584,817 active members*
4,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > how to use vfd for old cnc mill
Page 3 of 6 12345

Re: how to use vfd for old cnc mill

....try the Fault/Status button then Reset Button to clear. Low lube should not affect Axis drives only the Cycle Start

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ....try the Fault/Status button then Reset Button to clear. Low lube should not affect Axis drives only the Cycle Start
    Attachment 445000
    this section of the schematic makes it seem like low way lube level would throw the same fault as hitting a x,y, or z limit switch. I think that'll be my first check this evening. the guy i bought it off of said way oil - vactra #2. Is there some easy to procure alternative to that? I don't have anywhere local to buy oil besides automotive and farm supply stores. if i top off the reservoir with hydraulic oil until i have a chance to find a distributor of way oil, would that be a big deal?

oops - deleting double post

....Use a straight weight (20) non detergent oil...maybe Compressor oil is easy to get for you. For Vactra2 at a good price I bought this
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mobil-Vactr...72.m2749.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ....Use a straight weight (20) non detergent oil...maybe Compressor oil is easy to get for you. For Vactra2 at a good price I bought this
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mobil-Vactr...72.m2749.l2649
    So I just picked up a nuance in your instructions for referencing. For some reason I had it in my head that i should go to jog - (R) reference - cycle start. I also was trying cycle start to change jog speeds. hitting cycle start was the issue. if i just select jog speed and then start using the jog buttons - it moves. so selecting R i can then use the jog -x, wait for that to complete, jog -y, wait for that, jog Z +, wait for that. then the reference error clears and everything looks good.

so THANK YOU very much for your help. The issue came down to my reading comprehension. In my defense, the mill I used to use from time to time at my work required cycle start to be pressed as the Enter key for pretty much everything (I think...)

Now i'm ready to start working on the VFD integration for the spindle. I'm sure i'll be back with questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jaysihn View Post
    So I just picked up a nuance in your instructions for referencing. For some reason I had it in my head that i should go to jog - (R) reference - cycle start. I also was trying cycle start to change jog speeds. hitting cycle start was the issue. if i just select jog speed and then start using the jog buttons - it moves. so selecting R i can then use the jog -x, wait for that to complete, jog -y, wait for that, jog Z +, wait for that. then the reference error clears and everything looks good.

so THANK YOU very much for your help. The issue came down to my reading comprehension. In my defense, the mill I used to use from time to time at my work required cycle start to be pressed as the Enter key for pretty much everything (I think...)

Now i'm ready to start working on the VFD integration for the spindle. I'm sure i'll be back with questions.
    ...great It's Alive...It's Alive.
    If,you want view Lag Display and override Rapid of the Axis...use Mode Select>Setup(5)>then type TM4 ..hit Enter. You can also change Date/Time, Home position..etc in Setup.

Jim Dawson and Al the Man will help you with the VFD ..I'm sure when you're ready.

Enjoy,
    DJ

it should be safe to hook the VFD direct for now to make sure the spindle responds to the VFD keypad right? Once that is verified, i will start pulling the signal wires from the relays and get them added to the VFD.

it should be safe to hook the VFD direct for now to make sure the spindle responds to the VFD keypad right? Once that is verified, i will start pulling the signal wires from the relays and get them added to the VFD.
    What is your motor spec's as you will have to set those Parameters in the VFD drive before you run it, and yes from the Keypad will be fine to test it
    Mactec54

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spindle.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	445028

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spindle.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	445028
    Do you have the manual for the VFD Drive just a photo of one of the Parameter pages if you have it, just want to see what the Parameter format is I most likely have the manual
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Do you have the manual for the VFD Drive just a photo of one of the Parameter pages if you have it, just want to see what the Parameter format is I most likely have the manual
    I'm not sure how to direct post pictures from my phone to this forum. Here is an album with the vfd pictures...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/E5Vr4knBwKh5TFveA

Attachment 445040

what is this stuff on the top of the motor?

Besides the spider web, the rest of it looks like a brake. Never seen one like that before.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Besides the spider web, the rest of it looks like a brake. Never seen one like that before.
    I should disconnect it and remove it and use the vfd braking right? It looks messed up, the studs are all bent up.

It does look like it is in kinda rough shape.

Does the machine have another spindle brake? Normally a lever towards the front of the head, on the left side. If not then you might want to keep the brake, maybe convert it to air actuated rather than a solenoid. With no brake, tool changing can be a bit tricky, but I do it with mine by putting it in low gear.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I'm not sure how to direct post pictures from my phone to this forum. Here is an album with the vfd pictures...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/E5Vr4knBwKh5TFveA
    It is a very simple VFD Drive here is what to use to get you going

Make sure the spindle is free seeing it may have a Brake that will need to be energized to release the spindle

Main Power supply input connections R and T Plus Ground for this VFD Drive

Pn02=100 ( this can go to 120 if the mechanic's in the head are up to the extra speed )

Pn10=100

Pn11=30 ( This may be able to go lower and will depend on motor Temperature and Motor cooling )

Pn12=100

This is all you need to set to be up and running
    Mactec54

I should disconnect it and remove it and use the vfd braking right? It looks messed up, the studs are all bent up.
    No you can not use the VFD Braking without a Braking Resistor and that is only for slowing it down not for locking the spindle for tool changes
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It is a very simple VFD Drive here is what to use to get you going

Make sure the spindle is free seeing it may have a Brake that will need to be energized to release the spindle

Main Power supply input connections R and T Plus Ground for this VFD Drive

Pn02=100 ( this can go to 120 if the mechanic's in the head are up to the extra speed )

Pn10=100

Pn11=30 ( This may be able to go lower and will depend on motor Temperature and Motor cooling )

Pn12=100

This is all you need to set to be up and running
    thank you, i'll try these settings later.

last night i set pn02 to 60, pn10 to 60, pn11 to 40, and pn12 to 60. i briefly hit run and watched the frequency ramp from 0 to 60 but the motor never started moving so i shut it back off.
    does pn08 (acceleration time) not need adjusted?

the motor is able to spin by hand. using the hand brake locks it up.

No..its fine for testing. double check motor side wiring UVW.

...just had an idea. What happens if, you try a M3 or M5 command from the CNC. Relays clicking somewhere..brake etc?

1st make a program with Mode Select>Catalog> then make a file called MDI by typing MDI hit enter (or anything you like 8 bit) exit Catalog.
    Mode Select>Edit(3)>type N1 hit enter then hit Event Type> EIA then type M3 hit enter..then Cycle start to execute...(if I remember correctly)

thank you, i'll try these settings later.

last night i set pn02 to 60, pn10 to 60, pn11 to 40, and pn12 to 60. i briefly hit run and watched the frequency ramp from 0 to 60 but the motor never started moving so i shut it back off.

the motor is able to spin by hand. using the hand brake locks it up.
    Is the VFD Drive U V W connected direct to the Spindle Motor check the motor wiring connections that you have it setup for 230 / 240V

The Default was fine to start with for the Acceleration and Deceleration, if it trips out with Acceleration then it would need to be increased but with such a low RPM you are using you most likely will be able to decrease it once you get it running
    Mactec54

Page 3 of 6 12345