584,802 active members*
5,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Laser engraving using AMADA ENSIS 3015 - how to cut deeper?

Laser engraving using AMADA ENSIS 3015 - how to cut deeper?

Good morning!

I'm in the middle of trying to figure out how to carve out material using an Amada ENSIS fiber laser.

I dont mean marking with oxygen or nitrogen, I need to be able to carve out a makers mark. I'll link some images of my trials so far but I'll try and explain what I need.

Currently we use the laser to create label plates and we etch these plates using nitrogen and sometimes oxygen. Right now, I want to try and do some deep engraving.

I don’t need to go too deep but deep enough so that the parts are legible and will show after painting.

On my own I discovered the cross hatch setting in AP100 (the programming software) and have done a few tests – however there are some problem spots. Specifically, the space between the letters, the wall and the “D” and the top and bottom of the “I”

Oddly enough I can get the “F” to look fine and legible but I cant do the same for the other two.

Im researching on the internet for answers but if you guys have a sure fire way to vaporize material and make it look clean id love to know how.

https://imgur.com/a/Yh5Gwzh

Re: Laser engraving using AMADA ENSIS 3015 - how to cut deeper?

Quote Originally Posted by -Soma- View Post
    Good morning!

I'm in the middle of trying to figure out how to carve out material using an Amada ENSIS fiber laser.

I dont mean marking with oxygen or nitrogen, I need to be able to carve out a makers mark. I'll link some images of my trials so far but I'll try and explain what I need.

Currently we use the laser to create label plates and we etch these plates using nitrogen and sometimes oxygen. Right now, I want to try and do some deep engraving.

I don’t need to go too deep but deep enough so that the parts are legible and will show after painting.

On my own I discovered the cross hatch setting in AP100 (the programming software) and have done a few tests – however there are some problem spots. Specifically, the space between the letters, the wall and the “D” and the top and bottom of the “I”

Oddly enough I can get the “F” to look fine and legible but I cant do the same for the other two.

Im researching on the internet for answers but if you guys have a sure fire way to vaporize material and make it look clean id love to know how.

https://imgur.com/a/Yh5Gwzh
    In looking at your pictures, it looks like the depth is achieved, however, as you pointed out the D and I perimeter do not have the depth evenly reduced. My guess is that this is a software issue, because in the current software, some automatic calculated functions within the Amada software vary the speed over these locations. In addition, the material removal may be uneven because the nozzle standoff is varying during the engraving (automatic capacitance height sense) so that the nozzle height and ejection of metal varies. You could video the process then download the video to your computer and slowly go through it to see if the head is indeed moving up and down during the engraving. If possible, you may want to turn off the capacitance height motion after the job starts.

As for deep engraving using this type of laser, it is typically not done. One of the reasons is that a pulsed, higher peak power laser is typically used. The peak powers may be in the tens of kilowatts, so they are more effective at removing metal in a more controlled manner.

Here is an exerp from a Quantronix YAG marker manual:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The laser beam can be emitted in either one of two modes: “Continuous
    Wave (CW) or Q-switched (pulsed)”. In CW mode; the laser emits a
    consistent, low-energy beam.

In Q-switched mode, an RF signal is applied to the Q-switch, which is
    located inside the laser marking head. The signal forces the Q-switch to
    momentarily block the path of reflection between the laser’s front and rear
    mirrors, stopping beam emission and causing energy to build up in the
    laser cavity. When the RF signal is removed, the path of reflection is
    restored and a burst of power is released. The result is a high-energy beam
    capable of marking deeper marks than a non –pulsed beam. Since this