585,698 active members*
3,456 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Computer Noise??

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    In has been my experience that there is far more EMI coming from the output of the VFD rather than the input, especially as in this case where the correct wiring is deficient in many areas.
    I have consistently used a 3ph inductor on the motor side with satisfactory result.
    When a standard induction motor is used, it is beneficial for the motor as well as the drive.
    Reference:
    Various VFD manufacturers.
    Al.
    The problem is he is not using a standard induction motor
    Mactec54

I don't see where the motor details are?
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

UC100. Say no more. (Junk)

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I don't see where the motor details are?
    The photos of the machine tell you he has a High speed High frequency spindle
    Mactec54

The information provided to me was more of installation documents without specifications. The pictures show the only markings on the spindle and the other picture shows the writing on the power cable. This is probably not much help to determining the power cable for the spindle.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by K_Schulz View Post
    The information provided to me was more of installation documents without specifications. The pictures show the only markings on the spindle and the other picture shows the writing on the power cable. This is probably not much help to determining the power cable for the spindle.

With this photo is is easy to see what you have, you just need to disconnect the plug on the top of the spindle and see if it has a 4 pin plug or a 3 pin plug that would be a starting point and then check is it has 4th pin with a continuity test that the Ground pin is connected inside the spindle, is with a meter check the pin to the spindle body, if not that part would have to be corrected it is common for this not to be connected, if you trace the cable back into the cabinet you will see the end and how many wires it has take a close up photo of the cable end

What is the max speed you can run this will help with a little as to spindle spec's 400Hz it will be 24,000 RPM 300Hz it will be 18,000 RPM
    Mactec54

Save your time and continued headaches by getting an UC400ETH or the UC300ETH. USB is not suitable for this type of application. Initially I was also happy with the UC300 5LPT USB driver but soon realized that it will never really be reliable enough, so I bought an UC300ETH and never looked back. The machine NEVER stopped due to any interference after that and it has been several years now. Ethernet is infinitely better than USB, get rid of that before you spend too much on cables, shielding and all sorts of "magic" which will STILL not solve your problems, just costs you more money, work and headache.

BTW, I am using mechanical limit switches but I still got errors and limit switch trippings, not because the switches actually tripped, but because the UC300USB falsely sensed tripping due to interference when for example a vacuum cleaner, or something similar with inductive load was started in my home. So the solution is NOT the disconnection of limit switches but the replacement of the UC100 to ETH version.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Save your time and continued headaches by getting an UC400ETH or the UC300ETH. USB is not suitable for this type of application. Initially I was also happy with the UC300 5LPT USB driver but soon realized that it will never really be reliable enough, so I bought an UC300ETH and never looked back. The machine NEVER stopped due to any interference after that and it has been several years now. Ethernet is infinitely better than USB, get rid of that before you spend too much on cables, shielding and all sorts of "magic" which will STILL not solve your problems, just costs you more money, work and headache.

BTW, I am using mechanical limit switches but I still got errors and limit switch trippings, not because the switches actually tripped, but because the UC300USB falsely sensed tripping due to interference when for example a vacuum cleaner, or something similar with inductive load was started in my home. So the solution is NOT the disconnection of limit switches but the replacement of the UC100 to ETH version.
    Wiring is almost always why people have problems with noise, you can't solve a problem by just changing from a USB to a Ethernet connection you have to fix the wiring and the noise problem will go away no magic involved

You don't need shielded cables to make this happen as most people that use shielded cables install them incorrectly and wonder why they still have problems the main source of noise is from a VFD Drive and power supplies correctly install these items, in most cases will not cause any problems

I have mechanical limit switches and Proximity switches without shielded cables and have no problems at all if I use a UC100 or any other type of connection
    Mactec54

I don't have a 3-ph inductor on my VFD, never used one, nor shielded motor cables inside the cabinet. I use screened cables for the IO to the controller (encoders, limit switches etc) and a Schaffner RFI filter on the VFD input. Admittedly I have a fairly good idea what I'm doing but this shows what can be done without going over the top. Mostly it's about routing the noisy cables tidily, away from the quiet ones and using good grounding practice. Those ferrite clamps can be quite effective on signals cables and don't require any messing with existing connections.

