Hi everyone,

I'm the soon-to-be owner of a 14x22 "Yam" slant bed lathe from a school auction. From what I can tell, they were also sold as "Cadillac" and a few other names, but are essentially copies of a mori-seiki design. If anyone can verify that, or has access to a manual, I'd love to find out more about it.

The lathe has an anilam crusader series M control which sits in a box/cabinet almost as big as the lathe. I'm not aware of any issues with the control, but won't know more until I have the lathe in my garage. The only physical issues I'm aware of with the lathe are that one of the servo motor brackets is broken, and the sheet metal on the back is dented. It's possible it may have tipped at one point, but a friend who is a CNC machinist looked it over and said there's no other apparent damage.

This will be my first CNC lathe. I have a couple of manual lathes, but no experience (yet) in the CNC world. This is strictly a hobby for me - I'm not planning to get into any type of production, but I do enjoy this stuff.

Before I invest too much time and/or money in the lathe, I had a couple of questions:

- is it worth trying to use the crusader control? Or should I be looking at a more modern control, or a PC-based control? The motors appear to be brushed DC servos.

- does anyone know if this lathe can be used manually as well as via CNC? I already have a 14x40 manual lathe, but space is at a premium in my garage so if this could fill that spot, I'd need to consider selling that one.

- if anyone has a copy of the manual, or any other information about this lathe or control, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk