584,865 active members*
4,959 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Install garage door opener

If any of you guys ever installed a door opener system for the garage, please tell me how you did it. Suggestions about brands or models wouldn't hurt either, I'm stuck between 2 models at the moment, should make up my mind these days and then I'll move on to order and set the whole thing up. I'm looking into a chain drive opener for a 550-pound door, by the way, in case this info matters.

Re: Install garage door opener

You need to lubricate the door so that it opens as it should without problems. If you don't have a plug in the door proximity, install one cause you will need to provide power to the opener. Assemble the door opener, there should be instructions in the manual, all models come with one, it's not necessarily a tough process no matter for intricate the system is.

Assemble the rail, slide the trolley over it, and attach the rail to the compartment of the motor. Continue with installing the pulley at the end of the rail, opposite side of the motor, and feed the chain through the end part, around the pulley and the other end.

Attach the end of the chain to the carriage, and you are pretty much done with this part. Moving on, if you don't have blocking on the ceiling of the garage, install it before you set up the opener. Attach the bracket included with the opener to the door where you find the connection point. Lean the whole assembly of the door opener above the garage's door, opposite the motor compartment. Lift it up and set it in place, and proceed to attach it to the bracket you previously set up on the garage's door.

Now you're pretty much set and done, if there are other features that it comes with and require installation, the steps to follow through come after the setup itself, so you'll be ok. The instructions manual should cover everything anyway. When it comes to recommendations, I don't know if it's ok for me to suggest certain brands or models, but I'll give you some useful links to help you make a pick. And some other articles that might be a bit more explicit when it comes to installation in case my directions aren't all that clear. Best of luck!
    https://www.wikihow.com/Install-a-Garage-Door-Opener
    https://www.optimainstitute.com/garage/door-opener.html
    https://popular.reviews/best-garage-door-openers/

Re: Install garage door opener

Liftmaster makes good openers and they cover all the bases .
    Installation depends upon style of door . Mine for example is a steel roll up because the fool who owned this house before me thought he was clever by installing an old school industrial door . The complete manual chain driven assembly is easily a few thousand pounds with 1/2" thick steel tracks and framework . Once installed he realized that he was unable to find an automatic opener . When I got in here i grabbed a liftmaster opener and got it done with a bunch of welding and cutting