584,812 active members*
5,349 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > DIY Mogul CNC x y z motors issues TB6560 controller/driver
Page 1 of 2 12

DIY Mogul CNC x y z motors issues TB6560 controller/driver

hi i have a home brew CNC mogul cnc..version 1 that i bought used recently so i do not know if this ever worked ok or not..

i know it uses a pretty crappy chinese knockoff TB6560 controller/driver and im leaning towards its just bad

issue is all 3 axis motors sound like crap and are herky jerky movement...i use mach 3 as communication between machine and pc via parallel cable...using a very very old laptop Dell C610 with parallel port built in and with windows 7 on it

no steps lost though

just very sporatic movement and lots of stuttering and inconsistent movement speed and smoothness during toolpath..causes lots of vibration..

i tried swapping with new stepper motor..no change
    i tried removing stepper motors from railing to rule out v wheels bearings ...no change
    i tried swithcing to diff micro step settings no change
    i tried increasing voltage on drivers..already was max..no change
    tested voltage coming from power supply ok 24V
    reseated all stepper motor connections no change

and ideas?

Re: DIY Mogul CNC x y z motors issues TB6560 controller/driver

could see if you are able to tune the drive's? they usually have some kind of trim pot for adjustment. if the motor's sound bad then this might smooth things out. just google it and you get all kinds of hits on the topic.

thanks the only adjusting on the TB6560 drrivers are DIP switches which i have changed to all diff settings and no change..they have diff currents..diff micro and diff decay settings...none made the motors run properly

i'm pretty sure the current of the drive need to match the motor's. gecko's use dip switches but also have the adjustment pot. you might need to pull the cover off the drive to find it if it has one? i think i seen that being required on some drives?

yes you may be right however this machine i assume is stock...and i assume noone messeed with it so the settings should be ok..like i said i tried all settings and none worked..i changed the current to each setting and none corrected issue..i beleive the issue is its just a failed driver board but thats just a guess..if its a setting then that would be easy to cahnge but ive done a lot already and nothing seems to work it is a TB6560 early version board from 2013/14..and i did have the cover off to do this and there are no pots that i noticed

24 V for power is garbage too the better stepper motors can run on 80V and usually run on a 70 V supply. how many power supplies are on the controller?

my board is similar to this but mine is 4 axis...no pots

thanks but 24V was stock for this machine thats not the issue..maCHINE came with small hobby size nema 23 269oz steppers ..garbage or not 24V is what this cnc mogul was designed for..and the TB6560 driver board can only handle up to 30V per schematics .just trying to find out root cause of why motors are running like garabge and herky jerky but not losing steps

here is the hobby machine im referring to https://milwaukeemakerspace.org/2014...-introduction/

since the design is so bad on the mechanical side i would not be surprised if the electrical side of this is not just as bad. if you have a undersized power supply running all the motor's it will never run right. you need to see what the combined load is with all the motors and see if the power supply is up to the task. i have seen these cheap machines with cheap power supplies on each drive. seems like this machine was done cheap and quality got tossed out the window.

i agree the machine is a pos however im just trying to find out the issue why its not running properly now...it was designed this way and ran perfectly fine when sold..so either the driver is bad or setting is bad..i beleive i ruled out settings just looking for help is all..the TB6560 driver board can only handle up to 30V so the 24V power supply is not the issue.

if its a failed driver board and i need to replace the driver board i will ..once i find out thats the issue..the ps is not the issue..

maybe try disconnecting all but one motor and drive on the worst axis and test just one hooked up to see if it makes things any better. if it does then this could be the problem. simple test and it would not cost anything.

i tried that..no change

all 3 axis are equally rough bad herky jerky and sound like crap..

if you have only ran 24 V systems you would be surprised at how much better steppers do the more you up the voltage. i realize you have limits with this set up and your hands are tied it's just worth saying how it can make a system in general preform a lot better.

could there be a remote possibility that this is a mach3 / pc ./ parallel cable/ communication / speed/ issue or has nothing to do with it?

yes i know but thats not the issue here since machine was designed with 24V and it worked fine when new

then if i was to replace the drives i would find something that would be the max. of what the motors can handle. i would think they could do a 48 V supply but that needs to be confirmed in the documentation for the motors. that way if you have to spend money at least your making things better.

mach 3 has it's limits based on the PC it's hooked up too as well. could run the the driver test at some different pulse rates to check your system on that end.

Im still thinking its controller driver issue...if i run a continupus jog mode .....once in a while the motor will go from slower feed rate grinding rough movement to smooth movement faster feed rate but only for less than 1 second...

Odd that all 3 sxis do the same thing though...usually mot all axis go bad at same time..however this is a low end junk all in one board so its possible...

OTE=machinedude;2383904]mach 3 has it's limits based on the PC it's hooked up too as well. could run the the driver test at some different pulse rates to check your system on that end.[/QUOTE]

would be odd if they were separate drives but since it's all in one i would say it's a good possibility so you can't rule it out. i've seen them act weird just from getting to warm so having them mounted on a heat sink and a fan moving air over them is a good idea too.

Page 1 of 2 12