584,871 active members*
5,045 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > What controller for Vexta stepper and worm gear query

What controller for Vexta stepper and worm gear query

Hi,

I'm making up a 4th rotary axis. I have a nice little stepper and worm gear unit sold on ebay as the 'Rino Sherline'. I just need to know what driver and power supply to use with the motor to get the unit to meaninfully hold materials for milling?

Vexta CO14S-9212K
    5v 1.4amp
    30:1 reduction

I have a spare M542T stepper driver which would be handy if I could use that.

Attachment 446054
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rino.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	446056

Re: What controller for Vexta stepper and worm gear query

Quote Originally Posted by marbles View Post
    Hi,

I'm making up a 4th rotary axis. I have a nice little stepper and worm gear unit sold on ebay as the 'Rino Sherline'. I just need to know what driver and power supply to use with the motor to get the unit to meaninfully hold materials for milling?

Vexta CO14S-9212K
    5v 1.4amp
    30:1 reduction

I have a spare M542T stepper driver which would be handy if I could use that.

Attachment 446054
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rino.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	446056
    Hello.

The Volt/Amp figure tell very little about the motor characteristics as it is a DC static value. Try finding about its torque and current. That is figures like 1600 oz-in 6Amps would be more meanngful.

Since you already have the driver I suggest you try it with a supply no more that 45V/5A. A linear supply consisting of a transformer, a couple of diodes, an electrolytic capacitor, a bleeder resistor and a fuse will suffice and be more economical than a corresponding SMPS.

Depending on the ratio of your speed reducer that amount turns into a multiplier, more or less, of the torque of the motor. Hence it´s ultimately dependant on your particular holding device and how that torque is applied to holding your workpiece.

Regards.

Thanks for replying,

I just found the data sheet for a similar stepper from the same company. Holding torque is limited but a 30:1 reduction will raise its game considerably.

Holding Torque
    Bipolar (Series) 166 oz-inUnipolar 127 oz-in

Voltage (VDC)
    5 [Bipolar (Series)]
    3.6 [Unipolar]

Resistance (?/phase)
    3.6 [Bipolar (Series)]
    1.8 [Unipolar]

Inductance (mH/phase)
    10 [Bipolar (Series)]
    2.5 [Unipolar]

Hello.

As I mentioned before. Since you already have a driver I think you should try it. From the specs you posted I don´t think you should have any problems.

If you don´t have the power supply you can always assemble one. Whichever is easier and/or cheaper for you. If you use a SMPS remember to select one with no more than about 5 volts less than the maximum that the drive accepts. That is to avoid damage on the drive or the SMPS due to BEMF from the motor. That voltage level also applies for the assembled linear power supply specially if unregulated. BEMF will be easily absorbed by the output capacitors on the power supply but they can add to the voltage level delivered by it to the driver eventually damaging it.

Regards.