585,759 active members*
4,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > CNC Club in the Twin Cities, Minnesota
Page 1 of 2 12

Question CNC Club in the Twin Cities, Minnesota

I've been thinking. It would be really nice to get together with people in person as well as on the board here. I'm located in a suburb of Minneapolis, MN and when I really got into the machining, I looked around on the internet trying to find a metalworking/machining club. I didn't find too many of them, most on the West Coast.

So, that being said, i'm putting it out here now. Would anyone on CNCZone be interested in helping to form a Machining Club??? I've got a few ideas, but i'd like to hear from others who might be interested in getting a club going.

Thanks,
    Wade

TC Club

I'm from the Twin Cities and I would be interested.

I would like to see about being in it. I am from a north suburb of Minneapolis and love precision machining!
    CNC Set Up Machinist -Twin Turret Turning on Mori-Seiki and Mazak

im just getting started - building my first machine but yeah a club would be cool. Im in blaine....

I think a metalworking club would be great. There aren't many of them around the US that I have found out. Tho I did just find out today that there is a wood and metal workers guild somewhere in Minneapolis, but it is one of those co-op type of setups.

Let's get the discussion rolling a bit with some questions. What kinds of things would you like to see done at a metalworkers club? What kinds of demo's could we have.

Let's get a few ideas rolling.

Wade

Did you ever get started?

I just found this thread. I started by building a Solsylva router table last year. Once the bug bit I started buy machines. Now I have a drill press, mini-mill and mini-lathe. I never used a mill or lathe before so the learning curve is pretty steep. I'm in the process of cnc'ing the mini-mill. If you started a club I'd love to hear how it's going.

Lucian

Hi,

I am interested and live in the SW metro burbs. I know a couple of others on the northside that would likely be interested as well.

Robert

I live in Minneapolis. Just starting to construct my first machine (this is gonna be heavy... almost all metal!). I'd love to get together and see some machines in action. We could bring all of our extra parts and see if anyone wants to trade/sell.

Hi All,

Nice to see this thread picking up a bit more. I think it would be a lot of fun to get together and swap whatever, be it ideas, techniques, or just plain knowledge. I'm a relative newbie myself, but i've been learning tons about this fascinating hobby. I've actually got myself a Syil America SX3. It's quite the machine, a little intimidating, but hey, it's still lighter than a BridgePort. LOL

What kinds of things would you guys like to see in a club as far as events, etc???

A few ideas that I came up with was:
    - Mach Setup and tuning of a hobby cnc system (MILLING)
    - Mach Setup and tuning of a hobby cnc system (TURNING)
    - Designing of stepper motor mounts.
    - Wiring of stepper motors.
    - Basic CAD/CAM design/programming.
    - GCode Intro
    - Basics of CNC lathe work (I still haven't had the guts to try any CNC lathe work.)

I've even got a good friend who is a master machinist that I may be able to talking into giving a talk for us.

Anyway, those were just a few of my ideas. Anyone who is interested, please chime in with some more ideas. If anyone is already part of a club, please tell us a bit about your club and how it is organized. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,
    Wade

Since I'm new to machine tools as well as CNC I'd also like to see some topics geared towards beginners.

- How to adjust the height of lathe tools.
    - Milling machine spindle speed and feed rates.
    - Work piece clamping and indiciating.

The Mach3 stuff would be good. I have a registered copy and use my shop computer to run the milling machine (when the cnc'ing is done) and the router table.

I also use V-Carve pro so that would make another area that I would be interested in learning from what others have figured out.

I would also be interested in this. My father and I design and build air ambulance interiors. We also do alot of custom alum. fabrication. All of our equipment is CNC, plasma, brake, shear, mill, lathe. We're also building a CNC router.

The only problem I forsee is our location. Most of the posts on here are coming from the Cities, we are located in Lake Park. Outside of Detriot Lakes.

Mike

Med-Pac,

You are definately a ways away. I googled you and it looks like you are about 210 miles from Anoka (that's where I live). Once we get a few more responses on this thread, maybe we'll try setting up an initial meeting somewhere. With any luck, we can try and plan it on a day where you and your father could attend.

Wade

That sounds good. Maybe we could do monthly/bi-month meetings at different shops. Would be a great way to compare thoughts, and maybe even stir up a little business for some of us.

Mike

Either monthly or every other month is kind of what I was thinking too. We'll have to find a few people with shops big enough to possibly host a meeting. I have at least 1 place already that is a possibility, but that isn't confirmed yet.

Wade

We could also host one here in Lake Park.

Mike

That is a possibility, but we have to get something established here first. The largest group of people are located in the Twin Cities metro area. Once we actually get some structure built in which to run the club, we can plan field trips to the more remote shops for speciality meetings.

I like some of the ideas people have laid out, hopefully a few more people will pipe in with some more ideas.

Cheers!

Wade

Okay, I know this isn't the correct spot, but I'm desperate. Does anyone have an extra/spare/unused 3 axis stepper motor controller they would be willing to part with for some cash? I really want to get this machine running this weekend as I am going out of town for a few weeks, it'll eat me alive to think about it in Florida. Thanks.

I just ran across this thread as well. I am an engineer and have lots of CAD experience but have only dabbled in Machining (some classes in college). I got a Industrial Hobbies mill a year or 2 ago. I'd sure be interested in getting involved and learning more about using machines correctly and possibly graduate from the school of "hack". I live in the NW suburbs near Maple Grove/Rogers area.

Hi Peashooter!

Nice to meet you. You and I are pretty close. I live in Anoka. I like the industrial hobbies mill. I may have considered that one if I had known about it when I was buying mine. I have the Syil X3 and love it. Still learning lots about it, but i'm having fun and making chips.

Wade

Anybody still interested in this?

Page 1 of 2 12