584,830 active members*
5,379 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Sprutcam9ALL POST drama

Sprutcam9ALL POST drama

this issue seems to pop up for me like every 2 years

the plunge feeds get all weird on me, no matter what i do i cant seem to control it, it just wants to default to 100% work feed for the plunge feed even though i am specifically giving it a plunge feed..

any help would be great

thanks guys

Re: Sprutcam9ALL POST drama

This is my reason for still using sprut 7, I have the bugs pretty well figured out and I dont want to go thru the hassle again with a new set due to an upgrade.

I have one that breaks taps because when I save the tool it doesnt include the drilling tapping box with tapping selected and the default is simple drilling, this has made a few 2 piece taps for me.
    another is the drill tip is not included in a simple drilling op, I have to go to properties and change it there, this should be a default but it isnt.

all in all though it works pretty well.
    mike sr

After hours of messing with it I ended using some random as heck combination of setting values for work feed and plunge feed individually and then other operation I had to use the other way and some other operations I had to manually edit the gcode which completely sucks because no matter what I did it just kept defaulting to 100% work feed and YES, 100% work feed was unchecked and I even played with the work feed % and still nothing.

And yes, I agree, main reason for ME not wanting to upgrade is the endless learning Of bug work arounds. :-(

When things get wonkey in sprutcam and they still do in version 14.

I start by rebooting computer. and running sprutcam only
    I tend to use what I call part templates. These are files that have a list of common ops and offsets preset and ready to load a model into.
    Start with a new empty sprutcam file and see if problem is still there.
    I also will load one of over a thousand of older files I have and check if the problem persists in those programs.
    And check for temporary files associated with my project and delete them also.

Often like magic the problem appears like tpr mentions and then magically stops and all is well.
    And its hard to know what you did to fix it if anything. "I call them program file data structure errors"
    The newest version is much better with far less problems as it should be! But still the program is a complex pain in the ass at times and frustrates even long time power users like me.
    What keeps me on the train is the ability to often setup complex multisided part programs in a matter of minutes complete with fixtures. And have good code to make it first time.
    To be honest any more I think mostly about how many clicks with mouse it takes to get it all setup. Most if not all the critical settings are all preset in my part templates and user defined operations and require little change. "unless you find a problem like tpr did"
    For me a new n+1 computer and ws gfx would solve I bet many of my current frustrations with sprutcam 14 and the gigantic code files I often generate for my router These models will bring my computer to its knees trying to compile the code for all the features. oh and one setting like adaptive feed rate can double the file size easy!

Anyway wish I could help! But the first couple ideas mentioned is about all i found that helps consistently

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    When things get wonkey in sprutcam and they still do in version 14.

I start by rebooting computer. and running sprutcam only
    I tend to use what I call part templates. These are files that have a list of common ops and offsets preset and ready to load a model into.
    Start with a new empty sprutcam file and see if problem is still there.
    I also will load one of over a thousand of older files I have and check if the problem persists in those programs.
    And check for temporary files associated with my project and delete them also.

Often like magic the problem appears like tpr mentions and then magically stops and all is well.
    And its hard to know what you did to fix it if anything. "I call them program file data structure errors"
    The newest version is much better with far less problems as it should be! But still the program is a complex pain in the ass at times and frustrates even long time power users like me.
    What keeps me on the train is the ability to often setup complex multisided part programs in a matter of minutes complete with fixtures. And have good code to make it first time.
    To be honest any more I think mostly about how many clicks with mouse it takes to get it all setup. Most if not all the critical settings are all preset in my part templates and user defined operations and require little change. "unless you find a problem like tpr did"
    For me a new n+1 computer and ws gfx would solve I bet many of my current frustrations with sprutcam 14 and the gigantic code files I often generate for my router These models will bring my computer to its knees trying to compile the code for all the features. oh and one setting like adaptive feed rate can double the file size easy!

Anyway wish I could help! But the first couple ideas mentioned is about all i found that helps consistently
    Thanks for the reply man, I appreciate that and yes very frustrating but just part of the game

I do the same thing, soon as I get some weird stuff I restart the machine and launch a fresh session and sometimes that’s all it takes to clear the weirdness but yesterday was ridiculously frustrating, I also created a new file thinking it was corrupted or something and it just kept doing the same nonsense