584,837 active members*
5,328 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > I have no clue what I'm doing

I have no clue what I'm doing

Hello everyone I have a part I want to make out of carbon fiber it's just a fault sheet and I want to use a desktop CNC router to cut the exact shape out. So I think that means it's a 2.5D part. My uncle said that I could use his desktop CNC router since this is really the only part I need to make. He said he uses a software called GRBL controller candle for gcode. I understand Autodesk inventor and 3d printing but I normally use an sla printer and it doesn't deal with g code. What type of file would I need to make in inventor in order to make that program work so that I can make my part. Thank you all.

Re: I have no clue what I'm doing

In Inventor, you'd make a 2D drawing and save it as a DXF file. But it won't run the CNC router by itself; for that you'd need to process it through a CAM program to generate G-code that the router's control software could understand. Probably your uncle has some software like that, otherwise you'd need to find some. Be careful about cutting carbon fiber composites (I'm assuming that's what you've got, not the loose mat which won't cut at all). The dust that's generated from doing that is very irritating.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Download the free Fusion 360, do a sketch of your part, create toolpaths using the sketch, and output the g-code.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ywah I think I know what software it was that he used to convert the DXF files. But thanks for the help.

Hello.

There is a free program by the name of DXF2GCODE that works rather fine.

I use AUTOCAD to generate my DXFs and then DXF2GCODE to convert them to G code. I must say at this point that the generated G code is very generic. That is, while it is mostly accepted by a number of machines you may still need to do some editing on the generated listing to accomodate for your particular machine.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMNet View Post
    Hello.

There is a free program by the name of DXF2GCODE that works rather fine.

I use AUTOCAD to generate my DXFs and then DXF2GCODE to convert them to G code. I must say at this point that the generated G code is very generic. That is, while it is mostly accepted by a number of machines you may still need to do some editing on the generated listing to accomodate for your particular machine.

I hope this helps.

Regards.
    Thanks that does help a lot I have been trying to convert a dfx to a NC file since I woke up like 7 hours ago and I have made less than 0 progress all I've done is filled up all my drives with stuff I don't need but I'll try this next I hope it works.

Okay yeah definitely didn't work it made some sort of weird grin of lines crossing all over top of my part and then when I put it into cancel it took every layer and moved each layer over a couple mm how am I supposed to do things like tell it I want the tool path to cut to the edge of the line or the inside of a whole cuz I don't I want it to cut the lines out I want it to cut to the lines

Quote Originally Posted by Jehseh-onfroy View Post
    Hello everyone I have a part I want to make out of carbon fiber it's just a fault sheet and I want to use a desktop CNC router to cut the exact shape out. So I think that means it's a 2.5D part. My uncle said that I could use his desktop CNC router since this is really the only part I need to make. He said he uses a software called GRBL controller candle for gcode. I understand Autodesk inventor and 3d printing but I normally use an sla printer and it doesn't deal with g code. What type of file would I need to make in inventor in order to make that program work so that I can make my part. Thank you all.
    I see you mention inventor.
    Does that mean you have access to it?
    HSM version has intergrated cam.
    Or get Fusion 360.
    Make life easier for yourself.