584,817 active members*
4,601 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

I tried to buy a 6040 router from eBay.

So I tried to buy this machine from eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Axis-CNC-...AAAOSw8gBeoCTE

Then I got this mail from the seller.

Tool-Zoom:
    Dear Customer,
    So sorry to bother you.
    We have checked our shipping information,which had shown that your shipping address was error.
    So we will help you cancel the the order.
    We have send a cancel request to your ebay account.
    Please accept the cancel request,than you will get the full refund.
    If you still want to buy this item,please fix the error address,than make order again.
    When you make order again,please contact our customer service,we will provide discount for your new order.
    The address you need recheck before you make order:street.city,state,post code,country and phone number.
    Have a nice day.

Me:
    What do you mean "your shipping address was error."? What information is missing? I have checked my "Shipping address" and the information is correct.

Tool-Zoom:
    Dear customer,
    Thank you for buying items from us.
    But sorry to tell you that our cooperating logistics party has no way to deliver it to your country.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.
    You can buy from other sellers.
    Is it OK?
    Looking forward to your reply.
    Thank you.

Me:
    Ok. Which sellers can deliver to Sweden then?

Tool-Zoom:
    We are not very clear about it.
    You can try to buy from other sellers.

I'm honestly at a loss for words. It clearly says "Will ship to Sweden". Am I supposed to buy a bunch of machines at random until one hopefully delivers? This is mad.
    I noticed also that it went from 10 available to 3 as soon as I tried to order but only 2 sold (one of which is my attempt to buy). Makes me wonder If they even have the machine in stock at all. But why would they do that? I don't get it.
    Anyways. What do you think? Is it worth trying a different seller or should I stay away from eBay altogether? What other alternatives are there? Thanks.

Re: I tried to buy a 6040 router from eBay.

Sounds like a language barrier thing. A lot of these sellers on Ebay are in China and they just list stuff, and the Ebay website (if you've ever sold anything) is frankly horrible. They make it worse every year, hiding options and making it really easy to set up your auction wrong.

I'd just look for another seller and maybe just ping them in advance and ask if they can ship to Sweden. You could try AliExpress too.

Good luck!

The seller did you a favor

Now you can consider a better machine with square type linear rails, perhaps an Omio, as was suggested by someone else in your other thread. LOL. :stickpoke

That's not a fair comparison though. A OMIO is about 3x the cost of a regular 6040. If you had $3k to spend on a machine, I would think a CNC retrofit on a Grizzly milling machine would be a better way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by devinw View Post
    That's not a fair comparison though. A OMIO is about 3x the cost of a regular 6040. If you had $3k to spend on a machine, I would think a CNC retrofit on a Grizzly milling machine would be a better way to go.
    Depending on what kind of a work area you need and what you want to do with the machine, a mill conversion could be a better choice for sure.

I have a small CT 129 mill bought from busy bee tools....it looks to me to be the same as the Grizzley G0704 but there may be some fundamental differences that I'm not aware of. I've had it for years. Mine is kind of a piece of turd. I can only really take light cuts with it, so much freaking backlash on the leadscrews.....just not great quality in general. Mine would definitely need a spindle motor upgrade as well as ballscrews and CNC conversion to make it a worth while project.

For the cost comparison, I just read a thread from someone with a cheap 6040 that replaced all the electronics because he couldn't get it to work. I don't know how much better the omio electronics are, but if you factor in having to replace your electronics box, the price difference might not be so much. But then again, you might have to do that on the omio as well. I'm really not an expert on these machines.

Yeah, you're probably right.
    AliExpress seems even more sketchy than eBay though. I probably should just bite the bullet at this point and go for the Omio X8. For that price it better be amazing.

Maybe. Which version would you suggest then? X8-2200L-USB or X8-2200EPL?

Edit:
    Oh, and one more question. It says "Revolution Speed: 6000~24000rpm/min". Does this mean that it can't go lower than 6000rpm? That seems like a big limitation to me. The ones on eBay say 0 ~ 24000rpm. Is that false advertising then? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77 View Post
    Depending on what kind of a work area you need and what you want to do with the machine, a mill conversion could be a better choice for sure.

I have a small CT 129 mill bought from busy bee tools....it looks to me to be the same as the Grizzley G0704 but there may be some fundamental differences that I'm not aware of. I've had it for years. Mine is kind of a piece of turd. I can only really take light cuts with it, so much freaking backlash on the leadscrews.....just not great quality in general. Mine would definitely need a spindle motor upgrade as well as ballscrews and CNC conversion to make it a worth while project.

