585,981 active members*
4,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Better replacement software for Gibbs and Mastercam

Better replacement software for Gibbs and Mastercam

We are currently using Mastercam X and sometimes use Gibbscam. Neither program is acceptable for modeling and may be looking to try new software that better suits us. We really like the verify features of Gibbs and the graphics are better and MCX has more ablity but not as user friendly.

What is out there that we need to try?? We really need to model and program toolpaths in the same program.

I'm using FeatureCam now at work and I like it. Not sure how the modeling works. We model with Inventor and Solid Works.
    I previously used MasterCam since V6 and wasn't too impressed with X, but I did think it was somewhat user-friendly.
    Anyhow you can download an evaluation copy to try out
    HTH

Mark
    Insanity "doing the same thing and expecting a different result"
    Mark

www.mcoates.com

Quote Originally Posted by mark c View Post
    I'm using FeatureCam now at work and I like it. Not sure how the modeling works. We model with Inventor and Solid Works.
    I previously used MasterCam since V6 and wasn't too impressed with X, but I did think it was somewhat user-friendly.
    Anyhow you can download an evaluation copy to try out
    HTH

Mark

sheesh, I think they want to know what I eat for breakfast everyday too! I guess when I have a few hours, I will try to get an eval of that software. We never did try solid works either but I guess I ultimate goal it to align our cad and cam software in one program. It just makes tooo much sense and would help our prototyping. The power to change geometry fast and re post tool paths in one program would be great.

OneCNC might be worth a look. I don't know what type of parts you typically have to model, and what the general nature of your work would be, but I use it often for both modelling and machining.

I often work with customer supplied models, but sometimes, I'll have to redo a model if some surfaces are missing or features absent, or the design needs rework.

Learning the general rules of modelling with surfaces or solids (you can do either in OneCNC) takes a bit of time and patience, I don't know of a shortcut for that learning curve, except to save often
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

SolidCam plugin for solidWorks

replacement cam

Looking at the previous comments, they do not seem to have addressed your original question, "Replacement CAM". Do you want Cam with CAD or CAD with CAM. it does make a difference.

If toolpath verify is a prime constraint, following with reliability, ease of use, QUICK, efficient, has its own added CAD solution, then i do beileve you need to look at WorkNC, they have been providing software to industry for over 20 years, must be doing something right.

(nuts)

Solidworks is the hot ticket these days. Almost all software packages are now ported to import native Solidworks files. Solids are the only way to go anymore. You get water tight models that will go directly into Mastercam.
    Demo Solidworks or have solids added to your Mastercam software and learn how to use it...........Problem solved.
    Be carefull what you wish for, you might get it.

I'm with Tony on this one. CAD with CAM or CAM with CAD?

Either way, Mastercam and Gibbs are both very strong in both areas. It might be worth it to get proper training instead of investing in a whole new system, PLUS training for THAT system.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

solids/surface

Well Jrom,
    you are leaving yourself open here with a sweeping statement like that, do you not think it depends on your application and industry. we are mainly supporting the mould (sorry mold in the USA) industry and we get files from everone and his dog, and that is what some of the iges files are "dogs". We do not need water tight solid models, what is the point, if there is a 0.001" gap between surface edges, "so what" the cutters will not go down them, the quality of the finish will not suffer.
    Our customers just want TO CUT THE DARN THING, so a package that is tolerant to surface gaps is a must. the other main thing with CAM solutions, pick one that will cut TRUE surface data, there are quite a few out there that cut TRIANGLE MESH and in my experience (IMHO) the toolpath is of better quality from surfaces.Cunverting it to triangled is just another deviation away from the true data, and however small the length of the triangle, it is still a FLAT vector, triangles by definition are straight sided
    (nuts)

Smile

Hey do you want to try Tebis ?
    i can get you a trial verison from Tebis America if you want ( free ...)

No Problems with ... gaps ..stl meshes... and i works with crappy iges models too

I have worked it for 17 years with Tebis and i got the best results ever
    Worknc is also very good

Any Software that works on NURBS Solids is good in my book. I found that Mastercam handles very well in 99.9% of all Models. Of coarse Iges are another story. Iges has over 6 different revisions and cause a lot of problems.

I have but one question. If your already using the #1 CAM Software in the Industry and your having problems, have you considered looking at your hardware??? Is your PC and Graphics Card up to the Task of dealing with OpenGL GUI???

All too many times people think a PC is Just a PC. This is not true for a Software that needs a good Workstation.

So before you toss the #1 CAM Software on the market, look at the PC you have it on and most of all get the proper training.

Here are a few good PC Builders that have the Best Workstations.
    http://www.dell.com/content/products...en&s=bsd&cs=04
    http://www.polywell.com/us/index.asp
    http://www.xicomputer.com/
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com