585,763 active members*
4,463 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > stepper motors for sale ?
Page 2 of 4 1234

Re: stepper motors for sale ?

i also want to purchase one , is there any serious seller?

I'd like to match what I've got on this mill already . There is such a gap between the motor and ballscrew I need fairly long couplers , and most in this style are short .
    mcmaster has what I need and they are pricey but from what I understand is they don't ship to Canada . I've ordered a different style from stepper online and I'll have to contact them again to find out why they haven't shipped them yet . They got my motor to me fast but for some reason they've been slow getting them out . They aren't ideal couplers but they have to be better than relying on set screws . When the ones from ebay arrive then I'll swap over to those .
    it would have been nice to have access to proper parts rather than turn this thing into a project mill . At least the motor is 1/4 the price of the novakon replacement

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    mcmaster has what I need and they are pricey but from what I understand is they don't ship to Canada .
    McMaster will ship to Canada via Purolator. Generally your order will arrive overnight. Reasonable shipping rates and No surprises with brokerage fees either. You do have to pay the GST/HST though. I used to order from the local Fastenall store but McMaster is always has what we need and is much quicker than the Fastenal down the road.

good to know , thanks

after weighing out the cost of 1 coupler from mcmaster vs a dozen on ali express I figured I'd try ali for the 1st time . Best I can get is 5-15 days with fedex on ali . I've gotten myself out of this bind enough that if the torus takes a dive then I can wait a week or 2 .If the torus crashes and burns then so be it . The modified 440 will cover anything else that comes up .

I've got enough parts coming from every direction that I'm going to have lots of spares , and a lot of those spares will be used elsewhere .
    All this has forced me on the decision to pull my King Canada 20vs(g0704) and do a complete rebuild and get it making parts again . At least that way I'll have breathing space to decide on my next move

after weighing out the cost of 1 coupler from mcmaster vs a dozen on ali express I figured I'd try ali for the 1st time . Best I can get is 5-15 days with fedex on ali . I've gotten myself out of this bind enough that if the torus takes a dive then I can wait a week or 2 .If the torus crashes and burns then so be it . The modified 440 will cover anything else that comes up .

I've got enough parts coming from every direction that I'm going to have lots of spares , and a lot of those spares will be used elsewhere .
    All this has forced me on the decision to pull my King Canada 20vs(g0704) and do a complete rebuild and get it making parts again . At least that way I'll have breathing space to decide on my next move
    I'm not pleased to hear about the difficulty in sourcing parts. I think at this point if I need a new milling machine I would be probably looking else where.

you and me both are displeased

John finally got back to me the other day . It's at least a month before he'll know if he'll have parts or not . What angers me is so much the lack of parts it's the lack of regard . He's not even looking at the orders nor does he put any effort in keeping a guy updated . I told him I was in a desperate situation , he promised to get back to me which he didn't .

As pissed off as I am I wish the best for him but at the same time he's the source of a whole lot of swearing thats been going on in my shop . I've done my best on here to be civil , because the way I feel I could easily have turned this into a bashing session . I've been so up and down with this thing that it's a wonder how I haven't taken a sledge hammer and smashed i into small castings yet .
    I'm sure my problems may seem small in the big scheme of things but I can't afford down time , nor can I afford the time sitting searching for parts . This defeats the reason for buying a machine like this
    A lot of hobby mills have come and gone over the years and I hope this isn't the case with novakon , but the one constant stands out and that is tormach . Had I known that novakon was going to move to the US I'd probably have had 2 770's in my shop rather than the torus . And , I really wish I knew that the spindle at it's lowest point is so far away from the table . That blew all my plans for for fixture plating

On the bright side I know I can have motors , drivers etc from online steppers within a week . I'll be ordering some more motors from them soon to have on hand . I did some digging around and found 2 backup drivers that were still boxed and on the shelf , the only other concerns are the transformer which shouldn't go , and what to do if or when the spindle goes . I'd like to find a source for a drop on replacement spindle motor . At least if I can have everything on hand then I won't come unglued when the time comes

My suggestion to everyone is to start sourcing parts and saving links , because if the time comes then we can all pool them together in a future thread

sourcing the right couplers isn't proving to be easy . I knew the couplings from stepperonline were on the small side and upon receiving them they aren't heavy duty enough to limp through . Mcmaster are similar but they are short and won't provide quite the same fit . There is obviously a source somewhere because these aren't made specifically for novakon , but 2 weeks of searching for an exact match has come up with nothing .

