584,849 active members*
4,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > How much air should a VF2 use?

How much air should a VF2 use?

I bought a new VF2 in 2015, and it has been a great machine. This year, I upgraded from a 3hp-60gal compressor to 5hp-80 gal, and installed a good air dryer, but it still runs that compressor a lot.
    First thing each morning, I turn on the compressor and it stops at 135 psi, then turn the machine on to run the 20 minute warm up cycle. My air is regulated to the machine at 100 psi.

I noticed today that after 11 minutes, the compressor had to run again. In the warm up cycle, there are no tool changes, so how does it use that much air in 11 minutes?
    My compressor is set to 95-135. So an 80 gal tank at 135, drained down to 95, with no tool changes. .

I was machining some foam today and noticed that when I stopped and removed a tool holder, the air pressure from the spindle was blowing foam chips around on top of the part 10 inches below.
    Those chips are super lightweight, but that just seems like a lot of air going out. Does any of this seem normal, or do I have an air leak problem??

Re: How much air should a VF2 use?

My TM-2P uses a lot of air at a tool change, but that is only for a few seconds. I think the rest of the time it uses no air. I would be checking for leaks.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Re: How much air should a VF2 use?

Quote Originally Posted by Racecar View Post
    I bought a new VF2 in 2015, and it has been a great machine. This year, I upgraded from a 3hp-60gal compressor to 5hp-80 gal, and installed a good air dryer, but it still runs that compressor a lot.
    First thing each morning, I turn on the compressor and it stops at 135 psi, then turn the machine on to run the 20 minute warm up cycle. My air is regulated to the machine at 100 psi.

I noticed today that after 11 minutes, the compressor had to run again. In the warm up cycle, there are no tool changes, so how does it use that much air in 11 minutes?
    My compressor is set to 95-135. So an 80 gal tank at 135, drained down to 95, with no tool changes. .

I was machining some foam today and noticed that when I stopped and removed a tool holder, the air pressure from the spindle was blowing foam chips around on top of the part 10 inches below.
    Those chips are super lightweight, but that just seems like a lot of air going out. Does any of this seem normal, or do I have an air leak problem??
    It will depend if you have an oil mist spindle then it uses 17 PSI while it is running, if you put your hand just below the spindle you will feel the air coming out this keeps coolant and chips out of the spindle bearings as well as lubes the Bearings

Add another tank this will give your compressor a longer break
    Mactec54