584,849 active members*
4,103 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 15 of 15 5131415
    Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    WHAT........you got rid of the lathe now it's up and running...I'm astounded.

Perhaps you have something new in the pipeline, a new design based on the old one?

We are hungry for details.
    Ian.
    HAHAHA...yeah, Steve seems to be more of a machine BUILDER (or rebuilder), and a pretty damn good one at that!!!
    Dont tell me you missed his new machine build thread on this Horizontal Boring machine???
    He stole most of the CNC bits and cross slide from this mini-lathe for that, so I need to recreate all that stuff. I'll change it up a little, just because. So far I have ended up with this cool toy and his 9x20...so maybe I'll have the HBM on my bench soon too...LOL. Especially since I cant ever seem to finish ANYTHING I start.

Joezx10r is that a possible [AR] receiver in your avatar? Is there a build log on that, looks cool.
    "Are you gonna eat that?"

Quote Originally Posted by praetor View Post
    Joezx10r is that a possible [AR] receiver in your avatar? Is there a build log on that, looks cool.
    Heres the link to the lower.http://www.geocities.com/elmgrove176.../project6.html Pretty easy to make and saves a little money not making it from one large block. Made mine from stainless steel.

Hi Rube, thanks for the link to Steve's hori borer thread.

I searched for it a while back when Steve indicated he'd got the bit between his teeth to build the borer, but missed finding the title.

Are you intending to make any mods to the present CNC lathe, apart from more beefier motors etc?

What parts did Steve leave you when he sold out.... just the screws??? LOL, oh well, that's a good start.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    ...Are you intending to make any mods to the present CNC lathe, apart from more beefier motors etc?

What parts did Steve leave you when he sold out.... just the screws??? LOL, oh well, that's a good start.
    Ian.
    HAHA...actually, I didnt get any screws...LOL. but it was a good deal for both of us I think. I traded this drill press for it. What I got was the bed w/rails, riser, headstock, spindle, 3" chuck, carriage and trucks. I already have screw stock and ball nuts from an X3 conversion I never got started on. I only have 2xx oz steppers, but thats all Steve had and it seemed to do fine. I have Gecko drives, and would like to try smoothstepper or CNCbrain. The only major "mod" is to try to get the cross slide screw under the slide. I'll have to go with a 3/8 screw/nut, or else have 3 or 4" of screw sticking out the back of the slide. Maybe try to get the main screw down the center of the bed too, but that would take me forever. I'm certainly not as good as Steve, and I'm big on CAD first to work out all the details. I've started a thread on HSM, but dont hold your breath for updates as fast as Steve's. Hell, maybe I should just pay him to finish it for me, since he's been out of work for a bit.

Rubes

Hell, maybe I should just pay him to finish it for me, since he's been out of work for a bit.
    hmmm.. I could use a few extra bucks Rube

I am thinking about building a 1/5 scale RC nitro drag bike from scratch as my next project :devious:

Steve

Much appreciated

Thanks Joezx10r, I've seen a website on these once but forgot the link.
    "Are you gonna eat that?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rube View Post
    I have Gecko drives, and would like to try smoothstepper or CNCbrain.
    Good news and bad news on Smoothstepper.

First the good: I have one, they're easy to set up, they work well (as far as they go), and it's very cool to be able to plug a laptop in and run Mach3.

Now the bad: There is no backlash compensation, and there are a number of other missing features. Threading for a lathe is at least available. Support is very slow as the owner/designer is said to have a large industrial contract of some kind he is working on. Last time I was on their support board it had been 5 weeks since he was heard from.

Smoothstepper is not especially cheap. Personally, I would go with a parallel BOB unless you're just dying for one.

Cheers,

BW

Thanx for the input Bob. I kind of had that feeling about SS :drowning:
    Havent heard much about the brain either after the initial frenzy awhile ago.
    And of course you're right with keeping it simple for the first setup, thanx for the(nuts)

Steve,

I have some questions about your pulleys. What size timing belt pulley are you using on your benchtop lathe headstock spindle, and where did you buy it? How many teeth did you choose?

I have the same kind of headstock as you on my benchtop lathe build, but I am having trouble finding a timing pulley that has a 1.050 bore. Did you turn the bore to size?

Thanks,
    Dave

Smile CNC Lathe

Steve,
    It's amazing. What software do you use to generate g-code?

Sadheer,

quick question, what length linear rails did you use for each axis?

awsome work btw, im starting a similar project and was directed to this thread and was amazed to see what was in my mind has already been built
    http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

Steve:

This is an extremely informative thread and exposed me to your unique and creative solutions!!
    I'm sure that many of the new viewers who have not discovered your work will share my opinion.

What's New??

W. Smith, Mission Viejo, CA

Hey thanks for bump on this thread.
    This is a nice build
    md

Re: A benchtop cnc lathe build

Let's bump on this thread again.

Very nice build. And inspiring.

Re: A benchtop cnc lathe build

Sadly Steve (S_J_H) passed away in 2013. Dunno if rubes still has or ever finished the lathe after trading for it in a disassembled state. There was a post on HSM about his passing. Loss of Forum Member S_J_H

RIP Steve; you were a very clever fellow and I would've really enjoyed meeting you.

Page 15 of 15 5131415