584,808 active members*
5,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Brother HS-100, Connection with Computer over RS 232

Brother HS-100, Connection with Computer over RS 232

Hello, fellow CNC Addicts..

It has been quite a while since i last logged in here, been busy with all kinds of things..

The Milling machine on the right, may look familiar?.. indeed.. it is my trusty "Beagle VMC 2814 Described here: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/verti...-forum-20.html

But.. my question is about the machine on the left.. the Brother HS-100 i recently bought.
    After some "teething problems" and replacing some parts, it is now functioning like it should.

And i've already made some nice parts..

Such a part is programmable in 5 minutes, this is still a simple part.. but.. in the future, i will also have to make more intricate parts, and these will be programmed with CamBam, or maybe another program.

I will need a way of getting these programs from my Computer to the machine.
    In the past, i have operated an HS-100 in the Toolroom where i used to work, we had a computer connected to the machine with an RS 232 Cable, and we could send the programs to the machine..
    That worked flawlessly, so i want to get that to work in my workshop as well.

I do have a computer, with Windows XP, which is sufficient for Running 2D Cad and CAM sottware.. it has a 9 pin RS232 Connector, and the machine has a 25 Pins Connetor..

In the Past i had a similar connection between my Emco Compact 5 CNC Lathe and the Computer, when i was still running it with the EMCO Control.

My Question is:: "Does anyone have a wire diagram for the Cable? ", and.. what kind of software are you running on the Computer to transfer these programs?

Thanks in Advance!

Re: Brother HS-100, Connection with Computer over RS 232

Hi Arie,
    For the first part of your question what you need is commonly known as "null modem cable", plenty of examples found on Google. But you should first know if your machine (HB100) needs acknowledge signals, that needs a little bit more complicated cable but also easily found on Google.
    Simplest null modem cable would need just 3 wires for TX/RX plus GND but adding a shield is desirable. If acknowledge signals are needed then two more wires will be necessary.

Regards,
    Fernando

Enviado desde mi SM-G900T3 mediante Tapatalk

I got everything sorted.. made a 9-pin to 25-pin cable, according to the pinsetting in the manual for the Machineside, and the "standard" pinsetting for a 9-pin Computerside..

Hi Arie,
    Since you plan to use cambam you may try out the grbl-machine plugin which integrates into cambam. I'm not sure it will work with your machine though.
    Otherwise what you need is a "serial gcode sender" software, there is one such named "universal gcode sender" that may support a generic machine besides grbl-based machines.

But you also may start more basic with just a serial console like "putty" and send gcode by typing from your pc, this may help to better understand what your machine needs to load and execute programs via serial.

Just in case: I don't know your machine but it's good to know that many machines need a cable with interchanged TX and RX lines (hence null modem cable), this means TX pin on one end matches to RX pin on opposite end.

Regards,
    Fernando

Enviado desde mi SM-T561 mediante Tapatalk

Rx and TX are indeed Crossed for my machine,

But, this is for a 25-25 Cable, and my PC has of course a 9 pin connector.. so i had to make a 9-25 Cable

like so.. and.. whaddayaknow...from a 9 pin to a 25 pin.. Rx and Tx are "Crossed" at the pins.. no crossing wires.. Pin 2 and 3 go straight across..

Nice...

For Communication, someone on the Dutch CNC Forum recommended NCnet Lite, It's only for one machine.. but ah.. well..all my other machines have USB receptacle, for insertion of USB Pokeybits.

I took a 9-9 RS232 cable, Cutt off the pokey bit on one end, and soldered a 25 pins pokey bit to it.. Installed NCnet Lite on my Computer
    Put everyting in my car.. drove to the workshop (yes.. i know.. it is only 450 meters.. but Transporting a Computer, a screen and a keyboard on a bike.. hey.. i'm dutch.. but we do have our limits :wave

I Set up the Computer near the Wire EDM, Hooked the RS232 Cable up, and... it all worked from the Get-Go..