585,575 active members*
4,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Pendants

Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Pendants

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    The Shuttle has its own USB VID/PID (0b33:0020) so you'll have to figure out how to change the one that Arduino uses and probably change the Arduino IDE to recognize your modified device. Alternatively you can recompile the Shuttle handler used by PP to recognize the usual Arduino VID/PID (ISTR that the Shuttle VID/PID is hardcoded in the C source for the handler rather than relying on UDEV rules but I haven't checked for ages). Unfortunately you will then have to patch each version of PP to use your modified handler.
    I think the preferred way would be to have change the USB VID/PID in a Teensy so it was the same as the jog shuttle. Having to make changes after a PathPilot update would be a hassle.
    You would need to do a little reverse engineering to figure out how the shuttle USB protocol works now. Probably get some sort of USB snooper hardware or software. I wonder if you could mimic the jog shuttle with just keyboard commands sent from a Teensy microcontroller.
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by scott216 View Post
    I think the preferred way would be to have change the USB VID/PID in a Teensy so it was the same as the jog shuttle. Having to make changes after a PathPilot update would be a hassle.
    You would need to do a little reverse engineering to figure out how the shuttle USB protocol works now. Probably get some sort of USB snooper hardware or software. I wonder if you could mimic the jog shuttle with just keyboard commands sent from a Teensy microcontroller.
    The code in the Pendant with an attitude that was the start of this thread emulates the keyboard commands. The attitude sensing was just a gimmick to play with. It would be much easier to add buttons to press
    instead of the accelerometer sensing. If you wanted to try that the code is their already. I looked at the USB, if it was a HID device I might have been able to stumble through it and make something work but it has it's own driver and USB is way over my head.

The code and stl files are in Thingiverse/Kisssys

I always do a 3d print of what I'm building to test the idea out, I'll machine the top and bottom out of aluminum one of these days for the Shuttlexpress modified pendant.

Looking at the driver the protocol between the Shuttle and PP is pretty clear so no USB sniffer is required.

Using keyboard emulation it is easy to jog: X-axis, use the ?/? keys; Y-axis, use the ?/? keys; Z-axis, use the PgUp/PgDn keys; A-axis, use the ,/. (comma/period) keys. For me the ability to zero an axis is the most important missing capability and I am not aware of a PP keyboard shortcut for that; using an emulated mouse would solve the problem though. It is harder (impossible?) to get the smooth movement provided by the Shuttle rotary control.

But seriously, why bother? A Contour Shuttle Express is only $59.99 from Amazon.

Kisssys, I see your .stl and .svg files on thingiverse/kisssys but not the Teensy code. Is it available?

But seriously, why bother? A Contour Shuttle Express is only $59.99 from Amazon.
    I was thinking if you wanted a different form factor you could build your own and have a Teensy send out the proper USB signals.
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Missing Pendant code.

It should be their now!

Looking at the driver the protocol between the Shuttle and PP is pretty clear so no USB sniffer is required.

Using keyboard emulation it is easy to jog: X-axis, use the ?/? keys; Y-axis, use the ?/? keys; Z-axis, use the PgUp/PgDn keys; A-axis, use the ,/. (comma/period) keys. For me the ability to zero an axis is the most important missing capability and I am not aware of a PP keyboard shortcut for that; using an emulated mouse would solve the problem though. It is harder (impossible?) to get the smooth movement provided by the Shuttle rotary control.

As I mentioned the keyboard emulation is in the Pendant with Attitude, and the reason to do it is to make something practical, not a pancake on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by KissSys View Post
    Missing Pendant code.

It should be their now!
    Thanks!

I would be real interested to see how Tormach is handling the code with their new pendant/console. Seems if we could dig into that piece we would have all the override sliders, axis controls etc.....
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    I would be real interested to see how Tormach is handling the code with their new pendant/console. Seems if we could dig into that piece we would have all the override sliders, axis controls etc.....
    Everything is open, what are you waiting for?

I would prefer to add some additional features which aren‘t really compatible with the way they handled it.
    It may only be a question of time before Tormach produce a pendant, Frank appears to be working on „something“
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post

I would prefer to add some additional features which aren‘t really compatible with the way they handled it.
    It may only be a question of time before Tormach produce a pendant, Frank appears to be working on „something“
    Step
    But they must have some sort of controller inside the new Operator Console that's sending things like the feed override knobs. I know this is why MoonLightPrototype's pendent has to have a patch to update things. Seems Tormach has that built in or something. If the damn thing wasn't $2,000 I would just order it.

https://tormach.com/media/asset/p/a/..._sheet_10_.pdf

https://tormach.com/media/asset/t/d/...1100_0420a.pdf

Links to the console.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post

Step
    Who is "Frank"?

After looking at the installation PDF I'm confused if the Brix computer is now in the console or if it's still under the unit in the stand..... If that price includes the Brix the price starts to make more sense.

It appears it now has the computer inside the controller..... I wonder if it's the same CPU....

What’s In the Box?

Machine Controller
    Jog Pendant
    Wi-Fi Adapter
    Power Adapter
    Controller Enclosure Mount
    Controller Wire Kit

The $2000 gets you a little more than a pendant! In addition to the cost it is only available for M/MX machines and I have a 770s3.

The $2000 gets you a little more than a pendant! In addition to the cost it is only available for M/MX machines and I have a 770s3.
    Yep, you are right about that! I have two 1100M machines. Considering doing the MX upgrade on one of them and then the other machine later down the road. Also, kind of waiting to see what they have brewing on a new Slant Pro lathe......

Who is "Frank"?
    Frank's the guy with the input device. Obviously I don't know anything more about it, maybe its just be some kind of test device or perhaps....
    As much as I like the shuttle I think they need something else for the router due to the size and the way you work with it (I'm assuming from MD's comments they still only provide the shuttle). I don't see any reason why a pendant couldn't contain most if not all the controls of the console + pendant and be an exact replacement.
    Step

If the console contains the machine controller then the system relies on the embedded Mesa controller on the main controller board. Pre-M series machines require a Mesa card in the machine controller PC. This could be resolved with an ethernet Mesa card.
    I can't see any other reason (so far) why they shouldn't be compatible.
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    After looking at the installation PDF I'm confused if the Brix computer is now in the console or if it's still under the unit in the stand..... If that price includes the Brix the price starts to make more sense.

It is just a brix and they are small. And imho no real simple way to modify it in any way because of the form factor-size.
    Whatever the mx has for added control connections are not going into it. I had to get a usb net adapter just to hard wire network to it. Brix has only one network port and its used for connection to machine. The unit needs a usb expander to connect keyboard, mouse, puck, network and touch screen. Only other port is video. Not much to these things. Not a high performance pc by any means. I have the other size controller on mill and it boots and loads PP in half the time of the brix on the router.

Page 2 of 2 12