I am using a laptop without an Ethernet connection. I purchased the uc100 device from the seller's recommendation. The seller is now telling me about a smooth stepper device. Again, I am using a Dell laptop with 12 Gb ram and Intel gen 7 processor and NVIDIA graphics card. The VFD is set at 4000 by the display and I do not change the setting.
    A bit of history, I am new to the CNC field but I have been interested in CNC for sometime integrating this into woodworking. I received an opportunity to purchase a demo model from Industrial CNC so I thought that, at least, any major bugs would have been worked out. The first issue was when the vfd quit responding from the Mach3 control software and I needed to start and stop from the cabinet display, not ideal but OK. Then I had issue with changing bits. I was thinking that if I entered all of the information into the CAD/CAM software it would transfer through the controller to the machine, my mistake. Then the machine would trip error messages due to limit switches or not having enough info. I would back up a line or two and rerun and most times it would work through. Then the machine would give a error message and when I would reset the machine would go in a direction not intended. Also the machine would be a bit off in x, y, and z directions randomly and not all at the same time. Since I have installed the EMI filter and ferrite chokes, disconnected the limit switches from the cabinet, the system has improved but I still am not getting consistent results. This has caused considerable frustration. I was expecting to be able to do higher quality work faster and have repeatability but I am far from meeting any of these expectations. O was also planning to do 4-axis work but I need to get this 3-axis working first.
    So, i appreciate any and all help to resolve whatever issue(s) I have. I will check the spindle ground. I would like to know what the differences are to alternate devices from the uc100. Thanks again for all your help and I look forward to resolving whatever issues I have.

Kevin Schulz

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Wiring is almost always why people have problems with noise, you can't solve a problem by just changing from a USB to a Ethernet connection you have to fix the wiring and the noise problem will go away no magic involved

You don't need shielded cables to make this happen as most people that use shielded cables install them incorrectly and wonder why they still have problems the main source of noise is from a VFD Drive and power supplies correctly install these items, in most cases will not cause any problems

I have mechanical limit switches and Proximity switches without shielded cables and have no problems at all if I use a UC100 or any other type of connection
    My 3 axis mill has no wire shielding either. All electronics (supplies/drivers/relays/board) are in a 600x400 metal box. I too have 3 wire proximity switches.
    I use mach3 with a £6 pport board.
    Looking at updating the spindle to a servo & drive. Maybe then things may change.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Schulz View Post
    I am using a laptop without an Ethernet connection. I purchased the uc100 device from the seller's recommendation. The seller is now telling me about a smooth stepper device. Again, I am using a Dell laptop with 12 Gb ram and Intel gen 7 processor and NVIDIA graphics card. The VFD is set at 4000 by the display and I do not change the setting.
    A bit of history, I am new to the CNC field but I have been interested in CNC for sometime integrating this into woodworking. I received an opportunity to purchase a demo model from Industrial CNC so I thought that, at least, any major bugs would have been worked out. The first issue was when the vfd quit responding from the Mach3 control software and I needed to start and stop from the cabinet display, not ideal but OK. Then I had issue with changing bits. I was thinking that if I entered all of the information into the CAD/CAM software it would transfer through the controller to the machine, my mistake. Then the machine would trip error messages due to limit switches or not having enough info. I would back up a line or two and rerun and most times it would work through. Then the machine would give a error message and when I would reset the machine would go in a direction not intended. Also the machine would be a bit off in x, y, and z directions randomly and not all at the same time. Since I have installed the EMI filter and ferrite chokes, disconnected the limit switches from the cabinet, the system has improved but I still am not getting consistent results. This has caused considerable frustration. I was expecting to be able to do higher quality work faster and have repeatability but I am far from meeting any of these expectations. O was also planning to do 4-axis work but I need to get this 3-axis working first.
    So, i appreciate any and all help to resolve whatever issue(s) I have. I will check the spindle ground. I would like to know what the differences are to alternate devices from the uc100. Thanks again for all your help and I look forward to resolving whatever issues I have.

Kevin Schulz

It does not matter what your computer is, but sometimes if you have the internet connected this will cause problems, with what I saw in your photos the wiring is not good at all

A Smooth stepper is not going to change anything you need to read my posts

Cad / Cam or the output program, has also nothing to do with machine setting which you need to do for each job, X Y and Z axis need to be set for each job

If the VFD Drive is showing 4000 in the display then you have a problem as your spindle has a minimum speed of 6,000 RPM and should not be run below that number, if you mean 400 than that would be 400Hz and that would be your max speed it is running at which is ok

The install of the Power Filter you did is in the wrong place it needs to be right at the VFD Drives input Power so where that Gray trunking is in front of the VFD this needs to be removed and the filter put in it's pace the Filter needs a Ground wire attached also You then need a new cable from the VFD Drive to the Spindle this has to be a 4 wire shielded Cable we I need to know the spindle size to give you the correct cable spec's

You can not put those ferrites on the VFD Drive output wires this will do nothing at all
    Mactec54

I apologise for not responding recently. I have had a graduation and I am remodeling a shower. I should be able to get back to this in the near future. Don't give up on me yet.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Kevin Schulz

Page 2 of 2 12