So far the set screw fix is holding up . Fortunately I don't do a lot of hogging , and though my mills get lots of hours they aren't run hard . I suspect when it finally lets go it will be on a drill cycle due to the sudden back and forth rapid moves .

The g0704 is closer to running again . I've built a new and beefier mount block for the z ballscrew . The one that was supplied with the conversion kit had a tendency to flex and now that flex has been eliminated . There is a slight bit of play in the double ballnut , I've added a bit of shim already and another couple thou shim between the 2 nuts should have that resolved .
    Glockcnc has a 1200w 5600rpm brushless motor setup which I purchased in order to have a better spindle motor . With that I'll build another belt drive and I hope it will provide a decent rpm with an appropriate amount of torque to run a 2" face mill . I've got a spare mx3660 and the mill will be wired completely the same as the 440's so that pathpilot can be run with minimal modifications
    I'm not keen on stepping backwards but at least I know the mill and I have every part imaginable to keep it running

Can you make your own motor coupler on the mill?

I've been considering rebuilding the one side of the couplers and probably will . Right now time isn't on my side for side projects on the mills , neither is a bad crash though lol
    I know they are out there somewhere , it's just a matter of finding them . With a bit of tweaking I'm sure I can set the z with a solid coupling , as long as the ballscrew was machined dead nuts , the y would be a no go on that I think
    The couplers from aliexpress are a bit on the short side as well but I think they may fit ok , I won't know until I have them in my hands

When I first bought my mill and turned my mill and turned it on one axis would not move. I looked and it was missing one of the couplers. I asked about it and and was told it was on its way to me directly from china. I wish now that I would have saved the envelope so I would know where it came from. I never considered at the time that getting parts would be an issue in the future.

Did you check with Motiontek? They are near Toronto. Also I think Robotshop carries them they are also in Canada.

I purchased mine direct from Ruland. They are not cheap but never had a problem with them.

Motiontek doesn't have the same style as we need for these mills . The style they do carry is the same as I had sent from stepperonline , and they aren't good for these mills . I came across the robot shop and they are more geared towards small stuff .
    Ruland actually has a decent match and I hadn't realized till now that they can be bought straight off their site . At 200-300 they are pricey but if they are the only ones that will match up then it is what it is . So far I'm still running and I'll see what these others look like once they get here , otherwise if they don't fit or I run into a bind then I'll probably jump on the ruland . The price drops significantly and almost in half on a purchase of 10 , but thats a hard pill to choke on to have extra motor couplers on hand

One thing I find silly on a Chinese mill where everything is metric , is the fact that the stock motors are 1/2 shaft . Ruland makes it easy to match up , but most others are either standard or metric , and a guy needs to buy each , then take them apart and match up from one to the other . Some have the option of 12.7mm but I don't see that very often in my searches

Have you asked John@Novakon if he can give you a source? If John won't stock them then perhaps he would be willing to help customers keep their mills running.

to be honest , I'm still pissed off and don't want to ask him for anything . if the company folds we'll be on our own anyhow
    maybe it's the wrong attitude to have but it's the way I am
    I don't view this mill as a novakon anymore . It's a chinese mill thats going to have parts where ever they can be found

Can you post the dimensions of the coupler you want? I'll look around a little.

64L x by 45 diameter . Thats the idle size , a bit shorter would do to

Motiontek doesn't have the same style as we need for these mills . The style they do carry is the same as I had sent from stepperonline
    What style is it that you need?

So far I'm still running and I'll see what these others look like once they get here
    Are those the ones you bought from Aliexpress? What did you buy?

One thing I find silly on a Chinese mill where everything is metric , is the fact that the stock motors are 1/2 shaft.
    If you're sourcing the couplers from China, often they have the imperial, you just send a message and tell them what you need.

You can always drill out a 12mm coupler half with a 1/2" drill bit, I've done stuff like that before, and it wasn't a problem, you just shim the slot and tighten the set screw first.

I found these on EBay, D45, L66

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1PCS-New-10-.../163824502871?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wellenkupplu.../133346878900?

Which means that they would also be available on AliExpress, and you could probably find a faster shipping method if you contact the sellers.

I just looked up the part number in the parts catalog (GS19) and it might be a valid part number. GS19 is a series of couplers from Anaheim automation. I'm not sure if you already know this I did not reread the thread. If its new information maybe look there and see if one meets your specs.

https://www.anaheimautomation.com/ma...ec%20Sheet.pdf

Page 2 of 4 1234