585,931 active members*
4,407 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Hi Mark,
    first of all thanks for helping out today. after you left I took the back off the Bridgeport control to check the leads from the transformer and found one had come off at the solder tag. soldered it back on and its up and running. before this
    I connected my spare VDU and this made no difference. and now on to the Beaver,
    spindle drive board ,burnt out capacitor (the square one) I had 2 spares in my lucky dip box of electronics put in a new one , still getting the allstop fault. checked the resistor next to it and getting a high reading replaced that and now the machine is up and running no need to spend money on a new drive board. must have been my lucky day I also found the Bridgeport book the same as the one you loaned to me.
    cheers
    Brian
    BR

Battery Changing

Leapt in hear a couple of days late, (spent a week in Greece on holiday) point to note, if you have the proper batteries, pull the board with power off, stand it on an insulating surface e.g. bit of cardboard or the like, remove old battery, fit new, all should remain. Parameters etc will remain if you take a very short time to change the battery as the discharge rate of the capacitors is relatively slow, hence quick change no data loss. Fit the battery the wrong way round (one of my blokes did this) you will lose everything.
    GEM

Gem,thanks for that.I had heard it could be done that way but did not want to chance it.I have made up a battery pack with two leads and narrow crocodile clips.The idea was the batteries are mounted on upstands about 6mm high and I was going to clip my pack on there and then change the batteries.
    What else do you know about Mazaks in general and M2`s in particular?You`re not near Edinburgh by any chance?
    Mark.

Mark,

Thanks again for checking those LED's. I did talk to a tech today. He said the FX27 board controls the CRT as well as the operator panel. It's the interface board. I'm going to double check all connections and make sure there are no broken wires. I have a feeling that board will be quite expensive if it needs to be replaced. I found a guy in Canada that can replace/repair the CRT for $850.

GEM,

Any and all information you can provide is welcome. Do you have any ideas concerning the CRT issues both Mark and I are having?

Nate

Spoke to an ex Mazak tech today,told me to re-initialise the control,basically the same as onthebutton recommended.He told me to set dipswitch two to the opposite of what it was at,power up and down twice then reset switch two to original position.Done it,alarm gone and monitor back up.Servos powered,spindle drive powered and hydraulics on,just where i was a few weeks back.Feels like I`m starting to get there.
    Now I`ll have to go and do some paying work.
    BTW,the Mazak guy reckons these monitors fail at start up,repair about $1000 in the UK.He says sometimes they will start working again by leaving them on for a few hours and also by switching them off and on repeatedly.

Thanks for the Update! It sounds like things are coming together Mark and GEM, you both have PM's.

Nate

Looks like two steps forward and one back.When I went back to the machine after resetting it the other day I noticed I had a load of leds on in the Freqrol drive,more than I wanted.So I powered machine down and up and the Freqrol and everything came up ok except for the b***** monitor and no amount of coaxing will make it change its mind.That`s one for the weekend.
    Spent this morning at the heat exchangers on the elec cabinet doors.The four external fans were not running.On the left hand door they were choked solid with congealed muck so stripped the whole heat exchanger and cleaned it.Got the two bottom fans running again but one of them a bit weak on the old smoke test so will replace that.The exchanger on the right hand door was clean but both external and one of the top fans were us.Replaced the top fan but couldn`t find the rest of the spare ones in the store so will need to order some.They are only about $35-40 each here so probably cheaper in the States.Also need a new fan for in the end of the spindle motor.Will check the fans on the control,spindle and servo drives at the weekend then it`s the oil cooler and hydraulics next.
    Sounds like a lot of work but I do it on all my cnc`s at least once a year.
    Mark.

Mark,

I hear you on the two steps forward one step back. Turns out my buddy was able to bring the control up on ready, (screen came on) but when he went to move the axis the table tried to take off on it's own and the head moves backwards(i.e. Z+ is now Z- and so forth). I'm pretty sure this is probably parameter problems. I'll go through them all when I can. Other than the monitor problem, which has persisted for several years, none of the other problems started until the error 22 which, like I said, more than likely means parameter corruption.
    I'll check the fans too. So far this year I've replaced a couple bad fans on other machines.

