584,874 active members*
5,244 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Arggghh! Jerky Motion All Three Axis

Standard AVID CNC with their electronic package. Very new HP Pavilion laptop - W10 upgraded regularly. Nothing exotic or exciting or unusual in other words.

Used the machine a day or two ago. Worked perfectly, as usual. Fired it up today and all the sudden, the motion will run along as expected, nice and smooth, than all the sudden it gets jerky, I noticed it on all 3 axis. I ran a program just to flatten a piece and it was obvious something was amiss. The surface has a couple of sections where the machining is pretty rough.

Any ideas? I think there was an Intel update recently that said something about Serial control or something like that. I ran the Warp 9 installer and everything looked fine there. This seems to be intermittent.

I just shut everything down and took a break. I'll keep working on it until I get too frustrated! Thanks for any help.

Tony

Re: Arggghh! Jerky Motion All Three Axis

You should definitely update as little as possible. Especially with 1909 version of windows. I do not have mine connected to the internet at all because of random things windows likes to try out on you.
    Did you make sure to use the windows 10 fix installer from them? I recently replaced my machine and have it at 1909 but disconnected from the internet now. It sucks that I cannot share files easily but, the smooth stepper may have problems if wireless is connected and windows is doing something it wants to. Windows always does random things in the background and the ess site recommends not allowing internet at all to the device.
    I would recommend updating as little as possible and checking to make sure that new updates will not affect the system. Once you have it working, make sure it stays that way by disconnecting the internet. I also have a backup image in case I need up something at some point again.

If your Ethernet updated, maybe the driver settings need to be changed again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I hate windows 10.
    I would avoid it on a cnc.
    If I HAD to use it I would never connect it to the internet and I would transfer my gcodes over to it via usb stick.

There isn't a choice with the ess controller though. So, no updates at all after it is working. Only way is to disconnect from the internet. Even so, no local WiFi either. It will mess with the system.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Well, I have been using W10 for quite a while and diligently updating it and never ever had an issue. I'm not sure what was/is going on today. I only mentioned the particular Intel update in case it was a known issue. I shut everything down before I came in and posted this. Went back out and fired everything back up. It seemed to be acting better. So, I ran a program and it worked fine. Ran it several times and it still seemed fine. Some kind of weird hiccup is all I can guess. I hope that's all it was anyway. I've had those before.

I do turn off WiFi when running the CNC. However, the other day, I forgot and nothing bad happened. This new laptop is an i7 with plenty of memory. It cooks and I have yet to have any issues running anything I wanted all at the same time. I don't even turn off the Windows virus stuff anymore. The only thing I do is keep the WiFi off. I almost always have VCarve running at the same time. Mach 4, btw.

If it happens again, I'll ask again! But so far.....

Now, onto addressing the bulging keyboard in the house laptop (battery is getting a wee bit fat! - time to yank it out). Always something.

Update: I used the machine yesterday to do some surfacing and it worked just fine. I don't know what happened the other day. Just one of those things I guess. Something obviously got out of 'whack.' Anyway, glad it is ok now. I really wasn't in the mood to start chasing a problem! I hate that!

I surfaced a board for a vacuum table I'm building and while the I was at it, resurfaced my spoil board. The surfaces (MDF) were beautiful! Working on building a vacuum table using MDF as the surface with no holes. I've read that it works out pretty well. Its an experiment. I'd like to use it to cut paper and other thin materials that are difficult to hold down (using a drag knife). I made one with holes that I attach a shop vac to for cutting veneer and it works out real well. For this one, I'll use my vacuum veneering pump. Usually, I spray thin materials with a tacky spray, but they have a throw away backing (sticky vinyl, stencils, etc.). That won't work well for paper. Anyway, we'll see what happens. Hope it works!

Tony

I would not recommend running your machine from a laptop.
    Sure you will hear people do it.
    The problem is they have many things happening in the background that desktop computers don't.
    You can buy a cheap desktop PC to dedicate to your router and most likely have less problems.

Well, its been running like that since I bought it several years ago. Actually, it was on a much "lesser" laptop than what I have now. I just upgraded recently. No issues that I am aware of anyway.