585,690 active members*
4,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Bad driver causing weird microstepping? Identical Axis move different distances.

Bad driver causing weird microstepping? Identical Axis move different distances.

New CNC Mini lathe build. I have a Z and an X axis and I have them setup identically. Both axis use the exact same 1204 ball screw, same exact drivers, same exact DIP switch settings, same exact software settings. Yet they do not move the same distance when commanded to using the Centroid Acorn. I have re-done the wiring, re-flipped the DIP switches, even changed microstepping (from 1/8 to 1/16). I also swapped the cables at the plug end, and the cables on the drivers themelves, and it always follows the same driver.

Is there anything, other than a bad driver, that could cause this? It all points to the driver being bad, or having a bad DIP switch. But just wanted to pick your guy's brains to see if I'm missing something.

As an example, if I have both drivers set to 800, and I have the steps/rev in the software set to 800. When I tell the machine to move each axis 20mm, it will move the Z axis 20mm, but the X axis only 5mm.

These are the drivers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the steppers: https://www.automationtechnologiesin...lat-570-oz-in/

I've got a new driver on the way to test, as that's the only thing I think it can be. But was hoping to see if you guys had any thoughts.

Thanks!

Re: Bad driver causing weird microstepping? Identical Axis move different distances.

Well, if you change just the driver and the problem follows it - it must be the driver. As you said, probably a bad DIP switch or a bad soldering joint. Easy enough to try all microstepping options and figure out which bit of the switch is not working properly.

Re: Bad driver causing weird microstepping? Identical Axis move different distances.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    Well, if you change just the driver and the problem follows it - it must be the driver. As you said, probably a bad DIP switch or a bad soldering joint. Easy enough to try all microstepping options and figure out which bit of the switch is not working properly.
    Kind of what I figured! I'm just still pretty new to this, so wanted to make sure that there wasn't something dumb I was missing.

Hi, Colt!