585,575 active members*
3,611 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Servo motor biased in one direction

Servo motor biased in one direction

Hi, hope someone that kows about servo motors can help. I have a Sanyo Denki PY2 drive and a P3 motor set to position mode. I have plugged it in and I can get it to jog quite nicely using the drive's handheld remote. I believe it uses velocity mode to jog. However, when I plug it into my controller (Masso G3 which is a Step/Dir unit) and tell it to move CCW, it keeps spinning after the move finishes. When I give it a CW move, it does the move pretty well (a bit of jerking afterwards). Also, I can easily turn the shaft CCW but it fights me when I try to turn it CW. As you can see in the video below, It reacts to me barely touching the shaft. Any help is appreciated.

https://streamable.com/5nmxdg

Re: Servo motor biased in one direction

Hello.

I recently had a similar problem. It was a rusted connector on the drive. I replaced the female connector and cleaned the male connector on the drive using flux (the one used to clean copper clads in electronics servicing) rubbing it with a cotton swab.

Isopropyl alcohol is the recommended procedure but I have found that flux gives better results.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Re: Servo motor biased in one direction

I think you might be right. Moving the encoder connector does affect the behavioour. Although the pins on both female and male look good. Could be bad solders on the drive connector. I will try to clean it as you said and see what happens. Failing that, I'll open the drive and check the solder joints.

Muchas gracias desde el Reino Unido, originalmente de Yucatan.