584,829 active members*
4,957 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

660 u shars vise on my 1100 s3

I have a 660 u shars vise, (Kurt knockoff) I believe, the screw is tight at spots in the vise nut, does anyone know if a tap is available to clean the threads in the vise nut? I called shars and they dont have or sell a tap for this purpose (1.0625 x 7 tpi), I think this may be an OEM tap.

I can clean it up with a rotary wire brush, this will work for a period of time, then it will start to get tight spots in it again over a few months time.

I would like any advise on any method that would fix this problem .

thanks in advance!
    mike sr

Re: 660 u shars vise on my 1100 s3

Sounds like you're getting chips or fines built up in the nut. The wire brush is probably cleaning it out and/or smoothing any burrs caused by those chips getting jammed into the nut when you work the vise open and closed. Running a tap through it may open the threads up more and give you some additional clearance but wouldn't really solve the problem.

Mike, assuming the problem doesn't always occur at the same spot on the threaded shaft, it sounds like your best option might be to buy a new nut if they sell them.

There is a universal internal thread repair tool out there, but I have not used it and so have no idea if it works worth a hoot. It's also pretty pricey, $118 in the size you would need.

Here's as link to it on amazon if you're curious.

Terry

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Int...00D8WJ5S0?th=1

Thanks guys, I just had everything disassembled on it, there were a few fines in the nut, everything else looked perfect, I reinstalled one of the wipers as it had came apart, I have this problem about once a year, this is the third time I have had it apart for the same thing, binding around 3 to 4 inches open, I can still turn the handle but it takes some of effort. It looks to be 1.0625 x 7 tpi left hand thread, those taps appear to be scarce, I havent found one yet. I called shars and asked about the 10 year warranty, needless to say it doent cover the problem I am having. I will look up the thread repair gismo Terry, thanks for the info. I have an old Bridgeport vise, machine dates to 1952 and it hasnt had problem one.

A new nut is 40 dollars on the website plus shipping.

Kurt has a tap rental for such problems, Shars doesnt..........

I am so busy in retirement I dont know how I had time to work a few years ago ha!!

Thanks for the replies.........
    mike sr

Have you considered that perhaps it is a standard metric screw? 1.0625" is rather close to 27mm (actually 1.06299"). The standard pitch for 27mm is 3mm or 8.47 tpi. For Acme form threads the standard is M28x3 rather than M27x3. Just a possibility...

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Have you considered that perhaps it is a standard metric screw? 1.0625" is rather close to 27mm (actually 1.06299"). The standard pitch for 27mm is 3mm or 8.47 tpi. For Acme form threads the standard is M28x3 rather than M27x3. Just a possibility...
    I checked it just now with a thread pitch gage and it is 7 tpi.

It works well now, I drilled and tapped the nut 1/4-28 for a grease zerk, it will work fine for awhile, just kind of irritating, it never locks up to where I cant turni it.
    mike sr

Mike, I laughed when I read your comment about being busy in retirement. I've said many times to my friends who are still working that I'm busier now then before retirement, but they all look at me like I have a screw loose! LoL

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Mike, I laughed when I read your comment about being busy in retirement. I've said many times to my friends who are still working that I'm busier now then before retirement, but they all look at me like I have a screw loose! LoL
    An old friend told me that years ago and I thought what is he talking about?? I now understand..........

Sure wish I had a tap for that vise, I am thinking maybe make one out of drill rod or something, to just chase the threads?
    I sometimes wonder if I have too much time to think??
    mike sr

When I looked at your vise on shar's website, I saw that they provided an STP file so I downloaded it to see if I could pick out any info about the thread.
    But, they conveniently left out the screw and the nut from the file. Almost as if they don't want anyone to know the details about it.

Terry

It could be metric size shaft with inch pitch thread. We have a couple DoAll lathes at work (actually Harrisons).
    When fixing the cross slide and compounds, I needed to replace the screws due to wear. Metric shaft with inch pitch. I ended up ordering precision acme threaded shafts and making new nuts to fit.

Dave

since the wire brushing its working fine, still a bit snug in the area in question, it acts like it was tapped a bit undersize or the screw is a bit oversize, or maybe a green casting, who knows..... a new nut is 40 dollars plus freight, I may do that if the problem persists.
    mike sr

1.125 x 7tpi LH, just got a reply to my query from Shars.
    mike sr

I didn't do any searching for best price, but the first place I googled for that sized tap was $167. Yikes!

Seriously though, Are you positive the trouble is in the nut and not the shaft? If it gets sticky at about the same distance each time, it makes me think the shaft may have a small ding, or be slightly bent at that spot.

Terry

the first place I googled for that sized tap was $167. Yikes!
    Thread milling is a fantastic invention for those "once in a blue moon" thread forms!

I agree, just did that a couple of weeks ago making a new part for a pressure washer pump manifold. The thread was 3/8-18 npt but the stock could only be .65" instead of .675". Thread milled fine.

But Mike's situation is a bit tougher, picking up an internal thread in the nut would be hard, and making a new vise nut evener harder, at least for me.

Terry

Another thought, should be possible to thread mill a tap to use on the nut.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    I didn't do any searching for best price, but the first place I googled for that sized tap was $167. Yikes!

Seriously though, Are you positive the trouble is in the nut and not the shaft? If it gets sticky at about the same distance each time, it makes me think the shaft may have a small ding, or be slightly bent at that spot.

Terry
    It is a possibility Terry but when its cleaned out with the wire brush it works fine, no dings in the shaft that I can tell, I wont be spending 167 dollars for a tap either! The thread milling has piqued my interest as I have never tried it, I was thinking to make something on the lathe, the last time I made a left hand thread was 45 years ago, I may be a bit rusty ha!!
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    It is a possibility Terry but when its cleaned out with the wire brush it works fine, no dings in the shaft that I can tell, I wont be spending 167 dollars for a tap either! The thread milling has piqued my interest as I have never tried it, I was thinking to make something on the lathe, the last time I made a left hand thread was 45 years ago, I may be a bit rusty ha!!
    My Tormach machinist vise requires regular cleaning to work correctly. Also careful adjustment after cleaning or I get some Jaw lift. I have read about people locking their vise or vises down in same location for months. My vise would get rough or unusable if I did that.

Lap the nut in with some valve grinding paste or diamond paste. Run the screw with a small impact gun in and out a couple of hundred times and that tight spot should be gone forever. I have three Shars vises and all three work very well. The only issue I’ve had is the set screw collar/nut (no idea the proper term) coming loose. Asides from washing down with the wash down hose I’ve never cleaned any of my vises.

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    Lap the nut in with some valve grinding paste or diamond paste. Run the screw with a small impact gun in and out a couple of hundred times and that tight spot should be gone forever. I have three Shars vises and all three work very well. The only issue I’ve had is the set screw collar/nut (no idea the proper term) coming loose. Asides from washing down with the wash down hose I’ve never cleaned any of my vises.
    This is the first vise I have had trouble with, I thought about the valve grinding compound but a bit apprehensive as to how to get rid of the grit once the job is done??
    mike sr

Page 1 of 2 12