For the cost comparison, I just read a thread from someone with a cheap 6040 that replaced all the electronics because he couldn't get it to work. I don't know how much better the omio electronics are, but if you factor in having to replace your electronics box, the price difference might not be so much. But then again, you might have to do that on the omio as well. I'm really not an expert on these machines.
    Oh yeah for sure, the stock drives and spindles are pretty horrible. My friend has a G0704 and got the CNC kit from a company i can't remember the name of but they make really nice kits for all the Seig/Grizzley/Harbor Freight stuff. It's all nice ball screws.

But yeah, if you want to do more real milling than large area routing (especially if you want to do a lot of harder materials), i think having the higher rgidity of a big cast-iron affair will go a long a long way. For routing, the Omio does look nice and way more turn-key than a typical run-of-the-mill 6040.

Quote Originally Posted by IsakAndersson View Post
    Maybe. Which version would you suggest then? X8-2200L-USB or X8-2200EPL?
    If you want to use Mach 3 then you need the X8-2200L-USB. Then you supply a PC and monitor or laptop.

I assume the X8-2200EPL uses an arduino based board, either 8 bit or 32 bit, as is common in 3d printers. So the computer is built in. You load the g-code with a usb. You are limited to using the small screen and buttons on the control box. It runs on whatever firmware they have loaded, I'm guessing it's marlin based, which you may or may not be able to modify (is there a bootloader on the board? is it open source or closed source? How user friendly and well thought out is their user interface? All things I don't know). This might make the machine more difficult to use when considering post processors for popular CAM software. Also it may be harder to upgrade the machine in the future. But you don't have to have a computer next to the machine to use it.

For the machine I am working on right now, I plan to use a Duet board, either a Duet 2 or a Duet 3, which are commonly used for 3d printers, and are 32 bit. I know that I can add a 7" touch screen to it, and that I can connect it to a computer via ethernet or wifi if I want that familiarity of a larger screen, keyboard, and mouse. I know that it is highly configurable, modifiable, expandable, and that there is a large support base for it. If I were to put together a controller for a machine like this, from scratch, that is what I would do. Possibly a Duet 2 running separate higher current and voltage trinamic drivers from bigtreetech, or a Duet 3 running it's built in trinamic drivers at 24V, being careful to select appropriate Nema 23's with low inductance so as not to be hindered by the lower voltage.

Ideally the only people who can give good advice on this are people who have already bought one of these machines. I'm not an expert on them, I don't own one. But it might be worth having a look at these threads:

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/chine...-x6-2200l.html

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/chine...are-forum.html

Quote Originally Posted by IsakAndersson View Post
    It says "Revolution Speed: 6000~24000rpm/min". Does this mean that it can't go lower than 6000rpm? That seems like a big limitation to me. The ones on eBay say 0 ~ 24000rpm. Is that false advertising then? I'm confused.
    I'm guessing it's the same spindle, but the VFD may be programmed differently. I don't see you getting much, if any, performance out of this spindle below 6000 RPM regardless. What do you want to cut below 6000 RPM? Is there a wood or plastic bit that you want to run below 6000 RPM?, I'm guessing not? It's not the kind of spindle or machine that you can use large bits to cut metal with at lower RPM. You would need a mill for that. If you were going to cut some aluminum sheet for example, you're probably going to be using a 4mm to 6mm endmill at 15 to 24K RPM on this machine. Am I missing something?

I'm really surprised at how well these machines perform in the videos, and it's clear that the bit choice plays a big part in that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNMNG9PG7uk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puea0bLgrYo

IMO, not being able to use this spindle below 6000 RPM makes no difference.

Isak,

I've been responding to two threads concurrently on similar subjects.

The other one is here:

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/gener...y-machine.html

youyisia

Edge finder, drill bits, maybe taps (with floating holder, although thread milling is probably to be preferred), possibly slitting saw or fly cutter/bottom cleaner, and whatever else I can't think of at the moment.
    But yeah. This machine clearly isn't made for that kinda stuff. Guess I was overly optimistic wanting a machine that does it all...

Quote Originally Posted by misteju View Post
    I'm honestly, very disappointed in ebay!
    I know, right? eBay used to be my favorite online shopping place. They were having the best deals, and most of the time, the delivery was quick, and I could track it! The last time I ordered a Xiaomi electric toothbrush. Thank God they have sent me the parcel with speedpak shipping. Otherwise, it would have taken ages for my toothbrush to arrive, lol. I hope that they revise their intern policies and get back to what they used to be. I feel more comfortable paying an American company rather than a Chinese one!