control box is open the caps are off, it looks untidy etc etc. But I am a tight arse when it comes to building a DIY CNC machine. I have used bits and pieces here and there. Out of this I have used a 230v 1P contactor and a 110v 3P contactor that needed a small transformer to pull the 230v down so I could use it.

Heres the thing, with the 3 wire 110V transformer running inside my control box, it threw the coordinates of my machine out. It was weird - the machine thought the workpiece was somewhere else. I spent a while with Fusion thinking I had done something wrong. Like, it took a while to work that out, only going to what was the last piece of maintenance I did. Clipping the input to that transformer sorted my WCS out. I am not quite sure what to do, do I go out and buy a new transformer? I have a filter on its way for my new VFD, but that wont fix this. Is it because its a 3 wire transformer that it would have an effect on my machine? The one I am talking about is at the top LH of the box.

Oh, and the box and everything else is earthed to the maximum. Thoughts?

I cant wait to run this new spindle. But without 110v the contactor is how we say - shut. ha
    If you have 230v supply why in the world would you be needing to drop the voltage to 110v
    Mactec54

Sorry - I may have not explained myself. I have used a 110V 3P 32A contactor for the on/off power to the 400V 3P inverter. I didn't want to go out and buy a new contactor when I had one already, and a 110v transformer was 25 bucks and a contactor is $300. So to explain, the 110v is for the control side of my circuit.

But - it appears it is dirty and messing up my control board. I have brought the 3 phase into the box, taken one of those phases over to a breaker for the 230v stuff. I do need to draw it up but it will be a retrospective drawing.

Besinuku - you may need to start a new thread. I dont know whats going on in your case maybe its a firewall software issue or you need a good earth.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You have to use the correct Parameters to suit your spindle spec's or you will smoke your spindle, all VFD Drive will have to have the Parameters set they are not set at the factory they are by default 50Hz or 60Hz this is standard across all manufactures
    I wired up my VFD and Spindle today. Originally I set the parameters to base frequency of 300Hz which made the spindle a little bumpy. It was weird, kind of like a magnetic bumpy. I did request the settings out of the manufacturer who told me to set the parameters to 400Hz throughout but the motor says its a 300Hz motor. So I dont know what to do. If the VFD is set to 400Hz, then thats going to make it overspeed huh. They also didn't give me the correct settings to change for the size of the motor. I might leave it until I hear back from them again.

Mactec what do you reckon?

I wired up my VFD and Spindle today. Originally I set the parameters to base frequency of 300Hz which made the spindle a little bumpy. It was weird, kind of like a magnetic bumpy. I did request the settings out of the manufacturer who told me to set the parameters to 400Hz throughout but the motor says its a 300Hz motor. So I dont know what to do. If the VFD is set to 400Hz, then thats going to make it overspeed huh. They also didn't give me the correct settings to change for the size of the motor. I might leave it until I hear back from them again.

Mactec what do you reckon?
    It is bumpy because you don't have the parameters set correct or wiring is incorrect, the manufacture will not have the Parameter settings only a rough guide is all they can offer

You have to use the name plate of the spindle or you will damage the spindle, if you post those specs here I will give you the Parameters you need, you can not run a 300Hz spindle on 400Hz so need all your spec's

Contactors in general are noise producers, if you don't have any power Filters in your system
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12