584,866 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Yet another KTI Missing!

Hello again everyone! I just want to start this of saying my machine functions perfectly fine with the external mouse. As I get into learning the A2100 control, it becomes more and more obvious that the user interface is so well designed for the touch screen that I frequently stab at the screen with my finger without even thinking about it.

I would like to put some time into troubleshooting the touch screen to speed up my upcoming workflow.

I have the LCD OSA, but i am not sure if this started out as a CRT machine and was later upgraded.

The LCD OSA video screen works well, but I cannot rectify the Keypad / touchscreen missing error. I get the "beep" from it on startup, the red light blips on and then turns off. Visual inspection of the board looks solid and relatively new. All connections are tight on the board itself.

This might be a silly question, but does the handshake signal from the KTI to the PC go through the 6-pin terminal block (cable 504) or through the OSA Video AMP connector? I am also wondering if the drivers for this LCD OSA are installed and configured properly on WinNT. What would the "device" name of the KTI be? Is it the "chips" device?
    ""

Re: Yet another KTI Missing!

Whether your machine started with an LCD or not depends on when it was made and affects some of the other hardware in the control. The original A2100's had a CRT, they then evolved to an LCD using LVDS (first on a separate graphics card, then integrated into the WS board). After some LVDS issues, they went back to a standard VGA plug on both the WS board and LCD monitor. If you have the LVDS video, your machine came with the LCD monitor, if it uses a VGA plug, it depends on whether it was made before 98 (CRT) or after 2000.

There are a few different components that can fail and cause the touchscreen to fail. Over the years, I have seen the LVDS receiver card, the KTI board or the touchscreen itself all fail causing the touchscreen to quit working, as well as corrupted settings in Windows from unqualified IT people working on it. For my local customers, I have all the parts necessary to test and figure out which of the FRUs has failed. If you have time to send your OSA to me, I can verify this for you as well, but since the machine is running as is, understand it is hard to justify taking it out of service for this.

I've never dug into it, but the "Chips" device is related to the LVDS, not specifically the KTI (although the KTI signals go through the LVDS card).

On the LCD OSA version with the 50-pin SCSI connector, the serial data leaves the KTI board and goes down the 'AMP' 50 Pin SCSI Connector either to the (1) WSCPU board directly, or to the older (2) AV545-LVDS-1PF-A2100 adapter Card. If (2) then there is a 9 pin ribbon cable from the LVDS board over to COM2 on the WSCPU board. The 'Control Reference Manual' describes how to test the 'Touch Screen' for proper operation.
    There is +8 Volts going to the KTI-2 Board from the A2100 PCA which is rectified to +5V on the KTI-2. If the Touch Screen and +8Volts are present then it is most likely a bad KTI board.
    There is Never a need to change or install Drivers for the Touch Screen, or for a PS2-External Mouse. Call Fives-MSI-Cincinnati Technical Support at 1-859-534-4750 for further support.

Thank you for your replies maver1ck and gwood! It feels like we are getting somewhere. I definitely should have provided more info (and pictures) up front. I looked up the ribbon cable that gwood mentioned and it seems like the ribbon cable on my LVDS board connects one part of the board to itself, possibly outputting to the port J22. It seemed to logically imply that I should run a cable between J22 "Op station data" to J19 "Op station data". I tried that, but it made no difference. I dug out the control reference manual and page 2-24 is telling me that P1 KTI Board should connect to the "Workstation CPU Board SERIAL PORT". If you take a look at my pictures below, the cable connected to P1 is numbered 504. The only other cable I found in the main cabinet labeled 504 goes into the input board. Page 2-25 tells me P2 KTI goes to J15 on the BBB. If you take a look at my second picture, J15 is not connected to anything! This is how I received the machine so I am thoroughly confused. Is my control reference manual the wrong Rev?
    Attachment 447348

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5187.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	447350

Name:	IMG_5186.JPG 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	447352

Even if the KTI-2 board was good, you are missing the ribbon Cable from your LVDS Board to the 9-Pin Op-Station-Data Port.

gwood,
    I don't really see any suitable connectors for ribbon cables beside the one on the card mentioned previously. Can you point me in the direction of where it would connect in the picture below?

Name:	IMG_5200.JPG 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	447372

I found this picture on the interwebs that seems to show this ribbon cable. Is this it? Does it have a different pinout than a standard DB9 cable?

Name:	s-l400.jpg 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	447454