584,829 active members*
4,890 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Help with Haimer 3d taster

I got a Haimer 3d taster recently. Its the metric version, with 20mm shank, not the one that tormach sells. So far the best option i have found for using it in the TTS system is a TTS ER 32 holder w a 20mm collet. Anyone have any other thoughts? Will this be accurate enough? thanks for the help

Re: Help with Haimer 3d taster

Yes....
    .... you can also put it into a sidelock holder

... the shank does not need to run true.
    BUT,
    You do need to have the ruby clocked up to run true, using the 4 grub screws that are above the dial.

What he said. Every time you replace the tip (and unfortunately, you will). You will have to readjust those screws to get the new tip running concentric anyway so it makes no difference if the collet is running out a bit.

I made a 3/4-to-20mm holder for a Haimer to reduce the stickout from a collet setup, but works the same. As everyone says, you have to true it anyway.

well, that settles it. thanks very much everyone

hy i can help you use 3d tasters and reniswhas, even if the probe is not "true"

if you know what you do, there is no need to true it

also, if you break palpators, is possible to craft your own spare ones / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hy i can help you use 3d tasters and reniswhas, even if the probe is not "true"

if you know what you do, there is no need to true it

also, if you break palpators, is possible to craft your own spare ones / kindly
    What is a "palpator" ?

How the hell can you get an accurate edge reading if the probe is not true ?
    This is a device for manual operation, using it in Auto on a CNC machine is asking for it (the whole lot) to be turned into a paperweight.

What is a "palpator" ?
    sorry superman, by palpator i reffer to probe tip ... my english

accurate edge reading if the probe is not true ?
    i used to align the probe from those 4 screws, but each time i did it, my back hurt, because the spindle is a bit far from front doors, and is time consuming to set those 4

so i switched to 3d tasters that allow to true the probe tip way faster, by using only 2 screws just above the tip

in time, i noticed that alignment gets screwed by atc arm swing, being to agressive, and some people use to never keep such equipment inside tool magazine, but outside the machine, so to prevent shocks associated with tool change; i realized that is pointless to true it as best as i can ( was using a um test indicator, going for <0.005 ), since that value won't be there for long; a bt50 tool change is not smooth, even with heavy tool option

meanwhile, i started creating custom macros for the renishaw, using okuma's wk setup interfaces, a bit of excel, etc .... and one day, i saw a video with a guy using his smarphone to record machine coordinates and compute his own wcs for a normal machine; and after that, a few months later i think, it kicked me : i could use system variable as input for those macros, like actual machine position; it was that video, that made me think i can build a macro to handle 3d taster accuracy lost because of tir lost : you simply put the 3d taster in the spindle, rotate it, and at each 90 degress you write down the tir value, and use it as input for your macro; for example, let's take a groove : you touch left and pust cycle start, then you touch right and pust cycle start again, and a macro beyond will give you the center, taking in consideration phase deviations for each 90 degrees; at this moment, it was way faster to customize that macro to suit actual tir values, rather than trueing the 3d taster tip

and after some time, i stare thinking if i could make it work regardless of tir value, thus to skip the macro initializations; try this : missaling your probe on purpose, don't measure the missalignment, and try to find the center of a grove : do it normally, then flip the spindle 180degrees, do it again, then mediate the values ... voila; this can not work always with a 3d taster ( because the dial will flip away from you, you won't be able to see it, at least inside a cnc ), but it works with a renishaw : thus double measure at opposite spindle phases, then mediate the values; also, on okuma, is needed to take into consideration the vstod variables, that are x+x-y+y- touch probe radius compensations

and, by mistake, random conversation, i discovered at least 2 other persons that double measure at opposite spindle phases, in order to wipeout any inacuracy caused by tip tir

i discovered all those progresivly, from 2015 to previous year arround september ( so is still hot for me ), and, in the end, is nothing new, only that is not common

as for broken 3d taster probe tips, what breaks is that piece of plastic; lolipop sticks have a hole in them, you can craft a nut to suit them, and at the other end, is not necesarly to use a sphere; a cilinder is more than enough for normal x+-y+- touchoffs, thus a sphere on a 3d taster makes sense only for curved surfaces, where the touch point vector is no longer paralel to machine axis

hope you find this usefull / kindly

A 3D taster is a manual tool, storing it in a magazine/carousel is asking for the mechanism to be either contaminated by coolant, swarf etc OR (as you know) shocked out of accuracy.

The probe item with the ceramic stem is designed to be sacrificial. I'd rather break that stem than break the whole mechanism.

If you make your probe using "nuts", how can it then measure a bore, or use it for what it is designed to do. The zero/zero feature puts the contact point on the spindle centreline.

i was refering to the nut that conects the stem to the taster body; pls check attached

as for the zero/zero, is possible to do the math and craft a proper replaceable probe ... i had done such calculations ( or however you wanna name them ) for palpators for both tasters and centro/coax, thus i replaced palpators for both ( and new nut, to fit it )

but i stoped using the zero/zero from a long time ... i don't have patience to use the pulse handle to dial towards zero, thus i stoped using the taster in absolute mode, but only in relative : for example, after a touch off, the dial moves for only a few 0.1s of a mm, like 0.2-0.3, thus the needle, on the dial, does travel less than 20 degrees

instead of going towards zero, touch just a bit, a fraction, to trigger the mechanism

Haimer tips (knockoff or real, your choice) aren't that expensive off Amazon or wherever if you don't crunch them too often.

sometimes default tips aren't long enough, or don't fit : this is why i made custom ones

pls find attached image, with general guidance / kindly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 03.png  

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    sometimes default tips aren't long enough, or don't fit : this is why i made custom ones

pls find attached image, with general guidance / kindly
    Kitty.... info overload....
    This is not relevant to the OPs query

Why not just remove the shank and either replace it with a 3/4 shank or have your metric shank ground down to .750? It’s .787 now.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Why not just remove the shank and either replace it with a 3/4 shank or have your metric shank ground down to .750? It’s .787 now.
    On mine there was no obvious way to remove the shank, which made replacement and/or regrinding a bit tricky.