584,871 active members*
5,171 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tig torch water cooler

I am interested in building a water cooler for my Lincoln 175 tig welder. Does anyone have any plans or ideas they would be interested in sharing.

Dave

auto heater core (small radiator) and a muffin cooling fan

When I had my tig machine and converted it to water cool I used small parts water from harbor freight. It held about two gallons and a small transmission cooler that was bolted to the back of machine so when the machine fan came on it would cool water. Worked very well for years and then I got the bright idea and sold it. “Bad Move on my part” I also put a check valve, about two PS I in the return line so if the pump failed all the coolant would not drain out.

I bought a Pro-Con pump. I think it's also known as a carbonator pump. Then a motor from Grainger with the correct face to clamp the pump to and then an aluminum core? or ? that thing that looks like a heater core, but comes from an air conditioner. I also bought a squirrel cage blower and motor from Grainger. A five gallon plastic bucket holds water and a little anti-freeze. Return water from the torch passes through an old plastic Pepsi bottle screwed into the bucket lid to confirm flow, over a small probe type temp gauge stuck through the side of the plastic bottle and back to the bucket.

I'ts worked well for 10 years now. I change the water once a year and clean the pump inlet screen. I only have a 175 amp torch and do mostly thin wall tubing and thin aliminum.
    I can send a picture sometime after FedEx delivers my new camera tomorrow.

I built my first one about 10 years ago. Since then I bought them. Shop Ebay and you should find a good used one for around $250. To me it's not worth the effort, but if you want to trans. coolers & heater cores work well for radiators. Unless you do alot of high amp long duty cycle welding you probably would not need a radiator, just a pump and 2 to 3 gallons coolant. Good luck.