585,758 active members*
4,456 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > Inventor users?
Page 2 of 3 123
    We are using version 10 at the school this year. I have worked with AutoCAD since v13 myself and I found Inventor very easy to step up to (was V8 at the time). I find it much easier to do 3D modeling in inventor than AutoCAD. Changes and updates are so easy with this software.

I like using inventor. The changes and updates are the best part. I still run into things that I just can not do in Inventor. (or maybe I don't know how)

I need a 3d sketch point to show up on my drawing. Could not get it to work. (have not tried ver 10). I do a lot of work with tubing and the 3d endpoints are a lot easier to work with in Autocad.

Bill

I too have used autocad for years. A couple years after they started doing 3D I tried it and almost trashed the ideal of ever using 3D. I know inventor is miles from that old junk but I really like the Alibre Design. BTW I have toyed with inventor myself.

For a list price of $1000 (usually you can get it on sale cheaper) you get some very hardcore 3D abilities with Alibre. I know an engineer using Inventor and I also know from what we have discussed is that for the most part I can do everything he can do with a little more control and ease of use. Mind you that the Alibre version I have would come with a few less things but they also have most everything else for a few hundred more. We argue about which is which is more powerfull but the truth is they both have advantages.

Solidworks cost several k more than Alibre but also has a few features Alibre does not have. But there isn't a Solidworks user that couldn't take Alibre and start making designs in minutes. Alibre is very powerful for 3D. But most 3D specific software is going to be better than a 2D based sytem. However I would say Autodesk is better 2D than they are 3D.

Inventors biggest advantage is probably their large part database but that isn't taking long for the other to catch. Alibre and Solidworks both have a parametric design that makes tham very useful in many aspects. I like being able to put in sqr(d4/2-d1) for an example of a math computation where d4 and d1 are dimensions of certain features in the design. Or where I can set a diameter to a variable that causes every feature to recalculate based on changing the one variable.

To each his own but for me.....I like power for less.
    PS:I started with their free Alibre express and got more from there. They have an export module for the free version that only costs $99 and lets you output iges,step,dwg and more. www.alibre.com

Hello I used before autocad, but switched over to Inventor 9.
    And that was a good idea.

Ist is not finished yet. And I got a problem with creating a dial.

Greetings Gijs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HBM45 v3.JPG  

So are there any $100 programs with similar features??

Alibre Xpress is free, but limited in some ways. But you can add modules to add functionality. Most are $199

www.alibre.com/xpress
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

i got give 5 licences for 2 years on autodesk inventor 10 for free,.... thank you southampton uni! The got some autodesk guys in to give us a lecture n we all walked with free disks!

Is it easy to generate G & M codes from inventor?

bigal ,
    you said it Is it easy to generate G & M codes from inventor?
    can you tell more
    thanks brad
    IF ITS NOT BROKE YOUR NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH

Ashes to ashes , dust to dust , If it wasnt for Harleys the fast lane would rust.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

no i didnt, i said is it? i dont know i am asking the question...

Inventor is a CAD software for making models, not a CAM package.

CAD = Models
    CAM = G Code stuff

Most softwares do not do both. Although most cam packages do some CAD they are usually not great at doing it.

Hi to all Inventor users!
    Hey I'm a fan of Inventor, and I'm looking forward to their new release of R11. I've been fortunate to see what's coming in R11 and I'd like to point out a few things: Inventor is not a part modeler for the single user. It's an Enterprise level Assembly modeler. So many of the features that it admittedly is lacking (in the Part modeling environment), it makes up for in the assembly envirnment. Autodesk is not trying to compete with Solidworks. In fact Solidworks is suffering from not growing into something that can compete with it's big brother CATIA. Inventor is looking to compete on CATIA's level.

For you guys on R8 or earlier take a look at upgrading, it's getting better all the time.

If you have any specific questions I can try and help, PM me.

I have been an AutoCAD user for many years. I now use Inventor 10 with Hypermill. It is an excellent solid modeler and very easy to learn. Once you do learn it you can draw parts so fast it will make you head spin.

Cheers
    Dave

I have used IV 10. It, to me, seems on par with solidworks for most things. Very user friendly, runs a little slow on my laptop, but I need more RAM.

I used Pro/E for years, so I think that just about anything is easier than learning that.

Hi all Inventor users!
    Listen! R-11 is shipping and I gotta say its the most stable and significant release since R-7. I'm really jazzed with some of the feature enhancements.
    I would strongly recommend upgrading if you're a user. I know this sounds like an endorsment but I'm just an end user who consults on the use of Inventor. I just see a few bashes here and I wanted to chime in and give my 2cw. If anyone is interested in what's new in R-11 just ask away.
    Evan Brainard
    Windmere Design
    Autodesk Inventor Consultant
    [email protected]

Okay, I'll bite. What's new in Inventor 11?

Dan

Probably the most significant upgrade is with the fillet feature. All previous releases only filleted edges. But this was dicey teritory when the edges got broken or the surfaces became too small to allow the fillet.

Now we have surface filetting! You can choose joining surfaces as one group, and the intersecting as a second group, and fillet radius.
    I can't tell you how perfect the timing for this relaese has been for me, as I've been modeling a very complex part with lots of curvy surfaces. None of which were filleting for crap with R-10. And now all of them are fine.
    There is also a face>face>face fillet choice. This one automatically applies an averaged fillet on the middle face based on the distance between face one & face three.

Then there is rail choices within the Sweep feature. Too wordy to discribe here.

Surfacing: There are some critical tools there now, Trim & Extend, and Sculpt. (This last one I haven't got into yet.)

The rendering engine in Studio seems more powerful. It used to not render some materials well. But it seems better now.

And most importantly, this rev seems VERY stable. I have not crashed once since I loaded it three weeks ago.

Hope this all makes sense.
    Evan Brainard
    Windmere Design
    [email protected]

Can you work with imported IGES files yet? By work with I mean use your surfacing tools on the imported geometry. I know this has been a sore point for Inventor in the past. Imported IGES files have been only for reference in previous versions, from what I recall.

Thanks

Dan

Oh that sounds like great stuff. We have really needed a better fillet command. I can't wait for Hypermill to release their updated software. I will switch over when they do.

Dave

Re: IGES. Depends on your skill level and the state of the model. I have been able to bring in an IGES model of a mans face and thicken it to a solid for further use. Not easy. But there are ways to use a Surface model either as is or as reference to other solids.
    But unfortunately, my guess is that native IGES will always be reference only inside the Inventor environment. I'm not pleased either since IGES is the only format bridging the gap between CAD and 3d animation packages. But thats another story.

Autodesk has to keep their eye on the ball, and that really means only forward progression. From a sales point of view if they can't elevate the product with current technology, how can they do it with legacy technology. Don't forget, they have also not supported their own DXF standard beyond export only from the drawing environment.

So Solids or nothing, I'm afraid.
    Evan Brainard
    Windmere Design
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B
    Can you work with imported IGES files yet? By work with I mean use your surfacing tools on the imported geometry. I know this has been a sore point for Inventor in the past. Imported IGES files have been only for reference in previous versions, from what I recall.

Thanks

Dan
    Give Transmagic a try. Everytime I tried to import an IGES file it opened as a surface only (yellow) and all efforts to promote, stich surfaces etc failed. In Transmagic you can fix it and it opens just fine as a solid model. It can also convert from/to many formats

Nikolas

Page 2 of 3 123