584,860 active members*
5,239 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > Inventor users?
Page 1 of 3 123

Inventor users?

I want to know how many Inventor users are here.

I compared Inventor to Solidworks and found that although Solidworks has a few capabilities that Inventor does not yet have, I found Inventor easier to use.

Plus I did not want to give up my Autocad updates. IV or SW cannot replace many of things I can do with Autocad at this point.(with all the custom 3rd party programs the many users have generated).

I took the one week class for IV and need to keep practicing with it to get good.

One thing that was mentioned in class is that the plan is to eventually get all the functionality from Acad and MDT into Inventor. Its at release 8 now, 9 is due out soon. Release 10 next year, will have full surface modeling capabilities.

Bill

I USE INVENTOR 8 AT WORK.

I already have tried a lot of programs like solidwordks, autocad, unigraphics, ideas and still I`m only using inventor profesional 8 to do al of my drawing, I think it`s still is the best programs tot make drawings, fast and easy. i use it at home and also on school. inventor is the most suitable for beginning designers, i learnd my little borther (14) inventor in a weekend, so......

greetz Maarten

As for your macros in Acad and MDT, if you buy inventor the latest version, there is a way to model in Inventor and draft in MDT while maintaining the associativity.

Check out this site for more detail

http://d3technical.com/forum/phpBB2/

I have used, Unigraphics, solid edge, and solid works. While I like the primitves of unigrphics, I think that Inventor is mreo powerful and intutive than solid edge and solid works.

I also think that Inventor is more powerful than solidworks in the overall package of what it offers.

I agree, maybe SW2k4 have more features, but i felt more comfortable with Inventor8, to sketch and for 3D, although assemblies movements are not so easy than in SW2K4 IMHO.

I'm a die hard Autodesk user for years. Been using AutoCAD since R12 DOS days. And I disagree with in saying that SolidWorks doesn't have the features and is more powerful than Inventor. SolidWorks is what we are currently migating too and it is far superior solid modeler than Inventor. IMHO Don't get me wrong I still like AutoCAD / Autodesk products just glad someone didn't bring up ProE ) That is one app I don't care for.
    Brent
    -------------
    Sometimes people have a hard time reading my emails and posts, so thats why I type slower.
    So people can understand me then.

I use Inventor also.

Having used Catia also, I find it very easy to use, train etc.

Yes it doesn't have ALL the features available in other programs it does have the ones I need 99.9% of time and they keep adding and updating.

I think the user interface is one of the best.

I have used also used Autocad since r12 dos days. I have also used SDRC, Pro Engineer to R20, Inventor, and Solidworks 2004. Inventor is a nice package for the money and easy to use. Solidworks has alot of nice features as well that Invetor does not. I like using both programs, how ever given the choice I pesonanly would choose Solidworks. The translators in Solidworks are pretty good compared to Inventor. Just my 2 cents. Budget wise I beleive Inventor is cheaper than Solidworks. If cost was a issue I would go with Inventor.

I use IV8 at work. Very easy to learn and use.

Hello,
    I too have been using Auto Cad since the days of DOS, I have V5 at home, and use V8 at work. I also have a copy of Solidworks and yes, it does have many advantages over AutoCad, but then so have others in the past and Autocad has always managed to come back and take back market share. I started back when Versa Cad was the top Mechanical software and Auto Cad was the Arch. software of choice. My opinion is that Inventor will catch up to and surpass Solidworks if history is any indicator. Inventor is much easier to learn out of the box for the basic 2D'r out there.
    Glen

Maybe to little too late

I have used inventor at my previous place of employment and found it quite user friendly. I agree with the earlier comment that it doesn't really to more than AutoCAD can. In the days before inventor/mechanical desktop we used to do 3d solid modeling in autocad with the same results as inventor. Without getting into to much technical details I feel that inventor is just a "dumbed down" or user friendly approche to 3d modeling. No offense to inventor users. When we did 3d in autocad it was a lot more time consuming in the early stages and as new versions were released the tasks became faster. The one thing I found inventor has over autocad is the parametric aspect and even that can be duplicated somewhat in autocad with the xref feature. Now having said that it doesn't update adaptive parts (hence the parametric thing) but if done effectivley all drawings can be updated.
    Anyway I now use Alibre design which i find to be similar to inventor. My question is how are you guys affording inventor with the 15,000.00 price tag?
    Maybe we here in Canada our prices are different but Alibre has a price tag of approx 600.00 and is as powerful as Inventor.

Thanks for reading

I've used inventor to model a couple things www.fusionxstudio.com/mcad.html

inventor 9

Inventor v9 I ordered the 30 day trial and I think it as the best thing sence sliced bread, Yes it may be a icon driven auto cad , but dawing parts is a breeze , setting new work plains, my time is almost up but the money seamed to be a lot less then the 15 gs, but still out of my leage
    heres a part I need from a 2d drawing
    IF ITS NOT BROKE YOUR NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH

Ashes to ashes , dust to dust , If it wasnt for Harleys the fast lane would rust.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Inventor Series is not $15,000. It is priced comparably with SolidWorks in the $4000 to $5000 range (Canadian $'s)

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Does anyone know where I can get training on inventor. I have found it hard to use, I am familar with autocad but Inventer is eating my lunch. thanks

I use Inventor 5 myself. One of the easiest to use CAD programs I've come across. I would love to know how to use XSI or ProE (not that I could afford them) but honestly I haven't found anything in Inventor that I wanted to do and couldn't.

I am looking forward to using OneCNC XR though - we'll see if it can replace Inventor for my modeling needs...
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

Quote Originally Posted by Txfatboy
    Does anyone know where I can get training on inventor. I have found it hard to use, I am familar with autocad but Inventer is eating my lunch. thanks
    There are AutoDesk training centers all over the U.S. You can go to the Autodesk web site to find the closest one. Try the link below.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=3001477

There are also some books available through Amazon.com. In addition, there are several good websites. A link to one of the best is below. This site has many good free tutorials.
    http://www.sdotson.com/

Inventor is very easy to use once you get use to it. However, it' requires a much different thought pattern than AutoCAD.

Hello

I use Inventor 9. I used Autocad before but changed to Inventor because I wanted to animate some of my models. No I find Inventor alot easier to use and I think that it is alot better that Autocad. I havn't worked alot with SolidWorks so I can't say anything about it.

\Jonas

PS

You can take a look on my homepage to see some of my work. (http://www.geocities.com/jcee324)

DS

Inventor 10 nice program.
    You can go inside of Autodesk's web page and sign on for a 30 days trial version. It is full. Well, You don't get Autocad Mechanical, sooo.

Chivo
    I did just that and recived my 30 day trial , but can not get it to install, it hangs at the
    microsoft sql deskengine and ask me about a key
    Do you think it the hardware or software , just got done fdisk the system and a new install
    any thought ?
    Brad
    IF ITS NOT BROKE YOUR NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH

Ashes to ashes , dust to dust , If it wasnt for Harleys the fast lane would rust.

Page 1 of 3 123