584,866 active members*
4,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Considering Avid Pro to cut thin sheet Aluminum

Considering Avid Pro to cut thin sheet Aluminum

Hello All,

I am considering building an Avid Pro 5' x 10' to be used to cut thin sheet aluminum as well as MDF and Plywood. I will be cutting parts for a homebuilt airplane. I also need ATC and looking at the S30 spindle or the Chinese ATC spindles. Curious what everyone's thoughts are on these machines and if anyone is using them to cur sheet aluminum. Mostly will be .025" to .04" thick. Also considering Clearpath Nema 34 Servos and curious if anyone has these installed on an Avid Pro.

Open any and all Suggestions or advice.

Best regards,

Marc

Re: Considering Avid Pro to cut thin sheet Aluminum

Yes, totally can cut aluminum (as many YouTube videos will show) and I've got clearpath nema 34 servos on my avid benchtop pro, though I did my own electronics.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Too cool.

So you're the company that makes the kits?

I haven't flown in years. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it.

What size sheets does the aluminum come in? The machine should cut aluminum sheet fine, but at those thicknesses (0.025" to 0.04") I have to wonder if a laser might be a better solution.

Also work holding comes into play here. I can't imagine that you want to put double sided tape on every sheet you cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Richmaple View Post
    Yes, totally can cut aluminum (as many YouTube videos will show) and I've got clearpath nema 34 servos on my avid benchtop pro, though I did my own electronics.

Thanks this is just what I needed to hear. Great to know you added the Clearpath servos to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77 View Post
    Too cool.

So you're the company that makes the kits?

I haven't flown in years. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it.

What size sheets does the aluminum come in? The machine should cut aluminum sheet fine, but at those thicknesses (0.025" to 0.04") I have to wonder if a laser might be a better solution.

Also work holding comes into play here. I can't imagine that you want to put double sided tape on every sheet you cut.
    Hello Nic,

Yes I am making the kits, but not for the Bearhawk LSA. I registered long ago when I was about to build one. Wife likes flying enough that the tandem layout of the Bearhawk LSA is a no go. Plus have a infant now so need a 3 place airplane. My website for the plans (kits eventually) is here. Cloudbase Aviation Aircraft Designs – A division of Cloudbase Engineering LLC
    Also have a link to some aviation specific Gopro mounts and if you go to that site there are some cool backcountry bush flying videos.

Your correct in that the laser or water jet would be more cost effective and if I get to volume will go that route. I need my own CNC router to develop the kit and test fit as I go. Once parts are finalized, I can then move to have them done on a laser. So for me its more of an R&D machine with maybe light production. Also may add a rotary to the long axis to cut the 4130 tubing with the unique fishmouth for welding. I did the fuselage in Solidworks so have all the files already for each tube. I can get the sheets in 4 x 8, 5 x 10 and in 12' lengths, but will likely use 4 x 8 more often but with the dust shoe on a 4' 8 machine I heard its tough to use the entire sheet so figured 5 x 10 and the extra cost is negligible. Also may need to cut a long part or drill a series of holes in a 10' long spar piece. I also plan to get an ATC spindle since I need to drill various size rivet holes as well.

As for workholding, I plan to either cut and leave tabs not cut that I can snip with a hand shear or, I may have the router run all the drill holes and I can either add a screw here and there, or use a low profile cleco and make sure the dust shoe if used does not hit the clecos. Others just use longer endmills to clear the clecos. I also have a Tormach PCNC1100 series 3 and a 600 x 900 100W Laser cutter. I mostly use the laser to etch serial numbers in anodized parts for my camera mounts and such. Also use it to cut cork, rubber, neoprene, Plexiglass and thin Plywood. I am trying to set myself up with all the machines I need to work on the kits. All in an airplane hangar in Los Angeles area.

Quote Originally Posted by Richmaple View Post

Thanks this is just what I needed to hear. Great to know you added the Clearpath servos to yours.