585,743 active members*
4,858 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Comparison of two drives and advice?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Comparison of two drives and advice?

Nic77,

I started a corexy build a couple years ago using extrusion and THK, NSK 20mm rails. The Z is a THK KR series linear stage.
    400x450 travel. Using nice Parker stepper drivers to test but noisy.

I ended up buying a maker select printer in the mean time. This build has stalled since I really don’t even use the maker select all that much. Needs to be finished since all the parts are here to do it too.

https://youtu.be/O3NwQxUiyS4

Jim,

Very nice!

My first design iteration was pretty similar. Not Core XY, but a dual shaft Nema 23 driving the gantry similar to the Buildlog Laser 2.X design, and a linear stage for the Z. And an IDEX system for dual extruders.

You can see in the video below the concept of driving the "gantry" with one dual shaft motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56w0Zr-U-kg

But mine would have had a print area of around 400mm x 300mm in X any Y. The reason I didn't consider a Core XY is because of the IDEX system I really wanted to do. But I never ended up pursuing this design concept.

I have had a look at some large 3d printer designs with huge X and Y sizes of 1500mm x 1500mm or 1200mm x 1200mm or 1000mm x 1000mm, and they are just too big. When I look at how they are used, they never print the full bed size and the larger prints they do would usually fit on a rectangular surface, so making a square print bed of that size seems wasteful.

So a print area of 800 x 500 x 600 seems to me like a good size for an industrial quality build for what I want to do. Plus it's easier to enclose. It might be too big, I don't know yet.

I just need to make some decisions! Should I try to make these servos work? What's your opinion?

Comparison of two drives and advice?

Nic77,

My brother needs the larger 3D printer to print out mold forms. They are rectangular so it would of been better to make the printer that way. I was limited by the linear rail length I had in my junk pile.

I tried buying some Adept linear stages on eBay but keep getting outbidded. I just won’t pay that much for used industrial parts. I would probably use the original servo motors since they are matched well with the stage. I’m assuming these motors are with hall/encoders and not resolvers.

Try finding some drivers on eBay that work.

Jim

Jim,

I will be updating my thread here:

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/servo...-software.html

as I continue to weigh my options on this. Your continued participation in the conversation would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by jfong View Post

Try finding some drivers on eBay that work.
    You're right.

My big problem is that I don't have a clue what in the heck I'm doing when it comes to servos. I can scour EBay for hours then look for manuals for things I find there, not find the manuals, look for something else, etc. The big thing about EBay is there's lots of surplus stuff that you can find good deals on (lots of way way overpriced deals too), but you need to know what you're looking for, and I don't.

I'm like a child, or a neanderthal banging away at a rock with another rock. I need someone to hold me by the hand and say....hey, look to see if you can find a deal on any of the following drivers on EBay....which might work for you.

Ideally, a surplus 4 axis servo driver accepting step/dir inputs with a 120VAC single phase power input is what I would like to find.

One big thing I need to consider is that I still need one more axis (I have collected three so far). All 3 have the Tamagawa Seiki's. I have a line on a 4th that has the same motor...but it's a bit on the pricey side. So deciding on what I'm going to do here will affect the purchase of my last stage.

Please, let's continue on my thread, I feel bad about hijacking this one too much....

Page 2 of 2 12