585,933 active members*
3,669 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > U10L Floppy Read/Write Problem

U10L Floppy Read/Write Problem

Good day,

We purchased an old Okuma OSP-U10L Lathe two years ago and we've been having floppy issues the whole time.

Initially when we first tried copying files over to a floppy everything started out fine but soon after we started seeing an error:

"330 floppy disk read/write ERROR 40202046"

After the error, the floppy was no longer usable unless we reformatted thus losing all our saved info.

We swapped the floppy drive, no fix. Changed the ribbon cable, nothing. We now have a Nalbantov N-Drive emulator which worked briefly until the same errors started.

A company that was here to fix our Mill said that it sound's like a voltage thing but was unable to take a look because they weren't allowed unless we started a new ticket.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how we can fix this problem? Is it a voltage thing?

We have limited usable disk space currently and I'm constantly having to delete old programs and reprogram new ones every time we need something new.

Any help is greatly appreciated

DT

Re: U10L Floppy Read/Write Problem

...hook up to your RS232 Com Port to a PC with example below.
    https://www.usconverters.com/wireless-serial-adapters
    and a null modem Cable
    https://www.showmecables.com/db9-fem...-_AOV&keyword=

So this device will enable me to save files on a PC and transfer them over to the U10L? Do I need two? One for the Lathe, one for the PC? Not sure how this all works.

Quote Originally Posted by BEL_DT View Post
    So this device will enable me to save files on a PC and transfer them over to the U10L?.
    Yes, if you have RS232 port on the CNC.... DB25 port plug most likely you have. Maybe something less complex would work for ya...like USB to Serial Adapter and a Null Modem Cable is the way to go. That would be the minimal hardware you need PC to CNC Transfer/Receiving files.
    https://tripplite.eaton.com/keyspan-...dapter~USA19HS

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    Yes, if you have RS232 port on the CNC.... DB25 port plug most likely you have. Maybe something less complex would work for ya...like USB to Serial Adapter and a Null Modem Cable is the way to go. That would be the minimal hardware you need PC to CNC Transfer/Receiving files.
    https://tripplite.eaton.com/keyspan-...dapter~USA19HS
    So here's the thing. Not the best at G-Coding (working on it though). I program on the machine itself using IGF because it's so easy. When done, covert it to a .MIN file which is the g-code it needs to run. Transferring the files back and forth from PC to CNC I don't have a lot of confidence in working because the CNC is so old (1990s-ish model I think). If I go this route, what software do you recommend I use to communicate between the two? I am somewhat tech savvy but when it comes to this I don't feel so confident on what to do.

I cracked the control panel back and I didn't see any RS232 or a DB25 port initially. There is another panel within but it'll take some work to pull it off and have a look. I scoured the internet looking for an electrical drawing but haven't found one yet. I'm not totally sure what advice you giving will work at all.

DT

hy kurmay can assist you to setup comunication

also, you could use a remote, last edition igf, so easy, and get things done

so, in the end, you may get packed up pretty well / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Quote Originally Posted by BEL_DT View Post
    So here's the thing. Not the best at G-Coding (working on it though). I program on the machine itself using IGF because it's so easy. When done, covert it to a .MIN file which is the g-code it needs to run. Transferring the files back and forth from PC to CNC I don't have a lot of confidence in working because the CNC is so old (1990s-ish model I think). If I go this route, what software do you recommend I use to communicate between the two? I am somewhat tech savvy but when it comes to this I don't feel so confident on what to do.

I cracked the control panel back and I didn't see any RS232 or a DB25 port initially. There is another panel within but it'll take some work to pull it off and have a look. I scoured the internet looking for an electrical drawing but haven't found one yet. I'm not totally sure what advice you giving will work at all.

DT
    ...IF.you have a Comm Port (DB9 or DB25 type) it would be somewhere easy to access for connection.

Never seen Okuma machinetool without DB25. Post a pictures here, I will point you where to look.
    The software is good whatever you choose for serial communication, for instance very popular tool "Hercules".
    I would not advice to use "null modem cable". Take full serial cable better, it's easier to set communication working with hardware handshake.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    Never seen Okuma machinetool without DB25. Post a pictures here, I will point you where to look.
    The software is good whatever you choose for serial communication, for instance very popular tool "Hercules".
    I would not advice to use "null modem cable". Take full serial cable better, it's easier to set communication working with hardware handshake.
    See pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0927.jpg   IMG_0935.jpg   IMG_0936.jpg   IMG_0939.jpg  

now I undersand you are looking at the wrong place. Take general photos please. Serial interface as usual is accessible without disassambling.
    Okuma U10L

start at the 3:05.

The guy opens a cover marked big "3". There you can see DB25

now I undersand you are looking at the wrong place. Take general photos please. Serial interface as usual is accessible without disassambling.
    Okuma U10L

start at the 3:05.

The guy opens a cover marked big "3". There you can see DB25
    We don't have that "3" cover or anything like it. See pics. Nothing on top/bottom. The cover in the third pic leads to nothing. Ignore the dirty grease.

take pictures of main control cabinet, please.

take pictures of main control cabinet, please.
    Here are some more.

Generally the DB25 pin port will be on the outside of the electrical cabinet. Have a look on the outside, maybe near the main switch?

Took some more pictures of the back panel away from the controls. Forgive the mess. Looking at the floor, there is a DB25 female that runs all along the outside and around to the Grey box found on the left.

...Photo #3 above you posted is the DB25 RS232 most likely and should be mounted to the Cabinet so, it is accessible from outside the Cabinet. Make an adapter Plate if, needed.