585,556 active members*
3,632 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Grinding > I need to flatten a piece of extrusion

I need to flatten a piece of extrusion

Alloy 6061 10mm x 200mm x 620mm. The alloy is extruded, so its kind of straight but not if you know what I mean. I guess its about 0.5mm out.

I am too tight to pay someone to machine it flat and my router is not good enough. Its for a new Z axis in order to make a machine that can make things flat.

So. I am thinking a block with something like 600 grit wet and dry? I tried a stone but dont see that working.

Thoughts from a metalwork Guru? Thanks

Re: I need to flatten a piece of extrusion

Please help me to understand here.....

Is this the piece that you have already modified for your Z axis from another thread? Did it bend after being bolted together?

Or was it a little bit off before that?

Or are you talking about another piece? Is this for the piece the spindle will mount to?

I assume it has a little bit of a curl to it? In which way...along the 200mm or the 600mm?

Yeh cool no worries. Yes its the back plate that the linear rails and hardware bolt too. Yes different section of forum I dont know who looks at what and this is not something I am familiar with tbh. So I have posted here in the manufacturing grinding section,.

Correct, its been drilled and I found it had a small curl on the 200mm. I managed to get that out today but now it has a curl on the 600mm so I cant seem to win. I guess what I can do is by the time I install the sides and linear rails it should pull straight. Its very small but I would like it to be better.

This is the diagram - piece I am working on is the green one. I have drilled out the sides every 40mm (approx) and they are straight. Its just not as flat as I would like. Darn

Yes, I see from the drawing that you've bolted your stiffeners on the sides....

rats, I should have said something. If you bolted through the plate into the stiffeners instead it should pull it flat.

Ha. True true! I actually milled it flat last night - very carefully, by bolting it down to a sacrificial surface already machined with the same router. Does that make sense? I also found that it was only 0.4mm out of flat - seems like a huge gap until you actually measure it.

So the final result, is, the surface that holds the rails and ballscrew has been flattened to the best I can. I then rotated it, and machined the back where the linear blocks sit to hold it to the gantry.

The sides are only 6mm so drilling into them would have been a bit tight. I have actually found its quite flat now with the machining I have done. Along with the linear rails being SBR20, drilled at 75mm intervals should end up with something quite flat and very rigid.

Thanks mate for the words