Nate

Just a follow up,

I was able to get back to the machine today and after the reset procedure alarm 22 is now cleared, servos, hydraulics, etc are all back up online.

Now there is a new problem. I am now getting an Machine Fault code 238 "IND TABLE CLAMP PROX OFF MALF"(exact on screen description). When I jog the z axis with the handwheel in the - direction, it moves +, and vice versa. Also when I move the handle on any axis, the axis will drift with a varying amount based on how fast you turn the handle. In other words if I rotate the handle in a particular direction and let go the axis will continue to move until the wheel is turned in the reverse direction.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Is this possibly a parameter issue?

Thanks,
    Nate

Nate,

SOrry for jumping in late. I have had this problem in the past. When a Mazak sits to long without power (for charging the batteries), you lose the paramters. You need to reload them either by hand from the hard copy or via the microdisk backup. You need to replace the batteries for sure, best to do this before the reload. Hope I didn't miss anything else speed reading. Joe

Newguy81,

It's never too late. Information is always welcome. When you had the battery issue and brought it back up did you also have the axis drift problem along with the Machine fault 238 code?

Thanks,
    Nate

No, didn't have that happen. Try the parameter reload.

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    point to note, if you have the proper batteries, pull the board with power off, stand it on an insulating surface e.g. bit of cardboard or the like, remove old battery, fit new, all should remain. Parameters etc will remain if you take a very short time to change the battery as the discharge rate of the capacitors is relatively slow, hence quick change no data loss. Fit the battery the wrong way round (one of my blokes did this) you will lose everything.
    GEM
    Be careful with this method. Although this will work on some of the newer style M2 and T2 controls it will not work on the older version's because there were no capacitors to hold a charge. Good point about making sure the battery is installed in the correct direction though as there is no fail safe for the instalation direction.

Update.
    I put my monitor in to a tv repair guy who is quite good with them.Got word back today to say the monitor is ok.As we both got this problem after re-initialising the control it must be something to do with it.I suspect the FX727 board as it controls the monitor so the next step is to see if it is outputting the 5v signal.
    My contact in the UK midlands who has a vast experience of all things Mazak and who has been extremely helpful has had this problem in the past is trying to remember exactly what it was and hopefully will come up with something.Email also sent to Mits service in the States.
    Will post again when I have something.
    Mark.

Update.
    Got monitor back from repair shop and fitted it.Powered machine up and monitor worked.Shut machine down and restarted it and monitor failed.Took monitor back to tv guy,he replaced two caps on the power supply board on the side of the monitor and now working perfect.Cost $80 total.
    No reply from Mits sofar,sometimes takes about three weeks,still better than Mazak.I`m still waiting on electrical drawings ordered early April and promised delivery for early August.
    I need battery packs for the ram boards,anyone know where I can get them apart from Mazak?
    Now have params to enter, pressure switch for head lube to source,repair slide/ballscrew lube system,source fan for spindle motor and test run Freqrol spindle drive which is showing all the correct leds since I repaired it but has not been test run yet.
    All I need now is to find some spare time to spend on the machine.

You can get the fan from Oriental Motor, stick with batteries from Mazak, I think I have the pressure swicth from the VQC I had. Is it the one that is on the front of the spindle headstock?

Newguy,re batteries,problem is I`m getting absolutely nowhere with Mazak so need to source batteries elsewhere.
    The pressure switch is the one at the front of the head,just above the scavenge pump.Could you check to see if it is NC or NO?Would it have the pressure stamped on it?
    Re motor fan,have found Oriental Motor in the UK and will contact them when I can find the time to return to the machine.

Here is the Mazak part number for the battery if they can't find one for you: D50MA001020 $59.78 USD. As usual, no stock here in the states. Send me your email and I will send you a picture of the switch. Joe

Just looked at a battery, GS-Melcotec is the manufacturer and their p/n is 3GB170-FB2 if Mazak persists in not helping. Joe

Mazak batteries

Two types of battery in the UK, I think the higher rated is for M32 system memory.
    Type GB-170 Mazak No SAFT3GB0010 @ £17 ish
    Type GB-280 Mazak No SAFT3GB0020 @ £17 ish
    both were ex stock last time I had some. Part numbers supercede the numbers in the parts book.

Page 2 of 3 123