584,808 active members*
5,115 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SlantPro precision tool setting

Hi Folks. I have been thinking about CNC Lathe toolsetting again and plan to make some new design prototype toolsetters soon.

I will probably make a video on the new toolsetter design, and If there is interest I may make a batch for beta testing supply.

Please post your thoughts on the subject of toolsetting here. Cheers Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1LW4tpKau4&t=7s

Re: SlantPro precision tool setting

Hi keen.
    Always enjoy your informative videos over the years. This one made the lathe tool setup a more straight forward process. Explaining your going to need to use a number of technics.
    I'm getting up to speed on best practice for tool setups and run into a question on knurl tools and what would be a good strategy for setup and using them in programs?
    Any ideas? Anyone else use knurl tools in their cnc programs?

Hi Mountaindew.

Thanks for the feedback. Knurling on SP. Well for medium to large steel parts I would definitely not use single thrust type knurls, but use double clamp type knurls. (SP spindle is quite light). For low volume knurling I would rather do that operation on a manual lathe.

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi Mountaindew.

Thanks for the feedback. Knurling on SP. Well for medium to large steel parts I would definitely not use single thrust type knurls, but use double clamp type knurls. (SP spindle is quite light). For low volume knurling I would rather do that operation on a manual lathe.

Cliff
    Tormach even lists a double clamp type knurl in tools for rapid turn in oxa format 3/8 inch. Wanted to add this to my setups and was thinking how you would set offsets. One thing I want to do Is make some custom thumb screws with large knurled knobs. Much like what you put on your indicator. Would like to profile, thread, knurl then part off. And make them in any size I want. Anyway I will figure something out.

8l lath has 2 accessory ports btw and could be developed with touch off routines as you mentioned.

I like your simple touch off tool with flat at 0 centerline. Got to make me one to use. Should make some tools faster to setup. I have a new 8l that I'm getting tooled up for making small parts with front mount tool post.

Also like your audio touch off tool system also. That would make tool setups more repeatable and far less fiddly using paper or touched / turned surfaces and mics.