584,837 active members*
5,384 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > Can’t get 2 flute upcut bits working with aluminium

Can’t get 2 flute upcut bits working with aluminium

I have had a lot of success with O Flute bits on aluminium, however there seems to be a lot of information about getting a better finish with 2 flute bits.

I have tried a few different brands, all designed for aluminium but I just keep getting my bits gummed up or rubbing.

Using feed and speed calculators, the values seem really high. I have tried pretty much from 10k rpm to 18k rpm with 100-800mm/min speeds - just about every possible combo in between up and down on not rpm and feed speeds.

I know the obvious solution is “if o flute upcut is working fine then just keep doing that” but I have some mental health issues and not being able to figure this out is causing a lot of stress. Only asking for help so I can try and return to a regular sleeping pattern.

I really need to get a grip and be ok with not knowing the reason for everything, and I promise I will get help on that.. but for now can anyone offer any insight into what I can try next to get 2 flute cuts working?

Really appreciate any help.

Re: Can’t get 2 flute upcut bits working with aluminium

What type of machine is this?
    I'd say that your RPM is way too high for those feedrates, and you probably need to be using coolant, or at least WD40.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Can’t get 2 flute upcut bits working with aluminium

It's an old CNC unbranded machine, chain driven on a massive steel table frame. I have upgraded it with an OpenBuilds Blackbox controller. I have a pretty good misting system with kero mainly. Have a VFD controller and 2.2k spindle I have tried going as low as 10k RPM and even as low as 50mm/min. On a single flute (o flute) I can run pretty much any speeds I want with success. I usually go about 16k RPM and anywhere from 200 to 800mm/min with no issues. Sometimes even faster on both. I have a custom vacuum system I 3d printed mounted around the spindle that takes a lot of the chips away. My chips on single flute are consistent, light and get pulled away with the vacuum. On 2 flutes (any of the 10 different brands I have tried) the results are essentially either the bit getting gummed up almost instantly or the aluminium curling out around the cut then the bit getting gummed up. I have tried WD40 just spraying it while it's trying to cut without success.

The reason I think I am missing something is that I can't find anyone else complaining too much about how difficult this has been. I am sure I am doing something wrong here. Have tried different types of aluminium, different thicknesses, have also tried different sized bits - as in 2mm,3.175mm,4mm, 5mm, 6mm. All with the same result.

I know some of this information might not help but I really appreciate your reply anyway. If it does ring any bells I am all ears and happy to try anything you think might help.