584,802 active members*
4,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DMM servo set up

I have a older set of DMM 60EM-DHT-36 400 watt servo motors and Dyn2-h drives. What programs do I need to download to get the system running. I have a laptop with Window 10 and only has usb ports. I would like to use these on a PM-25 mill I just ordered.

Re: DMM servo set up

You will most likely need the USB comm cable from DMM https://store.dmm-tech.com/products/...e-ca-mtusb-fr1

And the software DMM | Technology Solutions | AC SERVO DRIVE | AC SERVO MOTOR | ROTARY ENCODER

Check with DMM for compatibility with your older Dyn2 drive, their tech support is very responsive.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I dont see the older soft ware lisetd. I downloaded the new software but the only cable I have is the short one with yellow tape on it in my picture. Just no way to hook up. I will get with DMM on Monday and ask. Thanks Jim
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by wantacnc View Post
    I have a older set of DMM 60EM-DHT-36 400 watt servo motors and Dyn2-h drives. What programs do I need to download to get the system running. I have a laptop with Window 10 and only has usb ports. I would like to use these on a PM-25 mill I just ordered.
    They are some of there oldest Drives and motors I think they have made it so the new software is still compatible with the older drives I have the old software though, I will have to see if I can some how copy it from an old computer to a USB drive, they will have the software if you contact them they will give you a link to down load it from

I have some of the same that have been running for years I have done some modes with the cables though as those connectors or not very reliable for the Encoder cable

You will need to run those motors with a 2:1 Gearing for that mill

The cable you have you would need to have an adaptor to suit what ever your computer has to use for a comport
    Mactec54

I did try using a USB cable to the port on the break out board but mt lap top wouldnt find the port Using the newer software.

So with using 1605 ball screws I would need to go 2:1 gearing correct Mactec, I guess the servos run to fast?
    Joe

I did try using a USB cable to the port on the break out board but mt lap top wouldnt find the port Using the newer software.

So with using 1605 ball screws I would need to go 2:1 gearing correct Mactec, I guess the servos run to fast?
    Joe
    No the USB port on the Breakout Board is for a optional 5v Power supply only

No they would not run to fast the Gearing is required so you have enough power to move your X and Y axes
    Mactec54

Joe
    The USB cable supplied by DMM connects between the laptop and the drive. It is a USB serial port adapter interface.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Does anyone have a DYN Servo Drive USB Tuning Cable CA-MTUSB-FR1 they want to sell? Shows to have at DMM in canada but anything shipping across the border can take months. Beg borrow so I can get my stuff running, Let me know.
    Joe in St. Louis MO.

I normally get stuff from them in 2 or 3 days. With ground shipping.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Jim has that been within the past 4 months? Delivery in the USA?
    I have heard otherwise from friends waiting on parts / material from Canada. Thats why asking to borrow, Buy a cable from out of USA, Just wanting to make sure all is well with the set up as The mill is shipping to me and I dont want to make conversion parts to retro the mill to the DMM if no good. I hope you see my point

I see your dilemma. No, I haven't purchased anything from DMM in the last several months.

Since you already have a serial comm cable, maybe just a USB serial port adapter from Amazon would work. https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Conve...s%2C223&sr=8-3
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I've got a couple of these old DYN2s on my Bridgeport X and Y axes. As you've suggested, the adaptor shown in the first photo is for a std RS232 port, which is still supported by the current software. You should be able to get an RS232 to USB adaptor from ebay or Amazon for peanuts.

I have a 2005 ballscrew and 2.5:1 reduction, so on the face of it, 3000rpm would give 100mm/second ie 6m/min, if the ballscrews were happy rotating at 1200rpm.

I will order https://www.ebay.com/itm/DTECH-DB9-S...EAAOSwtfhYnkXx

This cable will mate to the DMM male pins on the cable I have, Im sure ill be back for more help on this when I get the cable. Thank you very much guys, This mill has been a dream of mine for years and hope I finally get it all sorted out.

Joe In St Louis Mo