585,967 active members*
4,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: 660 u shars vise on my 1100 s3

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    My Tormach machinist vise requires regular cleaning to work correctly. Also careful adjustment after cleaning or I get some Jaw lift. I have read about people locking their vise or vises down in same location for months. My vise would get rough or unusable if I did that.
    Mine is always mounted to the table, I use an oil mix for coolant so no rust under it etc. To clean it I just use the coolant line and a brush to wash out the chips that collect in it.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    This is the first vise I have had trouble with, I thought about the valve grinding compound but a bit apprehensive as to how to get rid of the grit once the job is done??
    I think you would have to do a complete tear down and thorough cleaning, but it would fix the issue if done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    It is a possibility Terry but when its cleaned out with the wire brush it works fine, no dings in the shaft that I can tell, I wont be spending 167 dollars for a tap either! The thread milling has piqued my interest as I have never tried it, I was thinking to make something on the lathe, the last time I made a left hand thread was 45 years ago, I may be a bit rusty ha!!
    I managed to cut a 1.0625 (I think) x 7 thread split adjustable homemade L.H. tap of sorts, gave it a quick case harden in some kase-nit. It did the job after about 50 passes thru the vise nut with my trusty Milwaukee drill motor. I dont think it cut much of anything but I adjusted the screw to tighten the tap until I had an even resistance thru the whole length of the nut. I dont think it cut much of anything but rather lapped it in, result is it worked.<br>
    Hopefully this will work long term.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3849.jpg  
    mike sr

Great to hear you got it whipped! Nice looking tap too.
    Terry

Thanks Terry!
    I think it acted more as a burnisher than a tap ha! Regardless it got the job done.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Great to hear you got it whipped! Nice looking tap too.
    Terry
    I have solved my vise problems. I found 2 6 inch QUAD 1 vises and grabbed them.

These vises are great because the fixed jaw is in the front of the vise and the back jaw moves which allows me to work in X plus Y plus coordinates instead of X plus Y minus.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Page 2 of 2 12