585,578 active members*
4,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Software needed

I have an Allen Bradley Ultra 3000 (2098-dsd-030) servo drive. Couldnt find the Allen Bradley software (UltraWare) for this drive. However I downloaded the software from Giddings site which works with this drive, its called DSApro.
    My problem however is the motor I have is not listed in the database in DSAPro and although I have set it up as one of the listed motors, and it runs well on the bench, I would prefer to get it correct. I looked in the Help file and it says that the software should load with a motor config aplication so that custom motors can be defined but I dont seem to have that. Anyone know where I can get it or any other way to define a custom motor?

Thanks for any help

Hood

You could try R D Engineering in Arbroath,Scotland.The guy in there spends his whole life messing about with servo drives.I believe he even has a test bench set up in his bedroom.
    Mark.

Thanks for the reply but afraid I have already tried him, very nice, helpfull knowledgeable guy. He told me to ask a guy called Mark McGrath from Fife but when I did I am afraid he was of no help at all

Hood

Am I right in thinking that guy in Arbroath is an English gentleman,i.e. no brains where as I believe that McGrath chappie is recognised as a bit of an intellectual.Please also remember a fool can ask questions a wise man cannot answer.
    Mark.

where as I believe that McGrath chappie is recognised is a bit of an intellectual
    Well as Mr McGrath cant even get his spelling correct it just goes to show how easily the internet can fool people .

Hood,
    I have sent you an e-mail.

Thanks eibbor but afraid I already have UltraMaster software and it doesnt recognise these drives, its UltraWare I need or to be precise its the motor config program that supposedly comes with it.
    Hood

Software Servo tuning

Hi Hood,

Its interesting that you managed to find a software that works with the Ultra3000.

Do you know if you can do auto tuning or perhaps manual tuning with this software?

Perhaps that is the way out of not having dedicated software bits for your specific motor.

Will appreciate you sharing your experience running DSApro with the Ultra3000 as I am considering getting some surplus Ultra3000 drivers to run my new mini-mill!

Thanks alot
    cheers
    fgc

fgc
    The software from Giddings and Lewis works great for these drives, also the standard motor profiles within the software are for the equivelent of the Allen Bradley badged motors, just that they use different numbers, eg a 4075 from AB is called a 490 from G&L.
    Also I found out that the motor config utility actually comes with the Giddings software, just its an option while installing that I missed as its not the default option, reinstalled the software and chose the option and it works great.
    As far as the tuning is concerned, yes you can do both manual and auto tuning but you need to have your motors specs set first before doing that.

Hood

Hi Hood,

Way cool! thanks for your post and the wonderful info. I am now encouraged by what you wrote and this is another possible driver combination that I can run with.

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate you sharing your experience =)

fgc

Just in case you dont know, the Giddings and Lewis DSA drives are exactly the same drives as the AB Ultra DSD's, also Electrocraft and a few others but not sure of the model numbers from them.
    I am using one AB DSD and one G&L DSA drive in my Lathe. The G&L drive is a sercos version but that can be disabled in the software so that it just acts like a standard drive.
    Hood

Yeh I heard about that guy from fife too
    BR

Robin did you get that big lathe working ?
    Brian
    BR

Brian
    Its almost done, just have to get some tooling now and make up holders for the boring bars etc. Did some cuts with it a while back but didnt have the front post plumbed or wired at that time but got it all working now.
    I have a Beaver mill now that is next for the retrofit, had a TNC145 on it but that will be going on eBay shortly.

Hood

Great news Robin, I may pop down next week
    cheers
    Brian
    BR

Best to phone me first, unless you will in Arbroath anyway, as I have a few jobs away from the workshop next week.

Hood

Thanks Robin will do
    BR

pull studs

Hi Robin ,
    how did you get on with the pull-stud I loaned to you ?
    are you still interested in one of the 5 Boxford ACL cnc lathes for retrofit

cheers
    Brian
    BR

Brian,
    worked perfectly, made up a load of extended ones for my mill as I have decided that as I am going to make a tool changer I am better sticking to one type of 40 taper. I have quite a lot of the CAT style holders so thats the ones I will use. I have not been back to Dundee since I borrowed it from you apart from at a weekend and I know you are never at the workshop at weekends I can post it to you if you are needing it back fairly soon, if not I will pass it in next time I am up.

Would love one of the Boxfords but a few things are stopping me at the moment, time and room being the two major factors If you could throw in 3 or 4 extra hours in the day and maybe turn my workshop into the tardis I would snap your hand off to get one

Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I have an Allen Bradley Ultra 3000 (2098-dsd-030) servo drive. Couldnt find the Allen Bradley software (UltraWare) for this drive. However I downloaded the software from Giddings site which works with this drive, its called DSApro.
    My problem however is the motor I have is not listed in the database in DSAPro and although I have set it up as one of the listed motors, and it runs well on the bench, I would prefer to get it correct. I looked in the Help file and it says that the software should load with a motor config aplication so that custom motors can be defined but I dont seem to have that. Anyone know where I can get it or any other way to define a custom motor?

Thanks for any help

Hood
    to download ultraware go to: http://www.software.rockwell.com/sup...il.cfm?ID=3655

I have used (my driver is a 2098-dsd-005) it and its really nice, Im planning to buid a cnc router too, please reply

Page 1 of 2 12