584,812 active members*
5,595 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

NEW HOBBY MACHINE

I'm looking to buy a new hobby router for wood working. Been looking at the x-carve and the shapeoko, any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Re: NEW HOBBY MACHINE

Hello.

Take a look at OPENBUILDS. You can get some ideas from them.

https://openbuilds.com/

Best of all is that you can get plans and software for free.

Regards.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by kasari62 View Post
    I'm looking to buy a new hobby router for wood working. Been looking at the x-carve and the shapeoko, any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
    Often people come to these forums and talk about how they want to mill aluminum using a shapeoko, and then when you tell them that it's not going to work out as they think it will, they argue and argue and argue some more.

Really, the thing that I hate about these companies, particularly Carbide 3d, is the way they market their products. If you look at their YouTube channel, the videos are professionally produced, the performers come across as knowledgeable, they use all kinds of buzzwords, but then the videos are sped up, the sound of the machine cutting is usually removed, and replaced with music or voice over. Presumably to cover up the gosh awful sounds of chatter as the machine nearly breaks it's self in order to make light cuts.

I don't think that either of these machines are suitable for business use, yet both of them are marketed as such.

You want to do some hobby woodworking....ok, this could work for you. One thing to consider is that it is possible to do some very nice work with a machine that isn't very ridgid, but you have to slow it down and take light cuts...and in some cases this can be frustratingly slow. I was just watching a video of one of these machines doing a very nice 3d wood carving. The finished product looked really good. But I'm sure a better machine could have done it in 1/3 of the time.

The plastic wheels these machines use are not great. If you compare them to a good quality square type linear bearing and rail, they are not in the same class. Also, the belt drive system, particularly with the narrow light duty belts used on these machines, is also not great. Really, these machines are like toys when you compare them to a good quality router.

I'd check out cncrouterparts.com and see if there is anything there that is in your budget. I was also going to suggest looking at the Saturn 2 series from fine line automation, but as I browsed through a couple of threads here, there are some mixed reviews. Still might be worth looking at.

Also good to keep an eye out on Kijiji to see if you can pick up something used.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMNet View Post
    Hello.

Take a look at OPENBUILDS. You can get some ideas from them.

https://openbuilds.com/

Best of all is that you can get plans and software for free.

Regards.
    If you look at the open builds page, there are all kinds of machines on there that are using square type linear rails and ballscrews. They just use some of the open builds parts, like the "C" aluminum extrusions.

If you do something like that you're now into designing your own machine.

Hi Kasari - What's your budget? This drives a lot of options. Plus if you only stick with timber and plastic good, but extrusion and wheel machines are indeed "hobby" level. People seem to grow out of this level of machine pretty quick. Cheers Peter

Before getting too far down the road,it might be useful to familiarise yourself with the software to create the objects you intend to produce and to generate toolpaths.It will be very frustrating to have a shiny new machine sitting there and not much idea of what to do next.Some of the promoted hobby machines will let you learn the basics of moving a tool around but will take a long time to actually produce anything.It might be worth looking at the online sales sites to see if somebody who has been in your position has one for sale as they upgrade-it will cost a bit less and you can pass it on the same way when you follow the same path.

Hopefully I didn't come across too harsh in my last post. My opinion hasn't changed, but I've been thinking of other options for you, something that's a bit more helpful.

Another option I came across in a different thread is Omio CNC

https://www.omiocnc.com

If the Avid CNC Pro Benchtop is outside of your budget, this one might be worth looking at.

I think that most of these 6040 type machines from China are junk, using unsupported round rods, direct motor couplings (without the proper bearings) to leadscrews, no limit switches, etc.

But these Omni machines use square type linear rails and ballscrews. It looks like the X6 and X8 machines have two bearings per rail?, at least on the long axis?, I'd look at one of these. Also, I'm not sure what the bearing supports are like on the ballscrew fixed ends, I couldn't find a video of one being disassembled.

Looking at this more closely, some of their machines have the round rails, I'd stick with the square ones.

A quick look on YouTube leads me to believe that these machines are WAY stiffer and better than what you would get from an X-Carve or Shapeoko. Huge difference. One guy even upgraded his with an ATC spindle.

It looks like their largest machine is the X8 ? with a max working stroke of X(565mm) and Y(770mm). That might be too small for you? When I added it to the cart the price was $2799 USD plus about $400 USD shipping. But I believe that is for a complete 3 axis machine including spindle, which makes it considerably less expensive than an Avid CNC benchtop machine.

Compare that to the X-Carve 1000mm at $2299 plus shipping, and I don't think that even includes the dewalt router.

https://www.omiocnc.com/products/x8-2200l-usb.html

Also, the OMIO markets it's self as a "CNC engraver" where the Shapeoko markets it's self as "the Most Powerful and Rigid CNC Machine for Your Shop". LOL.

I'm not saying that you should buy it, just that it might be worth looking at, and searching the forums for some reviews and opinions.

Also there may be some similar brands that use good components that I'm unaware of (just be aware that most of them do not).

Thank you guy's,

I really appreciate the input.
    Yeah, I don't want a real light weight, flimsy machine.
    That would just frustrate the heck out of me.

I will keep searching...

I've been considering the work area of the omio X8 of X(565mm) and Y(770mm). Personally, I think it's a bit small for someone who might want to do some wood working projects.

I've come across another potential option.

cnc4newbie

Does anyone have any experience with these guys?

https://cnc4newbie.com/store/en/new-carve-cnc-p104/

So these are leadscrew driven, instead of ballscrew. It doesn't have to be a huge deal though. There are some really good quality leadscrews and some not so good quality ballscrews in the world.

A couple of questions I would ask cnc4newbie if I was considering buying one of these....

1. What are the fixed end bearing supports for the leadscrews like? Can't see in the pictures what's going on there.

2. What is the lead (distance traveled per revolution) of the leadscrews? I'm assuming that these are multi start screws. They look quite fine to me. IMO, 10mm - 20mm would be good.

3. What is the diameter of the leadscrews and what brand are they?

The "1000" kit has travels of 35.5" x 34" that's 901mm x 863mm, that seems a little more reasonable.

And they make upgrade kits for the X-Carve

https://cnc4newbie.com/store/en/upgr...ve-p103c77c66/

that replace almost everything but the electronics. Obviously you would not want to buy an X-Carve to upgrade it, you would just buy the other machine. Seems like a bit of an oh crap, what do I do now kit.

Not saying that you should buy this. Just saying it's another option that might not suck. Cheers.

This guy really likes cnc4newbie products. Apparently he started with an X-Carve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxeqOEsee40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tDidM37TxI

I love football very much and you?